Thread: discos tipicos

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

discos tipicos

Hi guys,

after reading some of the threads provided by Don Thomas, I am thinking about branching out into el campo and would like to gather the information available regarding the possibilities to go out. as I understand it the main venues in the campos are the discos tipicos.

So far I have the following questions:

1) Who has experience in el campo and for how long/where?
    2) What was it like/would you do it again; availabiliity, gfe, safety, sleeping quarters?
    3) What is the factual information you can provide as to the names and locations of discos tipicos?
    4) Do you feel that special requirement apply i.e. the ability to speak fluent spanish, a black belt in martial arts, only if you are 20-30?

I realise this is a lot to ask and maybe Jimmy wants to start up a separate item called ' el campo' to cover this and similar questions.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Re: discos tipicos

Quote Originally Posted by continentalmike
    1) Who has experience in el campo and for how long/where?

I have been to many,many all around The North Coast from Puerto Plata to Gasper Hernandez. I have spent many days hanging out there, sometimes for 5-6 hours. I would start with the one in Caberete. It has many cheap restaurants there and is patrolled by the Tourist Police.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks

2) What was it like/would you do it again; availabiliity, gfe, safety, sleeping quarters?

I knew people there so I was safe. I have been to these 50 -100 different times. Sleeping quarters are fly infested shacks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

3) What is the factual information you can provide as to the names and locations of discos tipicos?

They are small, more like bars with dance areas.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

4) Do you feel that special requirement apply i.e. the ability to speak fluent spanish, a black belt in martial arts, only if you are 20-30?

Well if you can manage some Spanish you will keep their attention. Do you just plan on smiling and grunting, afterall they all saw tourists before.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Jimmy!

Anybody wanna add to the king's info?

Thanks
    I've realized very recently what you guys call campos and what we latinos call campos MAY two completely different things.. I've been to 50+ in the south east area near La Romana when I used to stay there, and thought I've only been to north coast twice (June + July) I've been to two campos.

What I and Dominicans describe as campos are very rural areas usually made up of just a few houses where the people usually farm. Many times the only sort of commercial area would be someone selling soda, rice, sugar, etc out of the back of their home. They're usually down long dirt roads and distant from developed areas.

I think some of you guys are talking about Pueblos when you say Campos. These are small communities which often have small stores, a cafe, and a disco typico - they are typically not as far out as campos and the people usually don't farm.

That being said in the Campo there would be no commercially available place to stay - you'd have to stay at someone's house. I'm not sure if you should go to a campo without a local that knows the campo, not so much for safety reason's but moreso for the fact that it's not like the towns where people are out and about in the streets, these people tend to have a routine and though they will probably be very nice and welcoming should you decide to talk to them - there just isn't much 'happening' here. You'd want someone to introduce you the girls, etc.

Hope that helped.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickRock
    I think some of you guys are talking about Pueblos when you say Campos. These are small communities which often have small stores, a cafe, and a disco typico - they are typically not as far out as campos and the people usually don't farm.

That being said in the Campo there would be no commercially available place to stay - you'd have to stay at someone's house. I'm not sure if you should go to a campo without a local that knows the campo, not so much for safety reason's but moreso for the fact that it's not like the towns where people are out and about in the streets, these people tend to have a routine and though they will probably be very nice and welcoming should you decide to talk to them - there just isn't much 'happening' here. You'd want someone to introduce you the girls, etc.

Hope that helped.
    I have been in both places, still learning the language here but a horse is a horse by any other name. I have been in the middle of nowhere, where the Presidentes come from someone's refrigerator. I have also been in the small towns where there is a general store and a disco.

As RickRock said it is best to go with someone who knows people there. Not so much for safety but for guide services/introductions. Especially if you are not fluent in Spanish.

Thanks

you're prop right

Although I've had limited experience in both (been to a pueblo twice and to a campo once).. the same scenario unfolded each time..

