PDA

View Full Version : Auto Accident Experience in the DR

dijinn
04-04-2008, 07:31 PM
There are numerous threads regarding renting a car with insurance and what is or is not covered. Well, I was just down in the DR for a week and I had abit of a nasty auto accident so, I thought I would share my experiences for others to learn from.

First a little background info. I typically rent a Honda CRV for weeks at a time and I've always rented from Gypsy/Jason at Adventure-Rent-A-Car, they are located right at the POP airport. I've rented from them NUMEROUS times (too many to count) and although their pricing is a little higher than you can find elsewhere, I've NEVER had a problem with them. Plus they have a good reputation on various forums. I fill out and sign all the forms and a credit card slip is processed at the amount of $65/day. When I return the car in satisfactory condition, I pay in cash at a rate of $50/day and the forms and credit slips are ripped up. The "understanding" is that if I am ever in an accident then all the forms/credit card information is processed and I am fully covered under insurance, both their's and my credit card's. Well, here's what happened to me, when I got into an accident:

I do want to state that although Dominican drivers are crazy, this accident was entirely my fault. I rear-ended a 1997 Toyota Corolla with a 2002 Honda CRV and although we were traveling in the left-hand lane of a 4 lane road with a divider in the middle and I have no idea why the Corolla slammed on his brakes and came to a dead stop in front of me, I did rear-end him and take full responsibility.

Now, I hit the Corolla pretty hard, I had just glanced down at the time on my cell phone and when I looked up it was too late to stop. I did manage to slam on the brakes and I figure that I probably hit him at around 10-15 mph, which doesn't sound like alot, but I did substantial damage to the Corolla as well as the CRV. Roughly 1/3 of the Corolla's trunk was pushed in, both tail lights were shattered, center rear panel trim was shattered and the bumper had a HUGE gash down the right side of it. The CRV had it's bumper and front grill pushed completely in, the radiator and a/c condenser coils were folded in half and the electric fans behind the radiator and in front of the motor were both shattered. Both cars did start and run, although the CRV had all of it's coolant leaking out onto the highway.

The Corolla had 5 passengers (1 male driver and 4 female passengers) and I was alone. Thankfully, noone was hurt, not even a case of whip-lash. Surprisingly, the other party didn't come storming out, screaming at me. We both checked to make sure everyone was safe and I then proceeded to call Jason to ask what I needed to do. He told me he would be right over from the airport to help me out. We left both cars parked where the accident occurred and waited for Jason to come. Two police cars stopped on two seperate occasions, the first was a policia nacional and the second was a policia trafico. Neither stuck around, they both just looked around and then got back into their cars and left. A Dominican lawyer did show up asking the other party if they needed his services though! I guess not too far from what happens here in the US. His services were graciously declined and he continued on his way.

Jason finally showed up and we all eventually ended up at the police station. There all information of both parties were taken down (you need your driver's license in hand and need to know your passport number). Car registration and insurance is of course provided by the rental company. The officer basically just wrote down an explanation of what happened in a notebook and had both parties sign it. Then of course, I had to tip the officer 200 pesos so, I could have the process of having an official police report in hand by the time I returned back to the States. Otherwise, I believe it would take roughly a week for the report to be ready.

And ultimately, in the end this is what I ended up having to pay for:

I had to personally pay for all damages to the Toyota Corolla. This included 2 new rear tail-lights, the center rear trim, new rear bumper and the work to straighten out the chassis, install and paint everything. All that came to roughly 14,000 pesos.

I had to also pay up front for all the damages to the CRV. This included a new front bumper, new radiator, new dual electric fan setup, new a/c condenser coil, new front grill and the labor to install and paint everything. That came to roughly 32,000 pesos.

The "full" insurance that is provided has a deductible of 90,000 pesos. So, any damages incurred from 1-90,000 pesos comes out of the renter's pocket. Apparently, this is standard policy practice down in the DR.

So, 46,000 pesos came directly out of my pocket. My credit card was charged for the full amount of $65/day and I have to provide my credit card company with receipts for all the damages, copy of the rental agreement and a copy of the police report. I will be reimbursed for everything minus $500.00.

I never thought I would see the inside of a Dominican police station. Thankfully, I have the means to pay for all the damage I caused immediately. Otherwise, I believe you are held until you CAN round up the money somehow/someway.

Now, considering I have been driving around all over the island under the assumption that I was fully covered for any kind of accident and I could just literally walk away from one, this was a good wake up call for me. There is no rental insurance that comes with full insurance that allows you to walk away from an accident. If you ask, the counter people will charge you for all the extraneous crap that you can want but ultimately, you will have to pay for damages out of your own pockets and seek reimbursement elsewhere.

Although, I have no problems with Jason and Adventure-Rent-A-Car, I will no longer rent cars from them anymore. I will seek out the cheaper alternatives because I now know, that paying extra for "premium insurance coverage" really doesn't get you anything more.

Live and learn...

- J.

