Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,045 Posts

Re: DR Customs @ POP International

You better knock on wood now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

On five British charter flights I have never yet seen anyone stopped. Either they (correctly) assume that all Brits are totally honest or they (almost correctly) think that our little island is as poor as theirs and there is nothing we could bring in.

I usually talk to some family with kids going through and the officials think I am the grandfather. This last trip I had to pass through with the Thunderstars who are as suspicious looking as anyone could be. They have "criminal perverts" written all over them, but we still made it through without trouble although Thunderstar's suitcase was bulging with vibrators, handcuffs, whips and other holiday necessities.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,012 Times in 800 Posts

Leaving out of New York is getting a bottle or two of liquor in carryon a problem - either leaving states - or once in DR (import tax)?

In DR I figure I'll just do the "walk right by - like you know where you're going" thing.

Don't trust AA to handle my bags (at least from what I've read) - but wanna take my own bar setup - I get a deal on liquor thru buddy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

You can only bring liquor from DUTY FREE onboard. You can bring the mini bottles in a ziplock, otherwise it will be confiscated by TSA at security in JFK. Vodka is very inexpensive in DR as is good Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
    Leaving out of New York is getting a bottle or two of liquor in carryon a problem - either leaving states - or once in DR (import tax)?
    Let's get the job done!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterPink For This Useful Post:

Thanks

last week i was asked 3 times for a tip by the customs agent in POP once i picked up my luggage.....i acted like i didn't understand what he was asking and kept it moving....

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nyc For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nyc View Post
    last week i was asked 3 times for a tip by the customs agent in POP once i picked up my luggage.....i acted like i didn't understand what he was asking and kept it moving....

Just point to the posters that say "report corruption"

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 670 Posts

I get searched LEAVING SDQ everytime.......it's the 10 bags of coffee in my backpack. I load it on top, have the receipt with it too. The FYI: They use coffee to move coke...

I tip everyone EXCEPT Customs!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

Just walk right by them without making eye contact. If they stop you so be it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,636 Posts

there are times when i walk right through...no harm no foul, and there are times when they search me and my bags like im a major drug runner out of the DR????? once there done i just say thanks and keep walking... i have nothing to be afraid of so they can search whatever they want quite frankly.

i wouldn't suggest paying any currency to any official at the airport! even if they asked for it. i would just go through what ever search procedure they wanted to conduct...if one of the officials wants to be an asshole they can try and charge you with "bribeing an agent" or something and who needs that headache!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hempstead View Post
    there are times when i walk right through...no harm no foul, and there are times when they search me and my bags like im a major drug runner out of the DR????? once there done i just say thanks and keep walking... i have nothing to be afraid of so they can search whatever they want quite frankly.

i wouldn't suggest paying any currency to any official at the airport! even if they asked for it. i would just go through what ever search procedure they wanted to conduct...if one of the officials wants to be an asshole they can try and charge you with "bribeing an agent" or something and who needs that headache!
    Good post. Of course, one sometimes needs to remind them only to open one bag at a time, with you being witness to the procedure. Else you might find stuff missing.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information