Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: 02/2006 - Continental airlines

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Re: Whats up with Continental????

Maybe start a thread on carpooling with other guys, cause Jet Blue from JFK seems to be the best ticket right now. And they are consistent. POP, and STI (which is even less most times).
    Whats strange about jet blue in Santiago, they have 2 flights literally like 1.5 hours apart to JFK in the evening , and both flights are not full at all.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,369 Times in 2,486 Posts

I am mile whore and only fly continental. It used to be great. Most of my flights to POP were in the 200 range(pre tax) and free upgrade to business class.

POP is a destination that i would fly to everytime there was a deal. But i guess those days are gone. The only Sat flights in Oct were mid 700(pre tax)

I guess its San Jose for me!!??

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sporthobbyist For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sporthobbyist View Post
    I am mile whore and only fly continental. It used to be great. Most of my flights to POP were in the 200 range(pre tax) and free upgrade to business class.

POP is a destination that i would fly to everytime there was a deal. But i guess those days are gone. The only Sat flights in Oct were mid 700(pre tax)

I guess its San Jose for me!!??
    You do know they fly to Santo Domingo every day. You could fly into Santo Domingo and leave from POP. You can take the bus to Sosua its not that hard or bad.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,745 Times in 562 Posts

Yep a lot less flights on most airlines to many destinations, it sucks. If Delta doesn't bring back the ATL-POP run this winter I'll either be flying into SDQ or driving 3 hrs to catch American thru MIA to POP. What a hassle.
    "The only known aphrodisiac is variety."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacoloco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,369 Times in 2,486 Posts

Re: contiental

I am allowed three bags up to 70lbs each for free on Continental

Out of all the trips i have made to POP. Business class was always free. But it is about a three hour flight so its not such a big deal

I want a full complimentary upgrade on a SEA flight!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sporthobbyist For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am flying into pop this trip and out of santo domingo theres a charter air service for like 79.00 if your not up to the bus trip.Only thing is I believe they only fly on monday and fridays

http://www.dominicanshuttles.com/

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jim15687 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

I can't catch a fuckin break with CO.

I posted previously that I went back to work a year ago after being out of work for 2 1/2 years. It became something of a problem as I haven't been able to get more than 3 days off at any given time, although I TOOK 8 days this past October without asking so I could handle the partial sale of my house in POP.

This morning, and out of the blue, my boss said "You're going to the DR Thanksgiving weekend, aren't you?", and I told her yeah. She said "Well, why don't you take the following Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off as well." My knees buckled, and I did everything I could to keep from dancing a jig right there in her office.

I walked out of her office and immediately went to the Continental site and pulled up my reservations with the intention to change my return flight from Nov. 27 to Nov. 30. Of course as my luck would have it there isn't a return flight until Dec 1, so now I'm SOOL and will have to return on the 27th as previously planned. Jet Blue keeps looking better and better all the time.

The upside, however, is that on Monday she approved me for a one week leave at the end of December and that ticket is in the bank.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sporthobbyist View Post
    last year they used to have two flights a day from EWR to POP, everyday of the week.

i just took a look at October and it is only one flight on Saturday only???

and because it is only one flight per week, there is no hope of a special 200-300 deal like I have flown in the past.

I hope this is just pre merger nonsense. Otherwise Sosua might be a just a memory for me.
    Good Luck to you but those rates you have been getting are gifts and you should be happy for what you had. Most places in the USA cost between $500-$1000 to fly to anywhere in the Caribbean or South or Central America. With the exception of some cattle car charter flights to Mexico and a few to the DR and Jamaica for $300-$500 unless it was a last minute fire sale those rates are really low.

It is really only several large cities that offer those 200-300 rates and they are pretty much all in the East and SE with the exception of Detroit. A friend of mine just paid almost $600 for a flight on American from Miami to POP so go figure.

The airlines simply do what they want and need to to handle the market and sometimes we benefit and sometimes it sucks for us. Be happy to know you used to go for almost free.
    Just Doing It

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I can't catch a fuckin break with CO.

I posted previously that I went back to work a year ago after being out of work for 2 1/2 years. It became something of a problem as I haven't been able to get more than 3 days off at any given time, although I TOOK 8 days this past October without asking so I could handle the partial sale of my house in POP.

This morning, and out of the blue, my boss said "You're going to the DR Thanksgiving weekend, aren't you?", and I told her yeah. She said "Well, why don't you take the following Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off as well." My knees buckled, and I did everything I could to keep from dancing a jig right there in her office.

I walked out of her office and immediately went to the Continental site and pulled up my reservations with the intention to change my return flight from Nov. 27 to Nov. 30. Of course as my luck would have it there isn't a return flight until Dec 1, so now I'm SOOL and will have to return on the 27th as previously planned. Jet Blue keeps looking better and better all the time.