El Capitan
04-04-2008, 07:39 PM
That's a lot of taxis and Metro or Caribe bus trips....I know it's a hassle but a lot better for me....sorry for your misfortune

Beads
04-04-2008, 07:50 PM
How did you have to pay the 46,000RD with a credit card or did it all have to be in cash?

dijinn
04-04-2008, 07:59 PM
The damages to the Corolla I had to pay for everything right then and there. So, it was paid for in cash. All damages to the Corolla had to be settled to the satisfaction of the other driver, prior to heading to the police. Once the driver agreed everything was settled, that's when we all went to the police station. There the officer asked the other driver if I had covered all damages to his satisfaction and he answered yes, I had indeed covered everything. Otherwise, I'm guessing it could have gotten nasty.

The damage to the CRV was paid via credit card once I returned the second car I was issued to the airport. I probably will NOT be compensated for the damages to the Corolla by my credit card company.

- J.

papirazzi
04-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Man this story is making me second guess renting a vehicle for my first trip to Sosua. Do you think places like Hertz would pull something like this?

Beads
04-04-2008, 08:03 PM
So your out the $500 deductible, 200RD for the police and another 14,000RD to fix the Corolla?

How did they come up with the 14,000RD price? Bring it to a mechanic or did one magically appear to make an estimate? Or did the car owner make his own estimate?

dijinn
04-04-2008, 08:10 PM
We drove to an auto parts store on the main highway that runs through Puerto Plata. It's a few doors down from La Barrica, across the street from Dominican Billy's condos. The parts for the Corolla cost 6,500 pesos at this auto parts tienda.

Then we went to an auto body shop located more towards the center of Puerto Plata. After looking at the damage to the Corolla, I was quoted 7,500 pesos for the repair work, which I paid for right then and there.

- J.

Beads
04-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks for sharing this information.

3somefan
04-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Geeze!! What a terrible experience!

Thanks for your honesty and for sharing this with us. Best of luck with everything...

dijinn
04-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Man this story is making me second guess renting a vehicle for my first trip to Sosua. Do you think places like Hertz would pull something like this?

My very first time I rented a car in Puerto Plata, I rented from Hertz. Online while making the reservation I selected liability, collision and everything I could possibly see/read about because I was paranoid about getting into an accident and I wanted to make sure I could walk away from one. For a Chevy Cobalt with insurance, I was quoted online, roughly $400.00 for a week. Regular pricing on one without all the insurance was roughly $250.00 for the week.

Once I got down there at the Hertz counter waiting to pick up the car, The rate "miraculously" went up to over $500.00 for the week. I argued and argued but ultimately, I was told that's the price if I wanted "full" coverage. I walked away from the counter and ended up at Adventure-Rent-A-Car and have been renting cars from ever since.. although no longer now.

When I returned to the States from that trip, I called Hertz and asked about what the extra $100+ charge was. They told me that all international locations are franchised and sometimes there are additional/unforeseen surcharges. And I'm guessing since I ultimately, didn't rent from them, they really didn't care to follow up with the discrepancy in pricing.

Would paying $500+ a week to rent a small passenger car include full-blown insurance coverage? I cannot answer that because I simply do not know. But considering you're paying double the cost without insurance, I certainly would hope so. But who knows what the hell goes on down in the DR. I certainly wouldn't trust the counter people to answer anything honestly.

- J.

MyTio
04-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Geeze!! What a terrible experience!

Thanks for your honesty and for sharing this with us. Best of luck with everything... I think if you want to tour pop or some other small village it better to hire a taxi I hired palo for 4 hours for $50
:eek: it look like we have a few guys that want to go it will be less them $ 15 dollars each:biggrin: </IMG>

Cheeno
04-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Dijinn, I am sorry to hear about your experience.

But I am glad that you were not seriously hurt (which is most important).

ElPlomero
04-04-2008, 10:37 PM
The damages to the Corolla I had to pay for everything right then and there. So, it was paid for in cash. All damages to the Corolla had to be settled to the satisfaction of the other driver, prior to heading to the police. Once the driver agreed everything was settled, that's when we all went to the police station. There the officer asked the other driver if I had covered all damages to his satisfaction and he answered yes, I had indeed covered everything. Otherwise, I'm guessing it could have gotten nasty.

The damage to the CRV was paid via credit card once I returned the second car I was issued to the airport. I probably will NOT be compensated for the damages to the Corolla by my credit card company.

- J.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Cheeno's right, you suffered no physical damage. Secondly, the occupants of the other didn't either get hurt nor did they pretend to. Third, you had the cash to buy your way out and didn't miss your flight while taking care of business.

I hope you have something in writing attesting to the property damage payment, because if you do, you will probably get paid for it, depending of course on the coverage.

All that said, it's a good lesson for all on this board who want to drive in The DR to at least make sure that they keep their drivers licence and copy of their passport with them when they drive. They also need to take enough money on their trip to pay off anyone that suffers as a result of an accident.

Many herein have expressed the opinion that driving in the DR is not worth the risks. I agree with them. Maybe now, some who think otherwise will see the risks that they actually taking and be prepared.

You do realize that it didn't really matter if it was your fault or not, right? The result would have been the same either way.

