Thread: Half price taxi between Sosua and POP airport

Thanks

Half price taxi between Sosua and POP airport

As ever veteran knows, the official taxi fare of USD 20 for the 5 or 10 minute ride from POP airport to Sosua must be one of the most expensive taxi rides per Km in the world.
    Following detailed instructions from an oldtimer (Thank you Erik!) I found it was easy to do the trip for half that or possibly a lot less.
    In Sosua I went up to the Texaco station, from where the publicos line up in the direction of Puerto Plata (Sign on roof says:Sosua Puerto Plata). That is, they're going right, seen from the town. I did this a few hours in advance, spoke to a driver, and said I wanted a publico for me alone (solo para mi) at eight o'clock to go to the airport. No problem. He quoted 300 pesos (about $9) which I accepted. I tried to get him to fetch me from the Waterfront, but he looked doubtful and said he didn't know it, so I said OK I'd come to his stand.
    I turned up at about 10 minutes early to give me 10 minutes for a fond farewell clinch with my GFE, but the driver came running up with a big smile and said he'd been checking regularly since 7 to see whether I'd arrived. (Such eagerness probably means you could probably get a rather lower price if you're into saving the last dollar).
    I was driven right up to the check-in point and had my bags carried, just like with a regular taxi. He said I should call him when I arrived back. He's called Ivan and his number is 809-6107047.
    Adding the night-time motoconcho fare for two of us it actually came to 400, but I imagine with a little explanation you could easily get him to fetch you from your hotel (and certainly to deliver you there when you arrive).
    And incidentally I arrived so early (my flight was at 10.50) that they had to wake up somebody to man the X-ray machine, and there was nobody at the departure tax office yet, so they let me out without paying the $20.
    Last edited by cuddler; 02-22-2008 at 05:56 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cuddler For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Re: Half price taxi between Sosua and POP airport

You walk to the Texaco, jump in a public taxi, pay 30 pesos and off you go. You then ask the guy to drop you in the airport for maybe another 30 pesos.

I was paying about $1.50 last year I think.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    You walk to the Texaco, jump in a public taxi, pay 30 pesos and off you go. You then ask the guy to drop you in the airport for maybe another 30 pesos.

I was paying about $1.50 last year I think.
    Well, you live and learn! Will they squeeze your luggage into the publico too?
    And how do you do it the other way?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cuddler View Post
    Well, you live and learn! Will they squeeze your luggage into the publico too?
    And how do you do it the other way?

I usually pay for 2 seats and sit in the front. They will put it in the trunk. When you land, just walk out to the main road.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cuddler View Post
    ..........In Sosua I went up to the Texaco station, from where the publicos line up in the direction of Puerto Plata (Sign on roof says:Sosua Puerto Plata). That is, they're going right, seen from the town. I did this a few hours in advance, spoke to a driver, and said I wanted a publico for me alone (solo para mi) at eight o'clock to go to the airport. No problem. He quoted 300 pesos (about $9) which I accepted..........

I've done the same thing going the opposite way also. That is I hired one of the publicos to take me to Cabarete several times. He said 300 pesos, I said 200, and we settled on 250, but that included him going off the main highway to pick up a chica I was taking there.

But JDR is right, to travel real cheaply, just hop in one of the publicos and pay the regular fare. I think it is 35 pesos now during the day, and maybe 40 at night.

Even cheaper are the "Gua-Gua" vans. I took one to Weylands birthday party at Field of Dreams last year for 10 pesos (of course I was the 22nd person squeezed into the van!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

I paid RD250 from la Bomba in Sosua to Puerto Plata yesterday, just be firm about the price. A publico has six seats, en la dia esta solamente 6 por 35 = 210.

mp
    Let's get the job done!

Thread Information