The upside, however, is that on Monday she approved me for a one week leave at the end of December and that ticket is in the bank.
    I'm pretty sure that you can eat the $150 change fee (which you'd have to do to switch your flight anyway) and leave your return date open - so you don't actually have to book the flight at that time, you get a credit (iirc, you have a year to use that credit). That done, book a return flight on Jet Blue via POP or STI for 11/30. Then then next time you're going to DR, you can use the credit for the return flight on CO. Call Continental and see what they say, but I'm about 90% sure that you can change your ticket without giving a date.

otoh, if the return ticket isn't even worth the change fee then you can just cancel the ticket or not show up for the flight.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you can eat the $150 change fee (which you'd have to do to switch your flight anyway) and leave your return date open - so you don't actually have to book the flight at that time, you get a credit (iirc, you have a year to use that credit). That done, book a return flight on Jet Blue via POP or STI for 11/30. Then then next time you're going to DR, you can use the credit for the return flight on CO. Call Continental and see what they say, but I'm about 90% sure that you can change your ticket without giving a date.

otoh, if the return ticket isn't even worth the change fee then you can just cancel the ticket or not show up for the flight.
    I've already paid the $150.00 change fee as the ticket I am using is one I had previously cancelled. I would have gladly paid another $150.00 since, at this point, having the extra 3 days away is more important to me than the additional fee. The problem for me is that I HAVE to be back to work on Dec. 1, so was trying to rebook my flight for a return on the 30th, but there are no return flights available until Dec. 1.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post

Ahhh, screw it. I just cancelled the CO ticket and booked with Jet Blue. $760.00. I knew from the beginning that that's what I could have done, just didn't want to do it.

deezl, thanks for that extra push. Now, instead of having that short 3 days I'll now enjoy 6. Worth the trouble, IMO
    Last edited by Rubicon; 11-18-2011 at 04:51 AM. Reason: add in price

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,334 Times in 6,472 Posts

Ahhh, screw it. I just cancelled the CO ticket and booked with Jet Blue. $760.00. I knew from the beginning that that's what I could have done, just didn't want to do it.

deezl, thanks for that extra push. Now, instead of having that short 3 days I'll now enjoy 6. Worth the trouble, IMO
    I'M curious did you get a refund of the money you spent on CO or are you getting a credit for a future CO flight in the amount your original CO ticket cost??

I'm asking because in september I booked a jetblue flight and I cancelled it but instead of getting a refund (minus the cancelation fee) I got a credit for the money I spent on the flight. So I have 1 year to use this credit or I lose the money I spent.

I'm wondering if CO has a similar practice as I believe they will be one of my favorite airlines to fly in the future.

Enjoy your trip amigo and your extra days.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dominican dave View Post
    I'M curious did you get a refund of the money you spent on CO or are you getting a credit for a future CO flight in the amount your original CO ticket cost??
    A credit. The cancelled ticket was originally from a trip I had to cancel mid-year so, I believe I'll have less than a year to use it.

BTW, you won't be using CO in the future as they're merging with United. I don't know yet what that'll do to future routes.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

$700 on Jet Blue ? whats your departure date ? must be 11/22 cuz all the other ones are in the $400- $470 range. in fact even those prices just dropped to $610 as of today.
    Are you signed up for Kayak, Price Alert ?? its free.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,334 Times in 6,472 Posts

A credit. The cancelled ticket was originally from a trip I had to cancel mid-year so, I believe I'll have less than a year to use it.

BTW, you won't be using CO in the future as they're merging with United. I don't know yet what that'll do to future routes.
    As they say in PI, Same same . From what Ive been reading it'll be a gradual fade out and some planes may still bear the CO name. Ive been flying alot of United lately anyway even though im booking through CO's website.

As long as they go to Manila i'm fine with United. And cant beat that 20k mile run

Thanks for the info Rubi. I guess all airlines do the credit thing rather than a refund. I can only imagine the Co merger will allow them to go to more destinations rather than less, but that is wishful thinking on my part.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    $700 on Jet Blue ? whats your departure date ? must be 11/22 cuz all the other ones are in the $400- $470 range. in fact even those prices just dropped to $610 as of today.
    Departure 11/24-11/30. Fifty of the $760 is for extra legroom.

I don't quite understand it myself. I've often checked the site, even if for no other reason than curiosity, when guys have posted these lower fares. I never see them.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,239 Times in 5,923 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: Whats up with Continental????

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Or Yapta
    www.yapta.com

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Re: Continental airlines

Why didnt you just book a flight from Santo Domingo back to EWR. Continental flies to SDQ every day. Take the bus from the North Coast or Santiago to Santo Domingo. Water under the bridge at this point though. You could have bought two flights for that amount that you paid.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Continental airlines

Quote Originally Posted by hugrad95a View Post
    Why didnt you just book a flight from Santo Domingo back to EWR. Continental flies to SDQ every day. Take the bus from the North Coast or Santiago to Santo Domingo. Water under the bridge at this point though. You could have bought two flights for that amount that you paid.
    When I'm traveling I like convenience. I'm not the take a flight, take a taxi, take a bus, and then another taxi kind of guy. I've taken the bus (Metro) on a handful of occasions from POP to SD for my residency, and when I shipped a car down. Won't do it again unless I absolutely HAVE to.

It's bad enough that I drive 3 hours from my home to the airport, and then the 3 hour, 15 minute flight to POP. It isn't worth it to me to then have to take a 3 1/2 hour bus ride from POP to SD, an xx minute taxi ride from the bus station to the airport, a 3 hour 15 min. flight to EWR, then a 3 hour drive home on the return. At that point the trip starts to become really unenjoyable to me.
    Last edited by Rubicon; 11-20-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: edited in taxi ride

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread Information