Thanks for sharing.

moshy2k
04-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks for sharing, but why did you have to pay for the damage to the CRV upfront? Didn't you have their insurance. And did you have the option to card the damage to the CRV to the rental company?

cainer
04-04-2008, 11:48 PM
I was actually considering renting a car but, i always feared that no matter what kind of insurance i bought, I never really would know exactly what I have until I needed it. That kind of scares me with uncertainty. Just like the OP mentioned, he thought he had everything but even after renting many times in tha past, he still found himself in a situation that was difficult and hard to imagine.

I think ill just skip the rental and pay extra for cabs.

Thanks dijinn for your post. It helped me decide what route to go.

dijinn
04-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Insurance coverage only kicks in, once damages EXCEED 90,000 pesos. Anything under that, you have to pay for yourself and then try to get reimbursed by your credit card company's coverage. And the damage to the CRV must be carded so, you can prove to your credit card company how much the repairs cost.

I believe as long as you have receipts, I'm sure they an be used as proof also. But if you charge the damages directly to the card, it's apparently alot easier to get reimbursed.

I was always under the impression that the extra amount I was paying to rent these cars was for peace of mind/insurance coverage. I always figured in a relatively minor to medium accident, I would probably end up paying out a few hundred dollars even with the insurance coverage. Well, unless you exceed roughly $2,750 in damages, YOU will be paying for it!

- J.

dijinn
04-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Dijinn, I am sorry to hear about your experience.

But I am glad that you were not seriously hurt (which is most important).

Thanks Cheeno... I for one am EXTREMELY thankful that noone was hurt. Running around getting parts, paying for the work estimate and then heading to the police station, took the better part of a full day. It amazed me that a car with 5 people in it, noone had anything better to do than ride around and watch. If this happened to me in NY, everyone would be yelling at each other that they have to get back to work!

- J.

dijinn
04-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Oh and one more thing about the accident that I forgot to mention. Although, the impact was pretty hard... none of the car's airbags deployed. I found out at the bodyshop that this is standard practice down in the DR for people to pull the airbags out of their cars. In case of an accident, it keeps the cost of the repairs down and the airbags are sold off (probably to US shops) to help offset the purchase of the vehicle.

So, next time you're driving a car down in the DR and the little red SRS light on the dash is on, now you know why!

- J.

weyland
04-05-2008, 04:21 AM
That's a lot of taxis and Metro or Caribe bus trips....I know it's a hassle but a lot better for me....sorry for your misfortune
I am with you Captain! Look for an old limey fart on the adjacent seat!

If anyone spots me at a car rental place waiting to sign up, please carry me away to the senior care home because my mind will have gone.

Tremendous report, dijinn. Thanks for taking the trouble to post in such great detail. I especially liked the bit about the airbags!

Inconego
04-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Djinn, first of all sorry about your experience man, but Cheeno is right. You can't purchase the fact that you, or anyone in the other car was not hurt! so you are lucky. Also the fact that you HAD the cheddar also makes you fortunate.

Now in the case of companies, on the board, many guys have posted that I think Alamo is a good company to rent with, because they don't have additional fees (if my memory serves me correct).

As far as coverage is concerned I ALWAYS decline, why? Because I use my Amex Gold card. I had an incident last time I rented a car there (got caught in a Flood)... I was able to hustle the rental company and get out of dodge, BUT Amex Gold was more than willing to get on the job for me, and it was no problem, they were even apologizing to me on the phone for my experience. They cover collisions or 'natural disasters' or anything.

I would really suggest to all of us that travel a lot to take our own coverage into our own hands. These car rental companies are very shady, and rent us cars that have damaged historys. It is imporant that we don't leave our coverage up to these guys at any time.

If you travel a lot, make the investment and upgrade the kind of coverage you use. And also in the event you've been ripped off, Amex has no problem stopping payments (Another reason why many places in DR would rather take another card over your Amex)

Incogneg...

greydread
04-05-2008, 02:02 PM
90,000 peso deductible? That's 54 TLN's and a couple of street rat blow jobs.

Thanks for the heads up.

TAXI!!!

Corrado
04-05-2008, 02:51 PM
My very first time I rented a car in Puerto Plata, I rented from Hertz. ..... For a Chevy Cobalt with insurance, I was quoted online, roughly $400.00 for a week. Regular pricing on one without all the insurance was roughly $250.00 for the week.

Once I got down there at the Hertz counter waiting to pick up the car, The rate "miraculously" went up to over $500.00 for the week. .... I walked away from the counter and ended up at Adventure-Rent-A-Car and have been renting cars from ever since.. although no longer now.

When I returned to the States from that trip, I called Hertz and asked about what the extra $100+ charge was. They told me that all international locations are franchised and sometimes there are additional/unforeseen surcharges. And I'm guessing since I ultimately, didn't rent from them, they really didn't care to follow up with the discrepancy in pricing.

- J.

Sorry about your bad experience but glad you and the other people are unhurt. The Bad/weird thing about the international rental care franchise thing is that in a good many countries the business is only buying the right to use the name and infrastructure. They do not have to honor the US/Canadian price you get off the internet just because of what you mentioned; what ever fees, taxes, or service charges that exist in the country you travel to. Avis, Hertz etc. they are all in the same boat. In my experience the only time you get the actual cost is when you call the international location direct and ask, or if you deal with an in country Dominican car rental website.

