Thread: Santo Domingo Apartments

Thanks

Santo Domingo Apartments

I am considering buying a modest apartment in Santo Domingo. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Are financing options similar to the U.S.? Anyone care to share some tips?

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Re: Santo Domingo Apartments

Better get 2 good lawyers and 2 great title searches.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,076 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmokersRule View Post
    I am considering buying a modest apartment in Santo Domingo. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Are financing options similar to the U.S.? Anyone care to share some tips?
    Me and cousin used Juan Perdomo when we purchased our condo and land back in 2004 we paid in cash though but Im sure they can work out some financing for you.
    http://www.juanperdomo.com/eng/index.htm

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 670 Posts

Carlos Langa & Asocs.
    Calle El Conde #101 Suite 203
    Cuidad Colonial
    SD
    809.682.3208 tel/fax
    809-856-7662 cell
    info@carloslanga.com email

He's helped a number of people I know, as well as myself. Fluent in English. I get the feel he's an ex-spook retired in the DR....for those who are familiar with Hotel Mercure, he's there everyday for breakfast...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Capitan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Honestly you would be better off renting especially if you are talking SD or another "normal" city, it's so much cheaper. If you are talking about a tourist area then things are a little more complicated since rents are a lot higher.

Financing options are very limited. Examples:
    Banco Progresso Up to 15 years / 60-70% of their apprasied value (NOT what you paid) I couldn't find the rate for mortgages but Commercial loans are a low, low 36%!

Banco Popular 7-15 years / 70% of their appraised value (NOT what you paid) Rate unlisted but again not US rates, figure 20%+

PS. If you have property in the US you are much better off refinancing and then paying cash if you really want to buy.
    Last edited by Don Tomas; 01-03-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

THANK YOU for the info. From my online research, it seems that most home loans go through Banco Popular, but it is nice to have some alternatives to explore as well. Typical terms with BP are 80% LTV, 8-12% interest, 15 or 20 year loans. I wonder if any other financial services can do any better.

In the U.S., the real estate agent typically holds your hand through the process. I know that the role of real estate agents is different in the DR (i.e., they are much less important). Do you recommend relying heavily on a Re/Max agent or something like that?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

THANK YOU for the info. From my online research, it seems that most home loans go through Banco Popular, but it is nice to have some alternatives to explore as well. Typical terms with BP are 80% LTV, 8-12% interest, 15 or 20 year loans. I wonder if any other financial services can do any better.

In the U.S., the real estate agent typically holds your hand through the process. I know that the role of real estate agents is different in the DR (i.e., they are much less important). Do you recommend relying heavily on a Re/Max agent or something like that?
    Which BP site did you goto? The http://www.bpd.com.do site which is the DR bank, listed something very different. Though I reported Mortgages in Dollars the Mort in Pesos is 20 years but still 70%.

http://www.bpd.com.do/espanol/banca+...en+dolares.htm

http://www.bpd.com.do/espanol/banca+...potecarios.htm

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Also...re: renting vs. buying. I am looking into an apartment for my novia. Rather than sending rent money, I'd much rather just buy it. That way, when and if things go south with her, I've got something to show for my stupidity. That being said, I'm not looking for a "nice" place (as I won't be living there)...I am just looking for a place to upgrade her from where she's at now (which will not be very hard to do). I'm looking in the RD750,000 to RD1,500,000 range.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas View Post
    Which BP site did you goto? The http://www.bpd.com.do site which is the DR bank, listed something very different. Though I reported Mortgages in Dollars the Mort in Pesos is 20 years but still 70%.

http://www.bpd.com.do/espanol/banca+...en+dolares.htm

http://www.bpd.com.do/espanol/banca+...potecarios.htm
    Interesting. That information came from a real estate person I've been speaking to. I'll look into it and let you guys know what I come up with. Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I am looking into an apartment for my novia. Rather than sending rent money, I'd much rather just buy it. That way, when and if things go south with her, I've got something to show for my stupidity.
    Assuming she's Dominican, wouldn't you have trouble getting her evicted from the apartment in that case?

Of course I realise that is an unlikely contingency as most gringo/dominicana relationships are stable and enduring.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It appears that there are real estate issues that I have not yet explored, such as this one. Thanks for the advice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Assuming she's Dominican, wouldn't you have trouble getting her evicted from the apartment in that case?

Of course I realise that is an unlikely contingency as most gringo/dominicana relationships are stable and enduring.

Actually after a few years you may be considered married by common law and the apt may be hers.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Couple of points...first, buying a condo to put your novia in is a bad, BAD idea. If things go south, you will not get her out easily...if at all.

As far as mortgage loans, the rates from BHD, Banco Popular, and Banco Leon are all in the 8-10% range with 70-80% LTV, up to 20 years. I have seen the requirements list from all three and they are similar to a US "limited doc" loan. They all also offer loans in Dominican pesos, which can be more than 2x those rates. 98% of the real estate agents in the DR (at least the North Coast) know very little to nothing about mortgages for foreigners, but there are now mortgage brokers popping up even in Sosua, so in the capital, I'm sure there are several.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicaRider For This Useful Post:

Thread Information