Thread: Count does Boca Chica 1997 ish

Thanks
    Thanked 6,726 Times in 1,029 Posts

Re: Are you in Sosua this week???

Beas, who I’ve never met, encouraged me, above, to post a memory of BC in 96-97 as I am new to the board and have never been to Sosua......Am not sure how to start a new thread so.....

Boca Chica had been on my mind for some time when I first went there in 1996. It was way back in 1985 when I first heard about it from a travel agent in Boston (I was a Canuck living in Boston for a couple of years). I was traveling single and she tried to convince me, almost begged me, to go. I wasn’t sure. Then the trip got delayed and I found a girl friend and we both went to the Virgin Islands. Boring!

The next time I thought about it was the mid 90s after the girlfriend and I had split. I knew a bit about the DR by then having taken her to the Club Med in Punta Cana. In 1996 I finally went to Boca Chica – but I made a crucial rookie mistake. I went to this weird single all-inclusive, if you get me, resort, not on the beach, up the road somewhere, in Boca Chica run by a guy named Alex or Alexis or something. While I enjoyed myself, I could immediately see the possibilities if I was truly on my own.

In July 97, I finally went to Boca Chica on my own. For 3 weeks. In a way, I should stop this report right here because no words I could summon could do justice to my memories. To say I had a good time or a great time does not come anywhere close to what happened, what I remember, or how I felt the whole time.

I started by booking four nights at Zapatas and figured if I liked it I would stay and if not I’d move. I chose it because I had joined TSM (no longer a member) and it seemed to be the best reccomendation as I wanted to be on the beach. On my first night I scored three different chicas in succession, which I had never done before in my life. The first found at a bar/restaurant/hotel up the road, Don’s I think (he was a French Canadian who was sent home by LE, I think). A second on Duarte street and a third in some club. But the best part is that that night I met a great bunch of guys. There was an expat named Pat, now departed I think, but best of all a bar owner named Ronnie G. I met them so easily. I was at a table watching the passing scene and Ronnie leaned over from the next table and asked, “Are you American?” ....”No, Canadian.” .....”Well, come join us anyway.” I spent every afternoon then on from about 2:00 to about 6:00 at Ronnie’s bar on the beach in the shade of the palms, feeling the breeze, eating the chicken he cooked on Sundays, downing Cuba Libre’s and Presidente’s (God, I miss it.) one after the other, and jawing with the multitude of guys who would suddenly drop in from all over North America, our laps filled with chicas who were patiently waiting for us to make up our minds. Is there anything better than that? And with Zapatas only about three properties down the beach....it was all so easy. I recall that some asked for as much as a 1,000 but the expats said you were nuts if you charged more than 2-300. I never paid more than 5-600 but don’t forget that the exchange rate wasn’t as good then. Something like 13:1 if I recall.

I got to know Ronnie well who was a fountain of information as he’d been there about a dozen years. In other words, he arrived in DR to stay at about the same time I was urged to travel there by that Boston travel agent and I wondered if we had had the same travel agent. I often wonder what would have happened if I had made that trip in ’85. I traveled with him to SD a few times in his beat up old car as he had some errands for his bar, etc. He had a birthday when I was there and we had a big party. I thought hard about buying his bar because he wanted to sell and retire but real life was beginning to intervene for me, such as a surprising child back in Canada from the departed girl friend, and in the end I didn’t. The best thing about the whole experience is the people you meet and become buddies with.

As for the chicas, I chose most of them because there was something about them that turned a certain crank. Some turned out to be mistakes but most weren’t but it didn’t matter anyway because the supply was endless. As for specific episodes; here’s a few:
    1. Daisy was a real nice girl, a sleek spinner, who I was with a few times and once she took me to her cinder block house/apartment out by the highway. A combination one room and tiny kitchen with a shower in the corner. She took a shower while I watched and then we did it on her bed. I was amazed by the whole experience, and still am.
    2. There was a girl named Carmel or something like that, a bit pudgier than I like, but there was a mutual chemistry or compatibility. I took her on my first night and on several more. On my last night in Boca, she gave me a copied tape of the DR music of the day even though I did not take her that night. She just came up to me on the street and told me she made it for me, handed it to me, and left. My Spanish is minimal but it’s amazing what can be understood regardless. I still have that tape and play it from time to time...probably tonight...as I think I will forsake my beloved martinis for rum tonight.
    3. There was a girl named Marisol, who stole $$$ from me, but her bbbjtcim was so good, so amazing, and I was so transfixed by her, that I asked her back two more times, and each night she stole from me and I had no clue how she did it. God, she was good.
    4. There was a Haitian girl who I wanted but never got to be with as she was constantly with a group of Italians, except on my last night, when the Italians finally left. Unfortunately, I was mezmirized by Marisol, above, who I had made a date with the night before. I thought about standing her up, but I am honourable; even to the point of being honourable to someone who steals from me!! ....Or, wait, perhaps, all I could think of was her magical bbbjtcim....yeah....fuck honour...that’s more like it. And so the Haitian girl remains a never explored potential. I could communicate with her well because I know some French.