Bug Boy
04-05-2008, 08:22 PM
FUCK IT

I'm taking the $400 from a rental car and taking taxis and publicos. Probably come out with enough left over for a couple of TLN's

I guess I'll get that new pair of tennies before I go down too.

moshy2k
04-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Djinn, first of all sorry about your experience man, but Cheeno is right. You can't purchase the fact that you, or anyone in the other car was not hurt! so you are lucky. Also the fact that you HAD the cheddar also makes you fortunate.

Now in the case of companies, on the board, many guys have posted that I think Alamo is a good company to rent with, because they don't have additional fees (if my memory serves me correct).

As far as coverage is concerned I ALWAYS decline, why? Because I use my Amex Gold card. I had an incident last time I rented a car there (got caught in a Flood)... I was able to hustle the rental company and get out of dodge, BUT Amex Gold was more than willing to get on the job for me, and it was no problem, they were even apologizing to me on the phone for my experience. They cover collisions or 'natural disasters' or anything.

I would really suggest to all of us that travel a lot to take our own coverage into our own hands. These car rental companies are very shady, and rent us cars that have damaged historys. It is imporant that we don't leave our coverage up to these guys at any time.

If you travel a lot, make the investment and upgrade the kind of coverage you use. And also in the event you've been ripped off, Amex has no problem stopping payments (Another reason why many places in DR would rather take another card over your Amex)

Incogneg...

Incogneg,

I have also research the credit card coverage and use my Amex gold when renting. I also have the $20 charge per rental to cover the car tha Amex charges. The problem with this may come up when the accident actually happens.

What if everyone refuses payment from Amex in the crisis? Of course the owners of the 2nd vehicle dont take Amex. So the person is out of pocket at least 90k before the additional insurance kicks in.

Then, we have to hope the car company we rented from will honor their agreement and accept payment from Amex. However, if they demand payment in cash at that moment the Amex holder is screwed.....

It's great to wave a Amex gold card around but if no one will accept it then it becomes as useful as used toilet tissue. And their is nothing Amex can do to help you, me or anyone else. Of course if the rental company honors the card then we can at least let them charge whatever they want on the Amex and let Amex sort it out afterwards. That would at least resolve the rental car portion.

I don't think Amex covers the 2nd party car (does anyone know?). And from Dijinn's post (assuming I understood it). the 2nd party insurance kicks in after you have paid 90k pesos. Which could have someone fucked if they had to pay it in cash at a moments notice. Especially, if they are threatening you with jail until you come up with the funds...

Does anyone know if any other rental companies additonal insurance covers the 2nd party's car 100% without a deductible?

Damn, that shit is scary...... I am glad it all worked out for you dijinn.

guttaman
04-06-2008, 02:53 AM
GET INSURANCE:::::::::::::

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/4664463d0f229d6b0.jpg

ElPlomero
04-06-2008, 02:55 AM
Incogneg,

I have also research the credit card coverage and use my Amex gold when renting. I also have the $20 charge per rental to cover the car tha Amex charges. The problem with this may come up when the accident actually happens.

What if everyone refuses payment from Amex in the crisis? Of course the owners of the 2nd vehicle dont take Amex. So the person is out of pocket at least 90k before the additional insurance kicks in.

Then, we have to hope the car company we rented from will honor their agreement and accept payment from Amex. However, if they demand payment in cash at that moment the Amex holder is screwed.....

It's great to wave a Amex gold card around but if no one will accept it then it becomes as useful as used toilet tissue. And their is nothing Amex can do to help you, me or anyone else. Of course if the rental company honors the card then we can at least let them charge whatever they want on the Amex and let Amex sort it out afterwards. That would at least resolve the rental car portion.

I don't think Amex covers the 2nd party car (does anyone know?). And from Dijinn's post (assuming I understood it). the 2nd party insurance kicks in after you have paid 90k pesos. Which could have someone fucked if they had to pay it in cash at a moments notice. Especially, if they are threatening you with jail until you come up with the funds...

Does anyone know if any other rental companies additonal insurance covers the 2nd party's car 100% without a deductible?

Damn, that shit is scary...... I am glad it all worked out for you dijinn.

I think the premium insurance covers just about everything. That's why I signed up.

You only need to pay for the rental car with the card and that will be on your contract beforehand.

AMEX can't deny your claim because you pay anything other than the rental bill with the card, think about it. What property damage (all private parties) could or would take AMEX?

If you use an international franchise, they all accept AMEX. Some mom and pop shop may not, though.

Deal with a known company, and take enough money to at least pay for some medical bills or property damage.

Another credit card, or an ATM card wouldn't hurt, either.

moshy2k
04-06-2008, 03:08 AM
I think the premium insurance covers just about everything. That's why I signed up.

You only need to pay for the rental car with the card and that will be on your contract beforehand.

AMEX can't deny your claim because you pay anything other than the rental bill with the card, think about it. What property damage (all private parties) could or would take AMEX?

If you use an international franchise, they all accept AMEX. Some mom and pop shop may not, though.

