Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cristals Mustang Ranch Resort

Thanks

Re: Cristals Mustang Ranch Resort

Ok you guys seem to think that its feasible transportation wise etc. So how should I do it? Thurs @ MR; Fri & Sat. @ BB and then NG/LaPassions on Sunday and leave from Sousa to POP airport Monday afternoon? Let this newbie know your thoughts. Thanks guys. BTW I speak better than functional spanish from spending some time in Barcalona back in the 80s.

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

Just MHO but if you speak better than functional Spanish I don't think you need to hit the "training wheels" places at all. Even Sosua is pretty much point and click! In your shoes I'd just hit the NG and hook up wih other ISOCers. Why spend so much of your short trip packing moving and unpacking?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,105 Times in 4,296 Posts

Why go to Black Beards ? ? ?

1 word

JACUZZI ! ! !
    Who me ? ? ?
    nahhhh . . . move along, move along . . .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the_Jayman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

Just my opinion, but for a short four night trip like that, I would pick one place and stay there for the duration.
    You'll find plenty of attractions and diversions to keep you occupied at any of the places you've mentioned.

FYI, my first two trips to the DR were at Blackbeards (for 4 night and 3 night "weekenders").

For trip #3 I had 8 nights.
    First two at Rockys in Sosua.
    Then two more down the street at the Hotel Europa.
    Then in a taxi to Costambar for two nights at Blackbeards.
    And finally two nights in the just opened Field of Dreams hotel in POP (I was the first one to ever stay in "Cuarto #8").

But in retrospect, that was too much moving around in too short a time period.

Are you planning future "weekender" trips to the DR? If so, I would focus on one place for each of your trips. IMHO, it takes a couple of days to really get a feel for each place.

Enjoy your trip.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErikS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ErikS View Post
    For trip #3 I had 8 nights.
    First two at Rockys in Sosua.
    Then two more down the street at the Hotel Europa.
    Then in a taxi to Costambar for two nights at Blackbeards.
    And finally two nights in the just opened Field of Dreams hotel in POP (I was the first one to ever stay in "Cuarto #8").

But in retrospect, that was too much moving around in too short a time period.

My first trip in 1997 I covered about 8 towns and cities. Caberete and Sosua were the last two we covered. I was glad I saw it. There are benefits to moving around.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

San Felipe de Puerto Plata, La Republica Dominicana
    Thanks

OK, I'm a newbie here. I booked into Cristal's Mustang Ranch Resort prior to finding this forum. Oh well, I'm looking forward to it. If the sun is out, the pool clean and the "scenery" worth pursuing I'll be a happy boy. I'll be there Jan. 11-19th, and I'll let you know what I think when I return.

Perhaps I'll even post from there if the internet is reliable and convenient.

TTFN, I've packing and arranging to do.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to terrierist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by terrierist View Post
    OK, I'm a newbie here. I booked into Cristal's Mustang Ranch Resort prior to finding this forum. Oh well, I'm looking forward to it. If the sun is out, the pool clean and the "scenery" worth pursuing I'll be a happy boy. I'll be there Jan. 11-19th, and I'll let you know what I think when I return.

TTFN, I've packing and arranging to do.
    Sounds good. Hey maybe you can make some minor changes like tell them you want to only try the all-inclusive the first day and don't pay for it the rest of the days unless its worth it. This way your only paying $50 a day for the room.

Also remember you can catch a guagua (minivan used for public transportation) right outside the place which will take you to Sosua cheaply.

We definitely want to hear about the place.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uncle226 View Post
    I stop by the place in November the price of a president was 150 peso . The $90.00 per person (all meals and local drinks) price did not include president beer that was considered a premium bear the meals at the $90 dollar rate was also limited .Billy if I thing have changed that would be a good thing .
    Great info! Thanks.

When I stopped there in September, I got the feeling that they weren't up front with their info.

It would be nice to hear from someone that actually stayed there.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    Also remember you can catch a guagua (minivan used for public transportation) right outside the place which will take you to Sosua cheaply.
    You certainly can. It's about RD$25 (about 75 cents US) one way. But you can also take publicos (shared taxis) for RD$35, much quicker, and ten of them come along for every one guagua. They look like this (with the indicator on the roof lit-up at night). This was taken outside Cristal Mustang (as it now is) with the chica heading back to Sosúa. Cab fare does not include the chica, but you could find yourself with one on your lap if the cab is crowded. Or maybe a sweaty 200lb Haitian just off shift from a building site. It's all good! So if you are a big guy you may want to pay for two seats and sit up front. The extra dollar is still a lot cheaper than a private taxi.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I booked into Cristal's Mustang Ranch Resort prior to finding this forum ... I'll be there Jan. 11-19th, and I'll let you know what I think when I return.

Terrierist. That would be a great contribution to this forum. Breaking new ground. Don't forget your camera!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

San Felipe de Puerto Plata, La Republica Dominicana
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Terrierist. That would be a great contribution to this forum. Breaking new ground. Don't forget your camera!
    No problem!

I am a little worried about the camera, though. I have a nice DSLR setup with a couple of rather large lenses. I guess I'll look like a very tall Japanese tourist carrying it around. Is it safe enough to take it or should I invest in one of those horrid little compact things?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terrierist For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

No problem!

