Thread: 2 MB filesize max reached

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

2 MB filesize max reached

I can no longer post pictures because I have reached my 2MB limit. How can I delete images from earlier posts or, better, downgrade their quality or resize them in order to reduce my overall filesize total?

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Re: 2 MB filesize max reached

Quote Originally Posted by weyland
    I can no longer post pictures because I have reached my 2MB limit. How can I delete images from earlier posts or, better, downgrade their quality or resize them in order to reduce my overall filesize total?
    please wait for DT to address this before doing anything drastic!!!

you might want to PM him...Don Tomas
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Apos, you sound like my boss: "I'm going out for two hours, for christsake don't touch my computer!"

No danger, I don't know how to do anything drastic. Anyway, the pictures I have have posted so far would be no great loss, unlike the depraved and detailed images of writhing bodies committing unspeakable sexual perversions I shall be posting after my March visit (if DT allows them).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Apos, you sound like my boss: "I'm going out for two hours, for christsake don't touch my computer!"

No danger, I don't know how to do anything drastic. Anyway, the pictures I have have posted so far would be no great loss, unlike the depraved and detailed images of writhing bodies committing unspeakable sexual perversions I shall be posting after my March visit (if DT allows them).
    oh, they're allowed...trust me! we have a special place for them...and you'll have access too!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

sorry, I was just fantasising ... but on the other hand ....

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Right now until we get a better handle on bandwidth and space usage we need to limit attachments for certain groups.

Normally jpegs should be reduced to 1024X768 at the least, most cameras take the pictures at 2048X1536! Even 640X480 is good. You can use Windows Paint program or something fancy like Adobe Photoshop. If you have Microsoft Office you can also compress the jpg with MS Office Picture Manager, of course Adobe can do it too, but paint cannot. You always want to save your JPGs at web quality or number 3 on the jpg scale. I know 3 sounds bad but all of my pics are saved that way and that's more then enough quality for a pc monitor. You should be able to find a shareware pciture editor too, look for one that will alllow you to compress jpgs.

As for deleting or changing your old pics, you can manage your own attachments in the "User CP" in the menu on the right at the bottom is "Attachments".

Right now you have 25 attachments, so you are averaging a size of 84KB each! Those are some BIG jpgs!
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

Thanks

For example I normally take the pics high quality and 2048X1536.

Original = 3.36MB!
    Reduced to 640X480 = 243KB
    Compressed to web quality = 46KB

See the difference?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas
    For example I normally take the pics high quality and 2048X1536.

Original = 3.36MB!
    Reduced to 640X480 = 243KB
    Compressed to web quality = 46KB

See the difference?
    Hi DT
    I have Photoshop and always reduce picture size and picture quality before posting. I was just not doing it enough. In future I will reduce to 40/50Kb maximum. Thanks for the guidance.

I have been into CP and deleted my "for the Ass lovers" contributions to make some space. You guys' loss, not mine. I can still masturbate to them at home.

What I would really like to do is to retain pictures after reducing their filesize to 40Kb but I think this would only be possible by reposting them in a new post in the same thread? I cannot see how to do this within the CP, only delete completely.

I am retaining my Russian ladies (although large file sizes) as a protest against your Americo-centric view of world mongering and your shameful scaremongering about AIDS in the FSU. I may even set up a red partizan cell within ISOC.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas
    Right now until we get a better handle on bandwidth and space usage we need to limit attachments for certain groups.
    p.s. Am I right in assuming the 2Mb limit is unaffected whether the images are uploaded directly from my computer or linked from Photobucket? In other words the limitation is on bandwidth rather than on storage space on your server?

Thanks

p.s. Am I right in assuming the 2Mb limit is unaffected whether the images are uploaded directly from my computer or linked from Photobucket? In other words the limitation is on bandwidth rather than on storage space on your server?
    Well I mostly have storage concerns. Linking from Photobucket is just fine. The members of higher groups (BOD/HQ/Bus.) have a larger limit. Right now regular users are at only 1MB. Picture members at 2MB. Those limits only apply to attachments stored on our server.

I want to run a month monitoring both bandwidth and disk space. We have 60+GB but I am not sure how well attachments & the gallery will take off. I will also be opening up the gallery to other members shortly. I am also looking into software that will convert on the upload.

Since you are using Photoshop try even a 2 setting when saving for the web. As for reposting, you can just edit your original post! Make sure you hit "Go Advanced" after hitting "Edit".

PS. I saw two specials about the AIDS crisis in the FSU.

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

WHat is the FSU? and american scaremongering is nothing new.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

the Former Soviet Union...FSU

Thread Information