Deal with a known company, and take enough money to at least pay for some medical bills or property damage.

Another credit card, or an ATM card wouldn't hurt, either.

ElP,

Good point about dealing with a reputable insurance company.

And did the additional insurance reimburse you or did the rental company cover the other car? And which car rental spot in POP do you use?

guttaman
04-06-2008, 03:13 AM
ElP,

And did the additional insurance reimburse you or did the rental company cover the other car? And which car rental spot in POP do you use?

Cost me $1800 and $100 to a mafiaso and RD1000 to the Colonelnat the Sosua cop shop. I was held 3 days before i could leave the island. I had an expitred licence when i rented the Jeepeta but it only mattereedthat i had nooinsurance,

ElPlomero
04-06-2008, 03:16 AM
ElP,

Actually, every time I've been involved with a rental car, one of my traveling buddies have actually done the renting. They always seem to go before I do and leave after I do. I just contribute my share.

And... I meant a reputable rental agent, not insurance co..

My guys seem to use Europecar or Alamo, as far as I remember. You have to check rates because they all use a different algorithm for rate calculation and one time a certain company will be cheaper and another time, another company will be.

I think that, as long as it's a known international co., they would all be about the same.

I'd go with the best rate.

ElPlomero
04-06-2008, 03:17 AM
ElP,

Fortunately, I've never been in an accident in The DR.

moshy2k
04-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Cost me $1800 and $100 to a mafiaso and RD1000 to the Colonelnat the Sosua cop shop. I was held 3 days before i could leave the island. I had an expitred licence when i rented the Jeepeta but it only mattereedthat i had nooinsurance,

Ouch,

So we still need to determine if any additional insurance would cover a person 100%. And would we pay and get reimbursed?

1. I believe the Amex will cover the car I rent.
2. What could I get to cover the other car 100% or will I have to put out cash and work to get money back. Or pay the deductible.

ElPlomero
04-06-2008, 03:28 AM
Ouch,

So we still need to determine if any additional insurance would cover a person 100%. And would we pay and get reimbursed?

1. I believe the Amex will cover the car I rent.
2. What could I get to cover the other car 100% or will I have to put out cash and work to get money back. Or pay the deductible.

As far as I can tell, Dominican Law is set up to protect the poor Dominican that the nasty gringo screwed up. Even if we would consider the accident to be the other guy's fault (like he hit you), you will be on the hook.

As I understand it, the way it works is that they will not release you until you satisfy the demands of the local. That usually means that you pay for everything.

God help you if there's personal injury involved. If there is, you will need to settle up with the hospital or pay the party or party's representative to settle.

The same goes for their car, only it's a body shop instead of a hospital.

As for the rental car, you will need to pay out of pocket for anything covered by AMEX etc., and anything under the deductible. (90,000dop for the other guy who posted)

As long as you have receipts, AMEX is supposed to reimburse you for anything out of pocket, up to the maximums afterward.

Better would be to charge anything you can on the card. It would probably make things more orderly.

Theoretically, you can't buy enough insurance to cover yourself 100%. Every policy has limits and conditions. No one policy can cover everything without limit and have no disqualifiers. I think the AMEX premium plan comes close, though.

Just don't forget, with AMEX, if the car has any aftermarket equipment (including a radio), the insurance is void and you have nothing.

guttaman
04-06-2008, 03:36 AM
Gonna crash. Willtell later

Drjetman
04-06-2008, 05:40 AM
It's good to have a car in the DR. It gives you many options but it comes with many problems as well. I have rented one on many occasions and I came to consider it an anchor in many ways. First off is the accident possibility which is the subject of this thread. In Santo Domingo the traffic sucks so that's another. Then, when you park you worry about getting sideswiped or hit by another vehicle. I had my parked car scraped by a truck. There was no dent but I had to pay a guy to rub out the marks. Also when you park there seems to always be a self proclaimed "parking attendant" with his hand out who says he will keep an eye on your car. It's a little like extortion because if you don't give him 20 pesos some of them look like they'd fuck up your car. Then there's all the other guys who want to wash your car. Then there's the cops who pull you over and demand money in lieu of arrest. That scam happened to me once. For the most part in Santo Domingo you can get around by walking or taxis and that's what I do now. I always have the taxi drivers take me right to the Casas. (Just kidding Cheeno) I would only rent a car if I was going to travel a great distance.

WickedWillie
04-06-2008, 10:53 AM
As far as I can tell, Dominican Law is set up to protect the poor Dominican that the nasty gringo screwed up. Even if we would consider the accident to be the other guy's fault (like he hit you), you will be on the hook.

As I understand it, the way it works is that they will not release you until you satisfy the demands of the local. That usually means that you pay for everything.

God help you if there's personal injury involved. If there is, you will need to settle up with the hospital or pay the party or party's representative to settle.

The same goes for their car, only it's a body shop instead of a hospital.

As for the rental car, you will need to pay out of pocket for anything covered by AMEX etc., and anything under the deductible. (90,000dop for the other guy who posted)

As long as you have receipts, AMEX is supposed to reimburse you for anything out of pocket, up to the maximums afterward.

