Thanks

Re: Haitianas ?

Good reading/learning !

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bryan_sr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,383 Times in 13,907 Posts

I've got a woman friend that is French Canadian. She works extensively with Haitian orphans. French is her first language.

When she tells me she's been learning creole for the last 4 months, and she's finally beginning to comprehend conversations with haitians, I can surmise that creole is very different than French.

I have another latin friend who has been to Brazil many times. According to him, saying French is the same as Creole, is like saying Portuguese is the same as spanish.

They share lots of common words and sounds, but they are completely different.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post

if kreyol is "easy" to learn, i may have to give it a shot.. cuz i love my haitianas !!!

and i REALLY love it when they get into a good fuck, and start screaming/moaning in kreyol !!!

This might help:
    http://www.byki.com/lists/Haitian-cr...ick-start.html

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRCowboy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,240 Times in 5,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    creole is very different than French

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRCowboy View Post

What a scream!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,102 Times in 1,088 Posts

I'm a french canadian and créole is based on french but i dont understand it. I'd say that 50% of it is french mix with some weird words. And when in sosua in may, two haitiana were siting with us in front of Nakom's room saying they spoke french but while
    talking to them, i could tell they didnt understand me at all

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to michel3275 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Although Haitian word usage is 98% derived from standard French the similarities are very much masked in conversation by one or two grammatical quirks (like putting the various definite articles after the noun, rather than before it as in [all?] European languages), and the thick caribbean accent.
    Quote Originally Posted by michel3275 View Post
    I'm a french canadian and créole is based on french but i dont understand it. I'd say that 50% of it is french mix with some weird words.
    This supports my opinion. Actually word usage (not vocabulary - my bad) is 98% French derived but here is a native French speaker who thinks it is only 50% because the "French" words are so well disguised by the syntax and accent (and in print by the spelling). Michel would find that most of those "weird words" are also derived from French, and most of the rest he would know from English and Spanish. Only a tiny handful of African words have survived.
    Last edited by weyland; 08-06-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,035 Times in 2,159 Posts

I'm a french canadian and créole is based on french but i dont understand it. I'd say that 50% of it is french mix with some weird words. And when in sosua in may, two haitiana were siting with us in front of Nakom's room saying they spoke french but while
    Michel was the source for my information. Y créeme que sabe francés!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Not "wierd words". West African words incorporated into the core French along with the propensity to drop entire syllables from French language words and mash up the tenses. I studied French for years in school (I'm kinda dumb), worked in Montreal and Paris and Geneva and never mastered the language but the first time I heard Haitian Creol I understood the exact meaning. I still can't speak much but I understand what's being said to me.

Think Ebonics or Spanglish. Same principles apply.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    There are three

1 - Dominican
    2 - Haitian
    3 - Part Haitian/ Part Dominican

There are also:

4 - Arrayanas = descending from Haitian immigrants born in DR
    many living in the bateyes near San Pedro de Macoris, La Romana,
    Higuey, Puerto Plata, Andres/Boca Chica and all over rural DR.
    Many speak Spanish as the Dominicans

Thanks

Bring please the tripleprotection condoms/preservatives with you. The highest AIDS-Rate of haitian woman we have in the dominican republlic.
    Spend more money and find a girl in the passion bar!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus1 View Post
    Arrayanas = descending from Haitian immigrants born in DR many living in the bateyes near San Pedro de Macoris, La Romana, Higuey, Puerto Plata, Andres/Boca Chica and all over rural DR. Many speak Spanish as the Dominicans
    Hmm, interesting. I had never heard that word used with that meaning so I looked it up in the indices of several books I have on Dominican and Haitian culture without success, searched on the web without success, and then asked some Haitian and Dominican people on the premises here where I live. None of them were familar with the term.

I am always willing to learn more about both parts of Quisqueya, so I would be grateful if Taurus or another poster could cite some reference as to this meaning of the word.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taino View Post
    Bring please the tripleprotection condoms/preservatives with you. The highest AIDS-Rate of haitian woman we have in the dominican republlic.
    No, thank you. It sounds like a scare tactic to railroad my money!

It's said that you bring into your life what you really, really want and also what you really, really don't want. I believe it.

