Thread: Relative safty of car rental

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

Relative safty of car rental

I've heard a horor story form a fairly reputable monger about car rental/accident scenarios in the DR. That there are scams where accidents are caused on purpose, money extorted. The real drag seemed to involve many many hours/days at police stations working things out This could put a real cramp in a 5 day visit. Anyone have any stories to relate, or experiance that would support or disprove this report? Thanks for your help!
    Marc

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

Mas facil

CENSORED

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Re: Relative safty of car rental

Quote Originally Posted by PapiQueRico
    I've heard a horor story form a fairly reputable monger about car rental/accident scenarios in the DR. That there are scams where accidents are caused on purpose, money extorted. The real drag seemed to involve many many hours/days at police stations working things out This could put a real cramp in a 5 day visit. Anyone have any stories to relate, or experiance that would support or disprove this report? Thanks for your help!
    Marc
    Some of the less reputable companies will also come at night and steal your car. They get your deductible, ins claim, and still get to sell/use the car elsewhere.

Also I second Lechero for the price of a rental, taxes, ins, upset stomach, etc. it's easier and cheaper to rent a driver/car. If you figure an average SUV is around $49/day so figure around $70/day after taxes and such. You could get one hell of a driver and car for that price with no worries.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts
    I have rented a car a few times. I prefer not to. Hire a taxi when you need to.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 13,105 Times in 4,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr
    I prefer not to. Hire a taxi when you need to.
    What he said. Never rented. Never will.

I've read a BUNCH of those horror stories, if they are acurate or not I'm not sure but . . . I read A LOT of them.

Get a driver. Talk to the guys down there. (Palace John/Billy/Black Beards/JimmyDR) Zero hasstle and not that expensive. (well worth it to me)
    Who me ? ? ?
    nahhhh . . . move along, move along . . .

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts
    Due to the fact that i frequent the DR so much and now have dominican friends here that have family in DR... at times i get their cars to drive or i get driven around by them... or else just hop on a moto or in a cab its cheap enough and no hastles..

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts
    Remember, check out the spare, its usually flat. Wipers never work or need new blades. The list goes on and on.

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts
    Thanks for the advice! I don't know where I'll be staying yet, but as it gets closer OI'll posr asking for driver suggestions. Thanks again.

Thanks

use adventure at airport

I use adventure at POP airport all the time.I break dowwn and they are at my door in 30 min to 1 hr.That is amazing for dr time.Gipsy runds the place and she is the best.I rent a car all the time. 5 trips a year at 3 week stays and i us ethe car the whoile time.LAter BRIAN NY

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts
    Everyone has made very good point, however, the major one has been left out.

My good friend is Dominican and the best piece of advice he ever gave me is when he informed me that if you are American and get into a car accident in DR.

The local authorities can throw you up under the jail and stick tacos up your chulo until the end of time.

Extort money from you and your family. Imagine Iraq and the hostages and you will begin to see the imagery.

You are saving money in the long run.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

CENSORED

CENSORED

Thanks

Re: POST COUNT

Quote Originally Posted by Lechero
    I know you can do it!
    My wallet says WSJ can have more posts than Brooklyn Bea by Sunday night. Did you take a break for dinner yet man?
    I didnt know this was a posting competition... I only post a lot because im bored as shit at work and they pay me for doing nothing 85% of the time... Then i get vacations and go to the DR... wow life is great!

Thanks
    Beas,

So what you are saying is that you get paid for not doing much with very little. Sounds like what your chicas get paid for. LMAO

Yes, I am back.

Nomad

Thanks
    nomad... I now get paid for working my ass off... i recently got a promotion and now im in the IT dept... so im barely at my desk anymore... i kinda jinxed myself but its good cause at the end of the year i will be getting a raise... no not in my pants in my wallet
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

Thanks
    oh yeah... welcome back... keep posting religiously and maybe Jimmy will let you in the private chat!

Thread Information