Better would be to charge anything you can on the card. It would probably make things more orderly.

Theoretically, you can't buy enough insurance to cover yourself 100%. Every policy has limits and conditions. No one policy can cover everything without limit and have no disqualifiers. I think the AMEX premium plan comes close, though.

Just don't forget, with AMEX, if the car has any aftermarket equipment (including a radio), the insurance is void and you have nothing.

Ain't that the truth!!
Your fault or theirs, if there is personal injury involved you will go to jail (for your protection and to ensure you don't do a runner), you will go to court, you will have an "impediamenta de salida " imposed on you, you will settle with the other party, you will pay, you will then go back to court to have the agreement made official and the restrictions imposed lifted.

This is the procedure.

Did that last year and it wasn't pleasant, thankfully my accident was with a gringa but it still cost me over US$6K. I was told by my lawyer that a Dominican would get 5 times as much.

So it seems to me the best option for the guys that visit and want to get around should just hire a driver and car or take taxis.

Inconego
04-06-2008, 02:59 PM
ElP,

Not sure about 2nd party insurance, but Amex was more than willing to cover everything for my car. Haven't had any problems with Rentin with Amex... A lot of these car agencies pre-charge your card anyway, so they have no problem putting the deal on your card...

I will look into that however at some point... I will still recommend Amex gold, I have all the bells and whistles with the extended travel coverage, e.t.c... But good point... will look into their policy with second party coverage...

I was initially worried, and almost forgot all about my Amex card.... but things worked out fine... Even relaxed enough to hit some pussy on my way out the door...

Inconego
04-06-2008, 03:10 PM
American Express® Rewards Plus Gold Card (https://www124.americanexpress.com/cards/loyalty.do?page=rewardsplusgold&Card_name=RewardsPlusGold) > Benefits of the Rewards Plus Gold Card (https://www124.americanexpress.com/cards/loyalty.do?page=rewardsplusgold.benefits) > Car Rental Loss and Damage InsuranceDecline the collision damage waiverDid someone hit your rental car? Not to worry with the Car Rental Loss & Damage Insurance Plan getNextFootNoteIndex(); document.write('' + footNoteIndex + ' (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/#footnotes_' + footNoteIndex + ')'); 1 (https://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/dom/us/en/feefreeservices/pages/carrentallossdamageinsurance_rewardsplusgold.do?vgnextoid=f1687e728252e010VgnVCM10000084b3ad94RCRD&vgnextchannel=3c830da9846dd010VgnVCM10000084b3ad94RCRD&name=carrent#footnotes_1).

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress.com/Internet/CCSG/Consumer%20Cards/Fee%20Free%20Services/-Shared%20Images/subhdr_details_354_16.gif

Use your Card - When you are the primary renter,
simply use your eligible Card to reserve and pay
for your auto rental.
Say "No Thanks" - Decline the collision damage
waiver (CDW) or similar option when you are reserving and picking up your car from the Commercial Car Rental Company.
Enjoy the Ride - The Car Rental Loss and Damage
Insurance Plan provides coverage against theft of or
damage to most rental vehicles. Coverage applies for the first 30 days, and is in excess to your other sources of insurance.3. What is covered? Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance reimburses a Cardmember for payments for damage to or theft of a Rental Auto that the Cardmember is required to make. The Plan provides secondary coverage. No coverage is provided for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Jamaica and New Zealand. In addition, the Plan does not cover liability or another type of loss. Terms and Conditions apply.

Hmmm... So Moshy, seems you may be right... Didn't realize there was NO liability insurance... Unless i'm interpreting this wrong, I guess that's the case...

I do think i'm signed up for the premium coerage, so i'll double check that too...

Inconego
04-06-2008, 03:11 PM
For guys with families, or want to OD on your coverage... you can use premium...

https://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/images/travel_insurance/car_rental/premiumcarrental.jpghttps://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/images/travel_insurance/car_rental/quick_travelins.gif (https://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/travel/hub.do)https://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/images/common/clear.gif Get Premium Car Rental Protection without the premium price. With up to $100,000 of insurance coverage, this Plan helps protect you from damages and theft when you rent a car from a Rental Company. Unlike insurance from car rental companies, you pay a flat rate when you rent an eligible rental vehicle. And since this is primary insurance for theft and damage to your rented vehicle, you won't have to dip into your own insurance first (which could lead to higher personal rates), or pay a deductible.https://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/images/common/clear.gifhttps://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/images/travel_insurance/features.gif•Coverage is activated when you use your enrolled Card to reserve and pay for the Rental Auto.•Coverage is for you and your Passengers.•Up to $100,000 for theft of or damage to the rental car.•Up to $100,000 for Accidental Death or Dismemberment (up to $10,000 for a Passenger). For California Residents, up to $250,000 for Accidental Death or Dismemberment for the Cardmember and each Passenger.•Up to $15,000 per person for medical expenses.•Up to $5,000 per person for theft of personal property.•Check your claim status online.•Certain limitations and restrictions apply.https://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/images/common/clear.gifhttps://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/images/travel_insurance/car_rental/premium.gifDepending on the coverage level that you choose, a premium of either $19.95 or $24.95 per rental ($15.95 or $17.95 for California Residents) will be charged to your American Express Card until your enrollment is terminated. Coverage is for up to 42 consecutive days (up to 30 consecutive days for Washington Cardmembers).https://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/images/common/clear.gifhttps://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/images/travel_insurance/cov_details.gifSee details (https://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/travel/car_rental/coverage.do) about coverage, benefits, and exceptions.https://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/images/common/clear.gifhttps://www152.americanexpress.com/fsea/images/travel_insurance/underwriter.gifPremium Car Rental Protection is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, DePere, WI. Coverage is determined by the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0610 and is subject to change with notice. This document does not supplement or replace the Policy.When identifying insurance products that may be of interest to you, American Express may act on behalf of the insurance company and receive compensation that may vary by company and product. American Express may also receive additional financial benefit when AMEX Assurance Company or another American Express entity acts as the insurer or reinsurer for these products.

