Thread: 10% Tip, For or Against?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,636 Posts

10% Tip, For or Against?

from sosuanews.com (not sure if it was posted already or not)

Large hotels against stopping the 10% tip

Hotel owners in Puerto Plata and Playa Dorada have lodged a protest with the government against the proposed legislation to stop hotels and restaurants charging their customers 10% service costs. The 10% is thus an extra (compulsory tip) for the service personnel, which needs to be paid separately from the standard salary. The government wants to stop this practice, because most countries around the world charge prices that include service and taxes.
    In this country it is quite normal to see at the bottom of your bill, in very small letters, that the amount is excluding 14% tax and 10% service charge. So you end up paying an extra 24% on top of your food and drink costs, which many restaurant clients find hard to swallow (pardon the pun!). The government also feels that the 10% is often not paid to the personnel because, if clients are satisfied with the service offered, then they usually leave a good tip on the table.

The restaurant/hotel owners then pocket all or some of the 10% themselves. The owners of the smaller restaurants and hotels are pleased with this new proposal, because they already include service and tax in their prices. They feel that the real price differences will now become more transparent.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,649 Posts

Re: 10% Tip, For or Against?

I try not to eat in places that do not already have all the extras included in the price. The only places might be WaterFront and El Toros but i am not sure if they add it on. I actually never look when i eat at those 2 places. I just pay.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,151 Posts

A Tip for good service is normal for me

I think too when bad service, I have never left nothing, usually a reduced amount...

Remember alway treat others the way you want to be treated..
    Don't take advantage just because you can.

I do realize that this probably won't work for the real cheap monger guys, but It call it me contribution to the human race...
    CHICA_SEEKA

" NEVER LEAVE YOUR WINGMAN'

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicaSeeka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChicaSeeka View Post
    A Tip for good service is normal for me

I think too when bad service, I have never left nothing, usually a reduced amount...

Remember alway treat others the way you want to be treated..
    Don't take advantage just because you can.

I do realize that this probably won't work for the real cheap monger guys, but It call it me contribution to the human race...
    I used to work in the restaurant business so I empathize with people who earn a living this way. I always tip well unless the service is really bad. Usually 20%, if the service was bad maybe just 10-15% depending on how bad. I've never been in a situation where i was pissed off enough to stiff the waitress/waiter.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Revolutionrock77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If I go to a restaurant that charges the 16% itbis on top of regular tax I do not leave a tip.
    I tip chicas based on service. If no good I just kick them the F out. Did not have to do it once at BB's. and Only once in Sosua.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionrock77 View Post
    I used to work in the restaurant business so I empathize with people who earn a living this way. I always tip well unless the service is really bad. Usually 20%, if the service was bad maybe just 10-15% depending on how bad. I've never been in a situation where i was pissed off enough to stiff the waitress/waiter.
    I WILL KEEP MY GUNS
    MY FREEDOM
    AND MY MONEY!

YOU CAN KEEP
    THE CHANGE!!!!!!

Thread Information