Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First metro trains arrive in capital

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

First metro trains arrive in capital

9 January 2008 SOSUA NEWS

Domingo, Miguel Pedini, announced this week that the first three trains have arrived in the capital. The locomotives and train cars are among the most modern in Latin America, and are similar to those currently used in Barcelona. The metro trains arrived at the Rio Haina harbour and were transported to the capital on special trucks. Each train can carry up to 200 passengers, and has an on-board security camera system. Mr Pedini proudly announced that the metro trains are also fitted with the most advanced types of braking and bearing systems.

The new metro

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: First metro trains arrive in capital

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,086 Times in 688 Posts

Shit looks like mta needs to take notes from the dominican republic dem trains are hot.....also articulated buses are in the d r for a while now

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Badabing For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    How long will they stay running with Dominican style maintenance and guys selling the spare part stock for scrap metal?

For the money spent on the metro and the enormous subsidies it will need from the taxpayer (around 80% of running costs) they could provide a decent education system across the country, which would more than pay for itself in ten years by improving production and services. But I forgot, it would take more effort for the rich to get richer by milking the education system than by taking bribes on engineering contracts.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

That may be true Weyland, but if you have ever lived in santo domingo traffic can be crazy. This is a first step. Next I would love to see them phase out the publicos and have just bus service. In buenos aires at quitting time there are orderly lines of people waiting for a bus, and not ratty old cars from the 70s stopping every 30 seconds wherever they feel like it!

Phas 1 I would have designated publico stops so that they can only stop every 4-5 blocks and not every 100 meters like they do now. Dominicans do not want to walk a block. If the publico stops on a corner, you wait for everyone to pile out, let the last guy out, pile back in. . . then drive a few hundred feet and repeat. . .it never occurs to the dominican to just get out a block away from where they need to go and walk a friggin block;-)

I live 4 blocks from the jaragua, and half the amigas I take there want to take a taxi because it is far! I once made the mistake of walking to Adrian tropical with 2 amigas. .. one was so pissed she was walking slow as shit. . . ..I kept walking and laughed at her. I am the pasty white boy that is 45 years old, and not in the best of shape. . .if I can walk it no problem how the hell can a 20 year old dominicana have trouble. . . .they say the sun bothers them. . . .they liv eon a friggin caribbean island. . .and as I said I am pasty white. . . .so what is wrong with that picture?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

prtyr2

You have provided the answer. Much better to spend the metro money on a good bus service, including micro-buses for the feeder routes. Still the same problem with maintenance but the initial infrastructure (better roads) would be cheaper, would benefit other road users, and would provide more permanent unskilled and semi-skilled jobs for locals than buiding a metro system. I don't think stops every 100 metres are unreasonable if you do away with (or better, reduce, upgrade and control) the publicos.

Staying out of the sun makes good health sense and the chicas don't like walking because they wear high heels. I have had two regular chicas during my trips and one of the first things I did was to buy them flat shoes and insist they wear them when going out with me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    prtyr2

You have provided the answer. Much better to spend the metro money on a good bus service, including micro-buses for the feeder routes. Still the same problem with maintenance but the initial infrastructure (better roads) would be cheaper, would benefit other road users, and would provide more permanent unskilled and semi-skilled jobs for locals than buiding a metro system. I don't think stops every 100 metres are unreasonable if you do away with (or better, reduce, upgrade and control) the publicos.

Staying out of the sun makes good health sense and the chicas don't like walking because they wear high heels. I have had two regular chicas during my trips and one of the first things I did was to buy them flat shoes and insist they wear them when going out with me.
    In the end, the metro will be much better for all. It will be faster and more efficient.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 46,426 Times in 4,640 Posts

Where will the train service??