Inconego
04-06-2008, 03:16 PM
After reading the details, although Premium coverage from Amex increases the benefits of their covererage, there is NO liability for the other driver... hmm...

So bottom line, an accident in DR is gonna cost you if you hit someone else...

Bug Boy
04-06-2008, 05:56 PM
When I started planning on renting a car in the back of my mind I suspected it might not be such a wise decision but I let my judgement get clouded by the thought of having the freedom to roam around the North coast at will. I'm glad this info was posted now.

FOR ME, IT JUST ISN'T WORTH THE POTENTIAL HASSLES!!!

TAXI!!

Beads
04-06-2008, 07:55 PM
The more I hear about these horror stories the more I wonder how Dominicans can drive around. I mean if they have an accident they are accountable as well arent they? This definitely explains why everyone drives away when they have any type of accident especially when it involves injuries.

As one of the previous posts stated having to pay up to $3000 for a damaged vehicle and even more if there are injuries just isn't possible for a lot of travelers. So now someone who has a credit card with maybe a $5000 credit line and the $2000 they brought for their vacation just won't be able to pay that much.

Theres also quite a few people who can't simply call back home and say hey I need $5000 cash to get out of jail. Its not like you can get that from an ATM even if you had that in your checking account.

ChicaSeeka
04-06-2008, 08:03 PM
The more I hear about these horror stories the more I wonder how Dominicans can drive around. I mean if they have an accident they are accountable as well arent they? This definitely explains why everyone drives away when they have any type of accident especially when it involves injuries.

As one of the previous posts stated having to pay up to $3000 for a damaged vehicle and even more if there are injuries just isn't possible for a lot of travelers. So now someone who has a credit card with maybe a $5000 credit line and the $2000 they brought for their vacation just won't be able to pay that much.

Theres also quite a few people who can't simply call back home and say hey I need $5000 cash to get out of jail. Its not like you can get that from an ATM even if you had that in your checking account.

EXACTLY :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ter319
04-06-2008, 08:44 PM
After reading what has been said here, I was starting to consider to rent a car, now its not going to happen, it would be cheaper to try to find a good local driver and let them deal with the headache

WickedWillie
04-07-2008, 08:19 AM
It's not just about finding the immediate money, I had an "impediamenta de salida" imposed on me, which means that one cannot leave the island until the fiscal, the court and the other party are settled with and satisfied.
This process took me 2 months.
Explain that to your significant other when you are supposed to be fishing in the Florida Keys.

Jimmydr
04-07-2008, 08:38 AM
It's not just about finding the immediate money, I had an "impediamenta de salida" imposed on me, which means that one cannot leave the island until the fiscal, the court and the other party are settled with and satisfied.
Explain that to your significant other when you are supposed to be fishing in the Florida Keys.

Mine delayed me about an hour.

jd_mine
04-07-2008, 11:04 AM
At the big companies like Budget and Avis you can buy liability insurance though and on top of that you can buy off the deductible. It will make the rental cost about twice as high as it is without the additional insurance, but I always take it.

ChicaSeeka
04-07-2008, 08:09 PM
you can have all the insurance in the world, but it appears according to DR law it does not mean shit while there, all it may do is get you re-imbursed when you get back, IF YOU GET BACK :eek:

psriches
04-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Explain that to your significant other when you are supposed to be fishing in the Florida Keys.Ya hear that MOSHY??:eek:

PapiQueRico
04-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Ya hear that MOSHY??:eek:

OUCH! :bash:

Cheeno
04-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Well, the most important thing is that dijinn and the other passengers were not seriously hurt. What if the passengers tried to take advantage of Dijinn? Dijinn is very fortunate that it was not worse.

Dijinn loss some money. But that is all he lost--money. Because he can still commute to work and home, walk, fuck women, see, and hear so he is actually a very very very lucky guy.

Money can always be made again but not one’s health condition.

I understand that some of you are reluctant to rent a car. But I will continue to rent one.

Of course there are pro’s and con’s between renting a car and using public transportation such as a taxi.

If I were to travel from Santo Domingo to Santiago or Sosua, then I would take the Metro or Caribe. It is cheap, has A/C, comfortable seats, and you can chat with chicas. :smile:

I rent a car from Alamo around 30 times in the DR and I enjoy the flexibility and freedom. I buy a Presidente, turn on the A/C, and hunt for chicas.