1) gringo arrives in pueblo/campo with a Domencian aquintance
    2) goes into the family house and presents a little something for the house (flores e ron in my case)
    3) is welcomed and put on the porch for all to see
    4) neighbours start coming by
    5) eligible girls start coming buy
    6) someone puts on music and the Domenican people start dancing.. gringo holds back for now
    7) of course gringo is teased a bit and invited to join, so steps up to the plate and dances a little (actually I am a fair dancer)
    8) at the end of the party gringo is unobtrusivly invited to the room by one of the girls and has sexo, then sleeps (repeat last two if necessary)
    9) next day gringo returns to Cabarete, Sosua, POP with Domenican aquintance
    10) gringo is invited to visit peublo/campo again (but in this case hasn't had the time yet)

Rick or others do you see anything strange in this scenario?

Thanks
    I wouldn't know I'm not a gringo

Thanks
    Looks normal to me but I usually pull them out of the place and bring them back to my hotel with a/c and electricity.

Thanks

Rick, you should be shot for having it easy as a latino

Seriously though is this your exp as well?

DT, thanks for the info

Thanks
    I usually go to campos after asking a local friend if there is anyone there to make it worth it. If they tell me there is a star up in the mountains then Im off. Usually have them point me to the house, acquiant the family, tell them I'm visiting with my friend and then after talking for a while move in for the kill on the chica. I've done this NUMEROUS times throughout my youth. There was one campo near La Romana with this family of 12, and I shit you not there were 8 chicas ages 15 - 23 (I was 18 at the time) that were all model quality. The dad and mom must have been really into fucking because they had 10 children all about 9 months apart. lol.. btw the Mom was ok too now that I think about it..

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts
    I have been to a real campo on my last weekend trip 2 weeks ago and now appreciate my life in NY and USA overall more then you can imagine... its a great place to visit but i wouldnt want to live there is all that comes to mind... by the way if any of you have kids and have to go on a family vacation this is what american kids need to see and actually live in to maybe appreciate something here... it doesnt work just by telling them and showing pics... crazy and different!

Thanks
    One Note: In one Pueblo I was asked by a Palace chica who lives there if I was scared to be there.

I was with a guide but overall I wasn't scared, now I was raised in Chicago (yes the city not a burb) and fear is relative.

It's ok to be there just don't be stupid, you flash money and guess what you will be robbed. If you are worried about being robbed don't carry any more then $3000RD on you, if you cry over losing $75US then maybe you shouldn't be on vacation.

Thanks
    Thomasso,

Do you feel it would make a difference as to how you look and behave? Somehow I always get on with the bad guys... don't know why?

Thanks
    Thomasso,

Do you feel it would make a difference as to how you look and behave? Somehow I always get on with the bad guys... don't know why?
    I'm in my late 20's, tall 6'3" but not big more like a swimmer's build. Never went solo and knew people there, the guide I use is big and tall, American raised, Dominican by heritage.

When I am in the DR I am wearing either jeans or dress slacks, no T-shirts. That could have a bit to do with it since I might not be pegged as an AI tourist/target just by look.

As for behavior well of course I don't show fear, I am not afraid so nothing to show. I know a lot of people get nervous when in unfamilar places. You can be the biggest, baddest MoFo but if your actions tell a different story it's all over. Not just being scared but being uncomfortable says a lot.

Thanks
    Don got that one right. The dominicans, male and female, are remarkably adept at reading us---picking up on the look on your face and your body language to determine whether you have been around the environment before, whether you are nervous or uncomfortable. I don't think they are easily fooled in this regard. Its impossible to fake confidence around them.

This last trip I was a lot more comfortable than previous trips and was also got hardly any of the petty hassles that I got on previous trips. This was even before anyone opened their mouth. I was on familiar turf but breaking new ground here and there.

Speaking a little spanish was a real help. If they address you in spanish and you answer in spanish it's a whole different deal.

Thanks
    que haces asere?

que bola asere?

Thread Information