Santo Domingo to Sousa (I Hope) ?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    In the end, the metro will be much better for all. It will be faster and more efficient.
    I hope so. Normally I would take the opposite view because I have always been (typically English, ask DT!) pro railways and anti road traffic. It just seems the capital cost and continuing subsidies are out of all proportion to the benefits received. We shall see, but don't hold your breath re start-up once the Presidential election (DR) is over.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd View Post

It's only within parts of SD city. That is the basis of my objection. Everyone pays but only a minority of the population benefits and they will not generally be among the poorest who need the leg-up which an improved education system would give.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: First metro trains arrive in capital

it's only for Santo Domingo, think subway
    Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd View Post

When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Idea Re: First metro trains arrive in capital

i seriously doubt it.

then again Caribe Tours and the Metro Bus lines work extremely well

then again they are not government run
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    i've read that the expected fare is to be 20 pesos...

does anyone actually believe that it will remain that low or that that is enough to actually run and maintain a system like this?

the regular cash fare where i live is $3.00 or pre-purchased tickets equivalent cost of $1.90

20 pesos = $0.60 mas o menos

there is no way that a 20 peso fair is high enough to make this work IMO

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jadedANDcallous View Post
    That is my point! Estimates are that the fares will only furnish 20% of the ongoing costs. The remaining 80% comes from the taxpayer. It was not just the capital costs I was objecting to because improved roads and buses might cost the same, it was the continuing subsidy necessary.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jadedANDcallous View Post
    i seriously doubt it.

then again Caribe Tours and the Metro Bus lines work extremely well

then again they are not government run i've read that the expected fare is to be 20 pesos...

does anyone actually believe that it will remain that low or that that is enough to actually run and maintain a system like this?

the regular cash fare where i live is $3.00 or pre-purchased tickets equivalent cost of $1.90

20 pesos = $0.60 mas o menos

Thats about 65 cents. The metro in Colombia is 50 cents per ride.

Thanks

Metro makes trial run

"The Transport Reorganization Office (OPRET) took the Santo Domingo metro on its first trial run yesterday. The train made a 2km trip from Isabela station, near the old cement factory to Los Cerros de Buena Vista. Hoy reports that the sight of the metro cars moving were met with cheers and exclamations from onlookers, while OPRET's Diandino Pena and Rafael Serrano waved to passers-by as the train traveled the elevated railway above Villa Mella. The maiden voyage caused a commotion as drivers stopped their vehicles to watch the train while others took pictures of the somewhat historic moment. The question now is when, and on which train, will President Leonel Fernandez ride on 27 February? Fernandez originally pledged that the Santo Domingo Metro would be inaugurated on that date, but constant delays have plagued the project and it is no longer expected to be ready by then."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

SANTO DOMINGO TRINIDAD - President Leonel Fernandez hopped aboard the new Santo Domingo subway, the Caribbean's first island underground, taking his signature project on a test run on Tuesday.

The 15-minute trip took subway officials and Cabinet members through three stations in a northern section of the capital. Fernandez's chances at re-election in May hinge in part on the public's response to the subway system. Officials last year said the project would cost about $710 million, more than 2 percent of the country's gross domestic product.

Fernandez has promised the subway line will modernize Santo Domingo and help slow the emigration of Dominicans to places like

26. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I can see it already - train cars vandalized, derailments, operational issues, etc. It's in for a rough ride!!
    Soy un zorro en una jauria de perros

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post

Fernandez has promised the subway line will modernize Santo Domingo and help slow the emigration of Dominicans to places like
    I take it that the rest of the sentence said New York?
    We surveyed 100 chicas and the top 69 answers are on the board. Here's the question...

I.S.O.B.B.C.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick Dawson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

El President Leonel got his first ride today:

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/loc...ticket-to-ride

Zoom Picture

Santo Domingo.– As promised and without any risk, President Leonel Fernandez rode the Santo Domingo Metro today, along with his invited guests.

According to the Office for the Reorganization of Transit (OPRET), the first station is named Mama Tingo, the second is Gregorio Urbano Gilbert, the third is Gregorio Luperon, the fourth is Jose Francisco Pena Gomez, the fifth is Hermanas Mirabal, and the sixth is Maximiliano Gomez.

The station located on Nicolas Ovando Avenue will be named Los Tainos, the one at the cemetery will be named Pedro Livio Cedeno, the one on Pena Batlle Avenue will carry the same name, and the stop on John F. Kennedy will be called Juan Pablo Duarte.

The station on 27 February will be named Prof. Juan Bosch, the stop at the Plaza de la Cultura will be Casandra Damiron, the one at the Education Ministry will be Joaquin Balaguer, the station at the UASD will be Amin Abel, the one on Abraham Lincoln will be Francisco Alberto Caamaño and the last stop will be named Centro de los Heroes.

Thanks

For a second, i thought the first station was named "mama toto"......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information