Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 02/2006 - Continental airlines

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Re: Continental airlines

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    yea I definitely recognize a few counter people in POP and EWR. So I ask them for an upgrade?

Basically it started with me signing up for the bump list and then I asked who the supervisor was and from there I would say hello to him everytime I checked in. I was bumped 4 times and upgraded twice over the past 20 trips to DR.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

So you have to ask for an upgrade? I don't have that high of en elite status with continental so I don't see anything when I check in for an upgrade. I only fly 4-5 times a year so I probably don't quality.
    The very bottom rung of Elite status is requires about 30K miles flown in a 12 month period plus some kind of point system. Check your One-Pass account, it will show you how your advancing on elite status and also miles acrrued.

If not a FF for business, you best bet is to get CO World Mastercard thru Chase Bank. You get 20,000 miles for sign up, plus other bennies.

And besides making friends as Jimmy says, (which does work) you can at least buy upgrades to 1st class with you mileage that you get from the card. A 2-way 1st class upgrade from coach to 1st costs 30K miles to DR. But not doable if you purchase x fares.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

To save miles (cause I'm cheap with my miles also) I'll buy a coach ticket, change my flight-down seat to a bulkhead or exit row 24 hours before the flight leaves for the extra leg room, and then buy an upgrade to 1st class for the trip home (cost of 15K miles). Cause on the trip home I'm usually wiped out and need the extra comfort.

And any friends you can make are a bonus if it gets you a free bump. Bumps are a lot harder to get then they used to be tho, the airlines tightened up on that for the non-FF's.

I try to learn as many first names as I can and always use them. It helps...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    If you fly alot to the same place you will notice the counter staff to be the same people and just say hello to them and after time, you will be able to get upgraded because its available and they know you.
    Since non-traditional upgrades are last minute, they are handled by the gate agents, not the counter staff. But, your point is the same, get to know the employees.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Since non-traditional upgrades are last minute, they are handled by the gate agents, not the counter staff. But, your point is the same, get to know the employees.

In DR, the counter people and the gate agents for American are the same people.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    When I returned from POP on Continental in November I checked in online and it notified me at that time that an upgrade was available and asked if I wanted it.
    I'm guessing you have an elite status?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Basically it started with me signing up for the bump list and then I asked who the supervisor was and from there I would say hello to him everytime I checked in. I was bumped 4 times and upgraded twice over the past 20 trips to DR.
    Voluntary bumps are great. In addition to the free flight, generally you can finagle them to put you in First Class on the next available flight.

I'm curious, the two upgrades, were they part of the bump? Were they granted in the US or the DR? Which airline? The days it's tough for a non-Elite flyer to get upgraded on CO when flying from the US.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

There was a 2 hour delay so I asked if I could get first class and he said sure and the other time it was related to a bump.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

So you have to ask for an upgrade? I don't have that high of en elite status with continental so I don't see anything when I check in for an upgrade. I only fly 4-5 times a year so I probably don't quality.
    I've never outright asked for it. It just happened that when I checked in I was asked on the site whether or not I wanted it.

Originally I had purchased a first class ticket from October 31st until November 18th. I decided to stay through Thanksgiving and changed my flight to Nov 24th. As a result, I lost the 1st class because it wasn't available on the 24th. When it was time to leave, I checked in online and was then asked if I'd like the upgrade. Interestingly, though, when I arrived at the airport, I was told they were overbooked. I told 'em, the hell with it. I'd stay until the 29th if they'd promise me a first class flight on that date, and they said sure, and I got it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I'm guessing you have an elite status?
    Last I remembered, it's Silver elite. I've done a hell of alot of flying, particularly with Continental to the DR, over the course of the past 2 1/2 years, so it's nice to get something in return for the customer loyalty. In addition to that, I have a couple of AMEX cards tied in to their Rewards program.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I'd stay until the 29th if they'd promise me a first class flight on that date, and they said sure, and I got it.
    Rubicon: I also flew back on Continental on Nov 29th in first class. There were only 4 people in first class on that flight, 2 men and 2 women. I'm guessing you were the other guy in first class? Wish I had known you were an ISOC member, then I wouldn't have gotten up and switched seats when you say down next to me!

Thanks

Yep, that was me. If I remember right, I was the only one sitting on the left side of the plane, and 3 others on the right side.

BTW, it's a good thing you did move as, by that time, I was sick with a cold or flu, something I'm still trying to get over.

Thanks

contiental

I will be departing tomorrow for POP via ewr .Awoke this am logged into to check in online to see at a certain point the question to upgrade per segament 1st was 59.00 and second was 79.00 for a total of 138.00. This was a great deal as new baggage cost for CO is 25.00 first bag second bag 40.00 extra leg room 69.00 comes to 134.00 which I was ready to pay.So for 4.00 difference I will be 4th off plane plus free booze and food and access to first class club.
    I was checking all week to upgrade so I guess patience does payoff sometimes

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jim15687 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Re: contiental

Quote Originally Posted by jim15687 View Post
    I will be departing tomorrow for POP via ewr .Awoke this am logged into to check in online to see at a certain point the question to upgrade per segament 1st was 59.00 and second was 79.00 for a total of 138.00. This was a great deal as new baggage cost for CO is 25.00 first bag second bag 40.00 extra leg room 69.00 comes to 134.00 which I was ready to pay.So for 4.00 difference I will be 4th off plane plus free booze and food and access to first class club.

So because you are in first class you don't have to pay for baggage cost and second bag cost? Not having to pay for extra leg room I understand, but the baggage costs are included in first class or will you still have to pay them?
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,909 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    So because you are in first class you don't have to pay for baggage cost and second bag cost? Not having to pay for extra leg room I understand, but the baggage costs are included in first class or will you still have to pay them?

Its all included in the upgrade, you dont pay for first or second bag and you can carry up to 70LB instead of 50.

I do that all the time I fly on continental.
    Putas are like lottery tickets, sometimes you get a winner sometimes you get a loser.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vewdew View Post
    Its all included in the upgrade, you dont pay for first or second bag and you can carry up to 70LB instead of 50.

I do that all the time I fly on continental.
    There must have been a change in the past year or so, then, because last year, I believe it was early April, I was flying from Bangkok to POP, with a layover in Newark, and when checking in for my flight in Newark was told that I had to pay for the second bag, and that weight limit was 50 lbs. I was also flying first class on a paid ticket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jim15687 View Post
    Why would you want to carry all that shit to the DR? I travel with one of these and buy what I need in country. Travel light and no extra charge.

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishhunter View Post
    Why would you want to carry all that shit to the DR? I travel with one of these and buy what I need in country. Travel light and no extra charge.
    Click to see pic
    Looks like a suitcase nuke from russia...LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 17,369 Times in 2,486 Posts

Whats up with Continental????

last year they used to have two flights a day from EWR to POP, everyday of the week.

i just took a look at October and it is only one flight on Saturday only???

and because it is only one flight per week, there is no hope of a special 200-300 deal like I have flown in the past.

I hope this is just pre merger nonsense. Otherwise Sosua might be a just a memory for me.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sporthobbyist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,220 Times in 1,957 Posts

Re: Whats up with Continental????

Quote Originally Posted by sporthobbyist View Post
    last year they used to have two flights a day from EWR to POP, everyday of the week.

i just took a look at October and it is only one flight on Saturday only???

and because it is only one flight per week, there is no hope of a special 200-300 deal like I have flown in the past.

I hope this is just pre merger nonsense. Otherwise Sosua might be a just a memory for me.
    try jet blue NYC flights every day

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information