I am a little worried about the camera, though. I have a nice DSLR setup with a couple of rather large lenses. I guess I'll look like a very tall Japanese tourist carrying it around. Is it safe enough to take it or should I invest in one of those horrid little compact things?
    I am clueless about cameras, but psychologically I think the compacts are less intimidating to the chicas. Illogical, I agree, but we are talking about females here so logic doesn't come into it.

Also once you are off campus a compact is less likely to attract attention from thieves or even get damaged accidentally. And if your main interest is uploading pics online or emailing them to you friends a compact digital gives amply good quality.

I recommend you carry your camera about in a ladies handbag like me. You will get chicas approaching you and asking for it as a present and it will earn you greater credibility among ISOC colleagues. Kevy especially will be impressed:

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    You certainly can. It's about RD$25 (about 75 cents US) one way. But you can also take publicos (shared taxis) for RD$35, much quicker, and ten of them come along for every one guagua. They look like this (with the indicator on the roof lit-up at night). This was taken outside Cristal Mustang (as it now is) with the chica heading back to Sosúa. Cab fare does not include the chica, but you could find yourself with one on your lap if the cab is crowded. Or maybe a sweaty 200lb Haitian just off shift from a building site. It's all good! So if you are a big guy you may want to pay for two seats and sit up front. The extra dollar is still a lot cheaper than a private taxi.

Definitely the way to go for 35RD. In fact at night I would use one for the ride back from Sosua as well. If you have a phone start collecting phone numbers for these guys. They are MUCH cheaper than the tourist taxis.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    Definitely the way to go for 35RD. In fact at night I would use one for the ride back from Sosua as well. If you have a phone start collecting phone numbers for these guys. They are MUCH cheaper than the tourist taxis.
    You only need phone numbers if you want to commission one for your sole use to take you somewhere off their usual route. But if you are going from Sosúa back to Cristal Mustang just walk 100 yards from Clasico to the taxi terminus at La Bomba (Texaco filling station) and get into the first waiting publico. If you don't want to wait for it to fill up, or you want more comfort, just "buy" the remaining empty seats and tell the driver "Vámonos!". Still cheaper than a private taxi.

By the way, they cost a bit more at night, say RD$45 instead of RD$35, but I forget what is the magic hour (maybe after 10.00pm?). Anybody know?

If you want an honest private taxi driver, I recommend Victor of Techi-Taxi
    809 761 4032
    but, as Beads says, if you can find a publico driver based near Cristal Mustang he could be even cheaper.

With all taxistas, including Victor, ascertain the price first! Used to be RD$150 from Cristal Mustang to Puerto Plata or $500 from Cristal Mustang to Sosúa but it may have gone up since March because gas costs more and he bought a posh new cab.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,498 Times in 5,141 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_Jayman View Post
    Why go to Black Beards ? ? ?

1 word

JACUZZI ! ! !
    It is an excellent dick sucking venue.
    HAVE FUN AND ENJOY LIFE!!!
    HAPPINESS TAKES WORK!!!
    FIGHT FOR IT!!!!!!!!

Chewie, get us out of here!!

OH, and I almost forgot, If I am a Post Whore then at least I am DISEASE FREE, MUTHAFUCKAS!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Idea Re: Cristals Mustang Ranch Resort

i would definitely recommend investing in a small camera. a DSLR will just be a target for thieves.

there are many fine compact camera on the market that take relatively excellent pics.

i prefer Casio Exilim cameras http://www.exilim.casio.com/ or something from Canon but have heard good things about some Sony and Panasonic Lumix cameras as well...like this one http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/
    No problem!

When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO ON BB & SOSUA. THIS WILL BE MY FIRST TRIP JAN 24 TO 29. BUT I FEEL LIKE I KNOW THE PLACE WELL ALREADY WITH ALL GREAT INFORMATION. I'LL BE AT NEW GARDENS 24 TO 27 AND BB 27 TO 29. HOPE BUDDY UP WHEN I GET THERE.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLORIDASUR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jadedANDcallous View Post
    i would definitely recommend investing in a small camera. a DSLR will just be a target for thieves.

there are many fine compact camera on the market that take relatively excellent pics.

i prefer Casio Exilim cameras http://www.exilim.casio.com/ or something from Canon but have heard good things about some Sony and Panasonic Lumix cameras as well...like this one http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/
    the 7.2 by Sony are now about $179. Cheap.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,045 Posts

I've had three Sony's and liked all of them.

Two buddies, both members, have had issues with their Casios, especially the displays going bad.

One took his into the pool, which never helps, but the other just had problems and decided to finally invest in a Canon.

He seems to like it.

You can get some really nice shots with the compacts if you take a little time with them.

The photos will Certainly be good enough to post.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ElPlomero For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

the only issue i had with Canon, and the reason i choose Casio, is for the video format/codec

Casio uses mp4 avi and it is very compact yet high quality. i had a 3mp canon and loved it but moved to a Casio for the video. have had a 6mp and 7mp Casio.

the overall quality of mode smaller digital cameras, regardless of branding, is now so high that with a minimum of research you can find something excellent within almost any given price range.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information