I intended to come back often, but never did, as real life intervened. But now I’m free again to have fun and be me. Hopefully I will meet some of you in Sosua soon....

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Count For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,105 Times in 4,296 Posts

Re: Count does Boca Chica 1997 ish

Thanks Count ! !
    Who me ? ? ?
    nahhhh . . . move along, move along . . .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the_Jayman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,726 Times in 1,029 Posts

Thank you for starting the thread for me as I haven't figured out how to do it yet......and, I am right now listening to that tape mentioned in my report above and am drinking rum, Appleton's, not Brugal unfortunately, and thinking of the fun I know you are having. You guys are the greatest, much love - don't mean to sound broke-backish, even tho it was filmed in my beloved Alberta, and I'm looking forward very much to meeting you all soon. I will be there and I can hardly friggin' WAIT !!!!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Count For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,105 Times in 4,296 Posts

I'm going absolutely bananas siting home watching the clock tic . . . I leave in 10 and a half hours.

Again Welcome to ISOC ! !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to the_Jayman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great report Count, very interesting reading.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to milldam For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Ha ha,
    Count, you may not believe this, but Ronnie is still around. And Patrick, the retired navy chief who was always in Ronnies and had all the whores, well, he passed on a few years back.
    I could probably tell you what's happening with a few others too.
    More than likely you know me too. I'm the guy with the red Jeep Wrangler. Back in those days, I had a tall (6') black girl named Santa who weighed about 110 lbs. and was all curves. A real looker.
    The new hangout is called Playa Vista, but you may find Ronnie in a small German bar next to the old Isla Bonita Disco. Ronnie couldn't stand the kid who works at Playa Vista, so he switched bars. Most of the old regulars went with him, but, they still hit Playa Vista from time to time.
    Send me a pm when you come down, I'll walk you around.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Small world, indeed. Thanks for the memories, Count!! Hopefully you'll be able to make some new ones soon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

Yep, I saw ronnie at playa vista maybe 3 months back. A few other old timers that used to hang out at darren's were also there. From what I heard ronnie didn't own the bar, just ran it. There is a hotel where ronnies bar used to be.

MrHappy were you on TSM back then? What was your "handle". There is a good chance we have run into each other at least once over the years.

Omega, bargain basement joe, chris from trippers, jim hinsch. . . .. wow talk about blasts from the past etc. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy
    Ha ha,
    Count, you may not believe this, but Ronnie is still around. And Patrick, the retired navy chief who was always in Ronnies and had all the whores, well, he passed on a few years back.
    I could probably tell you what's happening with a few others too.
    More than likely you know me too. I'm the guy with the red Jeep Wrangler. Back in those days, I had a tall (6') black girl named Santa who weighed about 110 lbs. and was all curves. A real looker.
    The new hangout is called Playa Vista, but you may find Ronnie in a small German bar next to the old Isla Bonita Disco. Ronnie couldn't stand the kid who works at Playa Vista, so he switched bars. Most of the old regulars went with him, but, they still hit Playa Vista from time to time.
    Send me a pm when you come down, I'll walk you around.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Heh heh, actually, Trippers was my business. Chris worked for me as a driver, but he liked to tell everyone that was his business.
    Now you remember me, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

Yep. Chris was cool. Last I heard he was up in Cabrera at Villa Castlemonte etc.
    Chris's novia tanya almost got me killed one night. I was getting out of my car bahind jetset with my ex wife. . . .and I immediately hear a girl yelling my name and running down the street. . . . .lol. . . .my ex wife was looking at me like she was ready to draw blood. . . . .then tanya gave me a big hug hello. . . . .finally me ex recognized her and all was cool.

We went back to tanyas family's house and had a few grandes on the patio.
    They lived real close to jet set.

We should get together for a beer or two once I get back down to SDQ. I am on the road for work till early to mid may, but then will be able to spend way more time in santo domingo. I stay in the gazcue area which was ground central back in the day. . . .

19. The Following User Says Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

count welcome to ISOC . great report enjoyed reading it . Hope you get back To D.R soon

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Chris is actually running Sunrise Villa in Cabrera, and is doing super good.
    He just bought a house a few months ago. Cabrera is really the place to be at the moment. Some guy with more money than sense just bought Playa Grande with a bunch of other guys, and they are going to pump some SERIOUS money into the place.
    First thing they did? They bought the hotel at the golf course. Know what they're going to do with it? TEAR IT DOWN. No more Eurotrash for that place!
    Yeah, definitely give me a yell when you're coming again.. I have a feeling we could tell more than a couple of stories..

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

over dinner one night in kenya last week while talking to the count he mentioned he went to boca chica pre isoc so i checked to see if he did a down memory lane report and here it is in the archives

the count also said he would add pics of days gone bye when he gets time (he is still in kenya having a great time)
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    over dinner one night in kenya last week while talking to the count he mentioned he went to boca chica pre isoc so i checked to see if he did a down memory lane report and here it is in the archives

the count also said he would add pics of days gone bye when he gets time (he is still in kenya having a great time)

What is pre ISOC?

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    What is pre ISOC?
    he did the boca chica trip in 1997 before isoc was created and before the internet provided us all the intel we have today

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thread Information