Thread: Bringing in TV

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Bringing in TV

I was going to post this in a previous thread regarding this issue, but it's been closed. So, here it is.

I just arrived in POP today and brought a 32" flat screen tv. It was suggested almost 4 months ago that I should wait until now as there is an exemption on up to $1,500.00 worth of items brought into the country during December (although this year it began in November and was increased to $2,500.00 as a result of the Hurricane). Well, guess what? Bullshit. Apparently this law applies only to Dominicans who are returning with stuff, not to a foreigner who may have residency.

I was immediately stopped by customs and taken to their office and charged RD $14,819.90 in taxes. Not as bad as it could have been as I couldn't find my receipt and they had to rely on the price I gave them to apply the taxes, but not free either.

So, for those of you who might want to consider this approach in the future, here's the latest and factual low-down.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,105 Times in 4,296 Posts

Re: Bringing in TV

ten bucks no problemo ? ? ?
    Who me ? ? ?
    nahhhh . . . move along, move along . . .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,649 Posts

For that price Tony you should had bought a Dominican a ticket to visit the relatives. It would have been cheaper to have him mule the tv for you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guttaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_Jayman View Post
    ten bucks no problemo ? ? ?
    Yea, I've often gone the 10 bucks route bringing in alot of shit over the past two years as well, but not a tv. I had wrapped the thing in paper to at least try and conceal what was in it but by the time it got here the paper was gone and it was evident what was in the box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guttaman View Post
    For that price Tony you should had bought a Dominican a ticket to visit the relatives. It would have been cheaper to have him mule the tv for you.
    A buddy of mine who I was talking to last night mentioned the same thing. If I had had any inkling that it would have been a problem getting the thing in I would have looked into that. I guess that's why we always need to be leery of the "advice" we get from strangers. No problem. The tv made it here and is working great.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was thinking of you and the tv a few weeks ago when on DR1 they mentioned about all the relatives coming home for the holidays and the tax restrictions were raised to $2500USD. I figured that since you had residency now you were cool. But still, for an extra $450 you have the tv you want and probally saved $750 or more from having to travel to Santiago and buying a tv that is inferior. The one thing about buying a tv in Santiago though is they have 3 year service plans. 2 of lous tv's shit the bed and they could not fix them. He got 2 new ones in the box a few weeks later.

Thanks for letting us know Tony. In the future when the x-mass regalo issue comes up we will all know that it only pertains to Dominicans.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guttaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

It only pertains to dominicans but I have gotten away with it all the time. I bought a 32" last year and had no problem. This year I bought a 46" TV and american would not let it on the plane! It weighed 87 lbs and was obviously in a large box, but neither of those were the issues. They had a "box embargo". . . .no boxes at all allowed. This was even trying to board in san antonio.

I have a buddy that has a cargo acount on continental and he shipped it that way. I am still waiting but amd not feeling all warmand fuzzy that it will come in before Jan 6th.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

for an extra $450 you have the tv you want and probally saved $750 or more from having to travel to Santiago and buying a tv that is inferior.
    You know, that is the thing that has made me reluctant to buy anything in the DR outside of pussy. I know that US companies have a practice of unloading products in 3rd world countries that have not passed quality assurance standards in the states. So, yea, I'd rather pay a bit more for US products and bring them down than to buy here in the country. I pretty much furnished the house after I bought it with shit that I purchased here in POP and I now have a leather couch in my bedroom that seems to be mold-ridden. Gonna probably have to dump it if I can't find some way to get rid of the mold.

I've pretty much got everything I'll need here now so I don't anticipate bringing anything more from the states anytime soon. In fact, on my next trip, I'm looking forward to coming down with nothing more than a small carry-on.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prtyr2 View Post
    It only pertains to dominicans but I have gotten away with it all the time. I bought a 32" last year and had no problem. This year I bought a 46" TV and american would not let it on the plane! It weighed 87 lbs and was obviously in a large box, but neither of those were the issues. They had a "box embargo". . . .no boxes at all allowed. This was even trying to board in san antonio.

I have a buddy that has a cargo acount on continental and he shipped it that way. I am still waiting but amd not feeling all warmand fuzzy that it will come in before Jan 6th.
    I suspect that when it comes to bringing things down here it is similar to the point that people make about their experiences with the chicas when they say that "YMMV". I think some guys make it through, and some don't. Everything I brought down in the past I've carried in luggage and got through with the help of a 10 spot. Unfortunately, the tv wouldn't fit in a suitcase.

Best of luck on that 46" though.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If the couch is moldy toss it ASAP. You will end up with a respirtory infection sooner, if not later. Shit needs to be aired out in that humidity or you need 24/7 climate control. Not sure what you do when you leave for the states but if you lock the house up like Fort Knox then the house will be prime for mold. Dark and humid are the 2 key ingredients for black mold.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to guttaman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Why would anyone want to fly in a transvestite? I hear they have them in DR already?

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    You know, that is the thing that has made me reluctant to buy anything in the DR outside of pussy. I know that US companies have a practice of unloading products in 3rd world countries that have not passed quality assurance standards in the states. So, yea, I'd rather pay a bit more for US products and bring them down than to buy here in the country...
    I just have to comment on your statement...

Like any electronics are still made in the US?

Sure some are assembled here, but the parts are made overseas.
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas View Post
    I just have to comment on your statement...

Like any electronics are still made in the US?

Sure some are assembled here, but the parts are made overseas.
    You're absolutely right, but my comments were not relative to the production of a particular product within the US, but to the point highlighted below:

I know that US companies have a practice of unloading products in 3rd world countries that have not passed quality assurance standards in the states.
    Unfortunately, as we've seen recently with toy manufacturers, even quality assurance has been slipping big time. My attitude is that if I buy something in the DR I can pretty much bet it's going to be a piece of shit (and believe me, I've purchased things in the DR). If I buy in the US there's at least a 50-50 chance it'll be fine.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Unfortunately, as we've seen recently with toy manufacturers
    A little lead paint never killed anyone, or how is anyone over 40 still alive after growing up in houses with lead paint, not to mention tiles made with asbestos, or riding in station wagons cross-country without car seats, etc. etc. etc.

Besides there's already lead in TVs.

Thanks

If the couch is moldy toss it ASAP. You will end up with a respirtory infection sooner, if not later. Shit needs to be aired out in that humidity or you need 24/7 climate control. Not sure what you do when you leave for the states but if you lock the house up like Fort Knox then the house will be prime for mold. Dark and humid are the 2 key ingredients for black mold.
    BTW, gutta, yea, I do lock the place up like Fort Knox when I'm not here. But, I also have a water problem that I haven't been able to solve. More often than not, when I return there is usually water on the floor, or water stains on the floor. I haven't been able to figure out where in hell it's coming from and, so, haven't been able to fix it. I'm going to look into buying a de-himidifier before I leave, and also run a fan to keep the air circulating.

I already suspect that I am feeling the effects of mold. I've noticed over the past year that every time I return to the states I am sick, and for lengthy periods of time. I've also noticed that my short term memory has been seriously diminished oer that period of time as well. I've been to see a doctor and am going to check to see if they can somehow test for mold in my system.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thread Information