Thread: Exchange rate changes and chica prices

Thanks

Exchange rate changes and chica prices

I don't know if this belongs in this forum or in the shooting the breeze forum because I really don't have a specific point or question, except maybe in general about prices in Sosua these days.

This started out in the Blackbeard's forum in Questions from a newbie. I noticed that the going rate there is constant in dollars from last year---- but only if you assume an exchange rate of 50.

Well I am not discussing Blackbeard's in particular. Some of the threads I have been reading lately mention some really high prices for freelancers and I can't help but wonder if the damn peso when it was 50 got prices pegged at that, and now the chicas who seemed so attentive to changes in the rate when it was going up, now seem not to have noticed that it has gone down. Guys are paying 2500, 3000, even more than that --- for an all nighter from a freelancer in Sosua that was 1500 last year?

I guess if I have a point here at all it is to say that if the peso goes back to 35 or 30 we are in the shit.

Partly I'm just blowing off a little steam here. This dropping peso has been a pain in the ass. Most of the hotels are priced in dollars so I didn't think the drop was saving me much. During the course of my six trips last year the peso was constantly dropping, and some chicas were actually demanding more money based on that, and when I said no they would say shit like "how many pesos you get for dollar, more--yes?" What a stupid fucking conversation to be having with a working girl, of all people. I expect I will see them all reading the wall street jounal at the bars when I get there. Turning off the merengue so they can watch the business news on TV.

If that damn peso goes to 35 or thereabouts what we will have is "instant Costa Rica".

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Re: Exchange rate changes and chica prices

Quote Originally Posted by mackey
    ...I guess if I have a point here at all it is to say that if the peso goes back to 35 or 30 we are in the shit....If that damn peso goes to 35 or thereabouts what we will have is "instant Costa Rica".
    I have to disagree here, now don't get me wrong but there a couple factors you are forgetting. (just opinion)

1. Chicas are going crazy with prices because unlike most American whores their money is going somewhere good, feeding kids, family, paying electrical bill, rent, etc. Sure some of it is going to their Dominican boyfriends. But they whore because with one or two mongers they can make a month's salary, if you figure the minimum wage in a free zone is roughly $60 per month. It's even worse if you go to the free zones near the border, is it $1,690RD!!! (That's $40US at a 43-1 rate). Now due to the current economic crisis and inflation there the peso has dropped AND the prices have gone up too, I think I have read of 4 price increases in electricity in the past year alone. It's not just the tourist restaurants with menus with the prices in ink, the whole country is that way.

2. Supply & Demand: still way more chicas then mongers! Only 2% of the population makes more then $50,000US per year! Now of the 98% left a good number of them are chicas between 18-30 years old, how many you think will be willing to let morals go for a few bucks? We control the market, sure I have paid more, but I did get some cheap quality this last trip.

3. Revisting #1, The free zone companies wouldn't stand for it, Prices would have to drop! Those US companies would be paying each worker $56US per month, trust me if it goes back to 30-1 the government would change the minimum wage.

Now I will give you one thing, you are right it will be instant Costa Rica but for only a few weeks. Until prices for other goods drop. The chicas are basing prices on what it costs to live, the exchange rate has not kept up with inflation so chica prices have risen. There are a lot more US Dollars coming into Western Union from family members who got out to PR/US then sucker mongers! And those families will not stand for it, think about it if it goes to 30-1 everything will be 67% more expensive and as I mentioned many people in the DR, not just the whores, live off of US Dollars.

We talk about getting a 1000+ members so we can have the resorts change their "No Chica" policies. If the rate changes drastically, like head south to 35, then we should step up and put our foot down!

A 30-1 rate would be a whole lot better for everyone:

1. Less inflation, so prices would lower and stay stable for everything, if leche and pampers weren't so expensive the chicas wouldn't be hiking prices.

2. Our vacations would be less since inflation is raising prices at hotels who already deal only in US Dollars even though they are getting more pesos for our dollars.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Prices stay the same!

Every trip I see new chicas that never had sex for money before and they are happy with 500 - 900 pesos. They are used to working for 5,000 pesos a month and the 500-900 I give them is a lot. Costa Rica is a lot smaller than Dom Republic and most of those girls are imported so they know the deal when they arrive.

Any monger with 4-5 trips under his belt should be getting a mix. Any newbi that plans on using house chicas at The Palace or Blackbeards should be happy that there are such places to stay at.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Re: Prices stay the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr
    Every trip I see new chicas that never had sex for money before and they are happy with 500 - 900 pesos. They are used to working for 5,000 pesos a month and the 500-900 I give them is a lot. Costa Rica is a lot smaller than Dom Republic and most of those girls are imported so they know the deal when they arrive.

Any monger with 4-5 trips under his belt should be getting a mix.
    I was going to mention something similar, worse case rent a SUV and get out Sosua. Head to the countryside and chicas are overjoyed to see you stop and pick them up. Pretty bad quality of life out there and 500-900 pesos will go a looooong way.

They get jaded around the tourist centers, get the fresh meat and it's like the good old days. (Note: never experienced the good old days but have read about them)

Thanks
    Thanks guys for the input.

I wasn't intending to complain specifically about places like BB and the Palace, I was using those prices as a barometer so to speak, since there is so much more variance in reports when it comes to the freelance scene around town.

I can see how the chicas would want more money if prices have gone up for all sorts of things in the country, I don't know much if anything about local conditions really. Hardly been out of the tourist areas. I will be spending some time in POP during my trip that's coming up in a few weeks, partly to try to get some idea of what a more real DR town is like, although heading for the campo would be better for that-- don't have the time for it this trip.

Over time we'll see what the exchange rate does and its effects. I hope I haven't discovered another vacation paradise about to be ruined pricewise. I loved CR but discovered it a little too late.

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts
    For all you guys worried about paying to much i will now dedicate my next trip to you... i will not pay more then 1000 pesos for Toda La Noche and try to get short stays for as low as nothing... it has been done before by BkBeast but it will take the handsome charming BkBeas to put it down !

Thread Information