I'll take my chances somewhere else in town, but I might drink a beer there my next trip!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maretti View Post
    I might drink a beer there [Passions] my next trip!
    If you only want to drink beer, there are a helluva lot cheaper places to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Taino View Post
    Anyone who is concerned about protecting their health should use exactly the same precautions when taking a girl from Passions or any other dominicana as they would when taking a haitiana.
    Last edited by weyland; 08-25-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added quote from Taino

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    i think he was referring to telling the differeance between a fresh across the river haitian, and one that has been in sosua for a while...

if kreyol is "easy" to learn, i may have to give it a shot.. cuz i love my haitianas !!!

and i REALLY love it when they get into a good fuck, and start screaming/moaning in kreyol !!!

i still believe diosiris is haitian/dominican.. but she insists that she is ONLY dominican NO haitian...

my favorite haitian so far is a cute little girl named rosie, and a tall one juleysia .. mmmmm

time to book a trip !!

You got issues!!!!

And yeah, D's got Haitian in her.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 358 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I had never heard that word used with that meaning so I looked it up in the indices of several books I have on Dominican and Haitian culture without success, searched on the web without success, and then asked some Haitian and Dominican people on the premises here where I live. None of them were familar with the term.

I am always willing to learn more about both parts of Quisqueya, so I would be grateful if Taurus or another poster could cite some reference as to this meaning of the word.
    I was told by a tall 100% black looking chica in a bar/brothel kindafo place (for locals- near Sosua, along the Main Road; not sure if that was Playa Cangrejo?) that she was "arañada"- which litererally means "scratched"- but she explaind to me that it meant she's half-Haitian.
    I was taken there by a moto-concho driver from Montellano. He also, took me to his home to "presentarme alguien". His 16 y.o. step-daughter!
    Obviously nothing came of that. What a guy, though! LOL

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bhutto,BhuttoGolly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bhutto,BhuttoGolly View Post
    I was told by a tall 100% black looking chica ... that she was "arañada"- which literally means "scratched" - but she explained to me that it meant she's half-Haitian.
    Great post! Now we are getting somewhere!

My haitian cleaning-lady knows that expression. She said it is not demeaning and is used neutrally.
    Last edited by weyland; 08-25-2010 at 03:36 PM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Siamslim View Post
    Hey Gents,

Should I brush up on french, creole and Spanish or all thee above ???

I think my focus will be on the Haitianas my 1st trip, "a sista I can't resista" !

Slim
    If you want Haitian chicas learning Creole will open a lot of doors for you. Most of them also speak Spanish so it will also go a long way, especially in getting around the DR.

My take on Creole is somewhat different than most other posters, in my experience Creole is not simply a sub dialect or spur from the French language. It is a completely different language and requires seperate study. You can engage in a conversation in Creole and never use a French cognate if you so desire. The largest misconception most people I meet have is that Haitians speak French, in reality only about 10-14% really speak French.

While everyone knows common greetings in French "hello", "good day", "how are you", "bye", the vast majority cannot form even simple sentences in French, much less hold a conversation. The thing that makes real understanding of the nature convoluted is that educated Haitians go from Creole to proper French mid sentence and return to Creole a few sentences later (especially when going between ideas), or will express specific ideas in French and specific ideas in Creole, ......in either case a great deal of the time they will say that they were speaking in Creole......rather than French or a mixture thereof.
    Lecciones de la vida:

Si le das la mano te cojen el brazo entero
    Mas jala tiene un pelo de toto, que una junta de bueyes
    El día que la mierda tenga algún valor, los pobres nacerán sin culo
    Si la vida te da la espalda... Tócale el culo
    Amore de lejos, amor de pendejos

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,480 Times in 657 Posts

Unlike past trips, I've actually been with more haitianas than dominicanas on this trip, and am starting to acquire a preference for them. Not only do they come at a lower price point, but they just don't seem as jaded as just about every dominicana puta down here. Not that they're great every time mind you, but I'm glad they seem to be becoming an even larger part of the mix than prior.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to getrhythm For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    You can engage in a conversation in Creole and never use a French cognate if you so desire.
    Good post. I entirely agree it is a separate language in its own right, not a dialect or patois, but I don't believe your above statement. I challenge you to post a four-line example to prove your point. The more I study Kreyòl the more I realise the words are borrowed from French, although they make look or sound unrecognisable at first.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information