Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/2009 - Sosua Money Exchange (The Best Locations)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,575 Times in 1,140 Posts

Re: Sosua Money Exchange (The Best Locations)

i will say it again
    know how much you want to exchange in US and how much you wish to receive, and tell the changer that, if he says no, go to the next guy

but remember when dealing is amounts less than $500 % points don't add up to alot, so consider the value of hassle for yourself.

The best rate, hands down in sosua is at WU, bring your passport, and if you choose to change a stack or more, ask them to call for a better rate.

thats just my 2 pesos worth, but what the hell do i know

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to balcoach For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balcoach View Post
    i will say it again
    know how much you want to exchange in US and how much you wish to receive, and tell the changer that, if he says no, go to the next guy

but remember when dealing is amounts less than $500 % points don't add up to alot, so consider the value of hassle for yourself.

The best rate, hands down in sosua is at WU, bring your passport, and if you choose to change a stack or more, ask them to call for a better rate.

Great post. That's bound to save members some money, goood to knoww I can just go to the wu that's pretty close by.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Just one correction, The Playero Super Mercado across from Texaco on Rt5, always give a great rate, they do not give you just 35:1 in change, like the smaller stores, they always give more ,like 37.8 if WU is 38.
    Also ElBatey is very safe for changing money on the street, the daytime rate is almost the same at 37.7. I dont see what the danger is, has something changed very recently ,? no pun intended. those guys all have a little booth now anyway. They are legit & very controlled. Noone but recognized money changers will make change for you, its not like a Concho guy will offer it to you, they know better, for very obvious reasons.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by balcoach View Post
    i will say it again

remember on the first day the guys bringing out the calculator in rockys to see how much they were losing.
    welcome to the fraternity, *morgan freeman voice*

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rushdog34 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rushdog34 View Post
    remember on the first day the guys bringing out the calculator in rockys to see how much they were losing.

Frickin rediculous!!! They were fussing over pennies!

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    Frickin rediculous!!! They were fussing over pennies!
    A few points doesn't make more than a $5-$10 difference unless exchanging at least $1,000. My time and the hastle is worth more than that. Do you drive 15 miles to "save" 2 cents a gallon on gas?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Just one correction, The Playero Super Mercado across from Texaco on Rt5, always give a great rate, they do not give you just 35:1 in change, like the smaller stores, they always give more ,like 37.8 if WU is 38.
    Also ElBatey is very safe for changing money on the street, the daytime rate is almost the same at 37.7. I dont see what the danger is, has something changed very recently ,? no pun intended. those guys all have a little booth now anyway. They are legit & very controlled. Noone but recognized money changers will make change for you, its not like a Concho guy will offer it to you, they know better, for very obvious reasons.
    I only saw the exchange at the supermarket a little higher up in the direction of cabarete and passed the lil car stop. Thanks for clearing that up about the smaller supermarkets and the bigger ones, its good to know.

On the street my experience is u won't get a good rate if no one else is open. That's the impression I got.

But again thanks for clearing that all up

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    A few points doesn't make more than a $5-$10 difference unless exchanging at least $1,000. My time and the hastle is worth more than that. Do you drive 15 miles to "save" 2 cents a gallon on gas?
    sad but fucking true with some people. unfortunately i know a few. i've tried to drive the concept home, but to no avail. some will never "get it."
    Vida es buena....

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When I pull money in the US with my German Visa card, it's super cheap and better than anything else. My bank charges nothing, the ATM charges maybe 2 $.
    I get let's say 500 USD. Then 502 USD are converted in EUR with the official exchange rate of the day or something very close. That's incredible!!!

Is there an ATM at Puerto Plata airport where I can do the same thing (Get RD$ with VISA Debit card)?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b3k For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by b3k View Post
    When I pull money in the US with my German Visa card, it's super cheap and better than anything else. My bank charges nothing, the ATM charges maybe 2 $.
    I get let's say 500 USD. Then 502 USD are converted in EUR with the official exchange rate of the day or something very close. That's incredible!!!

Is there an ATM at Puerto Plata airport where I can do the same thing (Get RD$ with VISA Debit card)?
    I learned early on it's best to take the cash with you that you plan to spend to avoid any sort of surcharges from DR banks and ATMs are not easy to get to near some places like Blackbeards.

I don't think there is an ATM in POP airport--remember it's a 3rd world country. ATMs are all over Sosua, but there are places in DR where they're not convenient when you get around other areas.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,303 Times in 1,242 Posts

Supermarket was giving 38 last weekend and the WU was 38.5. Most of the cambios were giving 37.50-37.75.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to No Worries For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,625 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
    Supermarket was giving 38 last weekend and the WU was 38.5. Most of the cambios were giving 37.50-37.75.
    That's a great look.
    The Game Should Be Sold Not Told

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    I learned early on it's best to take the cash with you that you plan to spend to avoid any sort of surcharges from DR banks and ATMs are not easy to get to near some places like Blackbeards.

I don't think there is an ATM in POP airport--remember it's a 3rd world country. ATMs are all over Sosua, but there are places in DR where they're not convenient when you get around other areas.
    I may have been suffering from toto withdrawal, but I'd swear I've seen an ATM outside the airport by the departures area, right near all of the souvenir shops.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    I may have been suffering from toto withdrawal, but I'd swear I've seen an ATM outside the airport by the departures area, right near all of the souvenir shops.
    You're right. There is an ATM there. Right to the left when you come out of the airport. My brother used it back in May.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

There are ATMs at every airport in the DR. That's where I get my pesos. You will get the best exchange rate. And I see the fees as a small cost for the safety and convenience of not having to carry around or store large amounts of cash in a developing country.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    There are ATMs at every airport in the DR. That's where I get my pesos. You will get the best exchange rate. And I see the fees as a small cost for the safety and convenience of not having to carry around or store large amounts of cash in a developing country.
    You recall how much the fees are?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 Times in 867 Posts

Recently I was exchanging money in front of Happy Bar and a truck full of police rolled up and walked up behind me with riffles in hand. I didn't see them until they were right behind me because I was in the middle of the transaction. At first I looked at them like WTF cause I thought they were going to ask me to go with them but they just told me to finish my transaction quickly and I complied. They then took the guy that was exchanging my money and a couple of other guys away on the truck. When I saw the guy the next day I asked him what that was about and he told me just the normal police routine of rounding people up and interrogating them about what they are doing and what they've observed going on around town.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to el_papi_chew_low For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,816 Times in 253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    CHENGE!!!!!!

Click to see pic
    This is the guy that I have used for exchange for the past few years. Unless things have changed he always offered me the better rate than the street or ATMs.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,816 Times in 253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Festy View Post
    This is the guy that I have used for exchange for the past few years. Unless things have changed he always offered me the better rate than the street or ATMs.
    I don't see an update since my last post here from 2011. Is that same guy still running his exchange? I arrive on th 19th and am curious as to his current rate.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Festy View Post
    I don't see an update since my last post here from 2011. Is that same guy still running his exchange? I arrive on th 19th and am curious as to his current rate.
    He's still there. This past trip, I used the guy that is right beside Rocky's. Never any hassle. He's opened up the smallest office I have ever seen!

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information