I actually got into a small accident while in a taxi (Toni you fucking asshole). Toni suddenly tried to squeeze between two cars and scratched both of them. Both drivers are cursing at him. Toni is cursing at the two. A police came and took Toni’s info. I sat there for around 30 minutes.

I had a few taxis just stop (battery died). I paid the driver, got out of the car, and walked.

I hate it when taxi’s drive through a red light late at night. Or if one of their headlights is not working. Serious safety concerns.

Taxi drivers are actually worse than the chicas. Taxi drivers will drive in circles to make it look like that your destination is farther than it actually is.

Lastly, they get a cut from the casas. For the chicas, this makes you look like a newbie which is not a good sign. And the chicas will be expecting a nice tip from you to make up for the loss cut that went to the taxi driver (1/3 of the price that you paid for the session).

moshy2k
04-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Ya hear that MOSHY??:eek:

Fuck You Psriches LOL!!!!!!!! Don't hate the Master LOL. And where is Anyi DAMNIT!!!!!

dijinn
04-08-2008, 08:53 PM
My original post was not meant to deter people from renting cars. My sole intention was to explain exactly what happened to me so, others could learn from it and be prepared themselves.

Will I still rent cars? Absolutely. I enjoy the freedom a car gives you to travel all around the island without having to rely on anyone else or other means of transportation.

Will I drive more cautiously? Absolutely. No more trying to break my personal best record of 2 hours 20 minutes from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo. I did learn that you cannot get a Honda CRV, going downhill, with the accelerator pinned to go over 125mph, during this reckless driving period. That is NOT kph... but mph. :corky:

I count myself lucky that noone got hurt and I got into an accident with a group of friendly Dominicans. I am dead serious about the lawyer showing up within 15 minutes of the accident and asking the OTHER party if they needed his services. Thankfully, they turned him down even after he stuck around for 10 more minutes trying to convince them, they needed him. I'm sure it could have been MUCH worse for me otherwise.

Like I said before... you live and learn.

- J.

moshy2k
04-08-2008, 10:28 PM
I did learn that you cannot get a Honda CRV, going downhill, with the accelerator pinned to go over 125mph, during this reckless driving period. That is NOT kph... but mph. :corky:

Ok now this is what I define as fucking stupid. Hopefully, you have learned to appreciate life rather than gamble with death.

I hate when I see guys do this on the highway. They somehow survive the accident but kill 5 other people.

I remember when I brought my first car (sports car) and some idiot pulled up next to me gunning his engine at a red light. Then wanted to eyeball me. I eyeballed him back . when the light changed he floored it while I took off at my normal speed.

The next thing I knew the guy had to run on the sidewalk to avoid cars at the next light (blind hill) and tore up the side of his car on a sign. I got a good laugh as a cop witnessed the whole thing and pulled up next to him pissed.

Cheeno
04-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Ok now this is what I define as fucking stupid. Hopefully, you have learned to appreciate life rather than gamble with death.

I hate when I see guys do this on the highway. They somehow survive the accident but kill 5 other people.

I remember when I brought my first car (sports car) and some idiot pulled up next to me gunning his engine at a red light. Then wanted to eyeball me. I eyeballed him back . when the light changed he floored it while I took off at my normal speed.

The next thing I knew the guy had to run on the sidewalk to avoid cars at the next light (blind hill) and tore up the side of his car on a sign. I got a good laugh as a cop witnessed the whole thing and pulled up next to him pissed.

There are a lot of idiots here in Boston who want to race me. Recently, a few assholes who drive an Infiniti G35 Coupe who think that they are driving an M5 or RS4. :icontd:

I ignore them and I also drive at a normal pace. They stay on the left lane and they stop because the car in front of him is trying to make a left turn. So I just pass him. :D

tampabukkake
04-09-2008, 04:53 PM
At the big companies like Budget and Avis you can buy liability insurance though and on top of that you can buy off the deductible. It will make the rental cost about twice as high as it is without the additional insurance, but I always take it.

JD... a seasoned monger.. wise words!!!!!!! You can also buy this at Adventure as the basic FULL INSURANCE is with a 3,000 deductable

I strictly use Adventure Rent a Car and Jason and Gipsy have given me exceptional service....

I have had three accidents in the DR with their cars and NEVER had a horror story with them and actually they have gotten me out of a couple of jams.......

I even have totaled a Jeepeta (Overturned on the bridge going into the Casino) ... and thank the Lord no one has ever been hurt or i would still be in jail no matter how much insurance or what credit card you use until all is paid off

I have had the same with the Credit Card voucher being torn up when I pay cash and get a discount.

As far as Insurance I have been told it is a $3,000.00 deductable and that has been covered by my credit card.. every Credit Card has different requirements...

Jason has always told me NOT to pay the the other driver but let them go thru insurance and Adventure has handled this...

dgaston87
04-11-2008, 11:04 PM
I have rented cars many times in the last 5 years in the DR. Mostly from Adventure when I want the Montero, also Thrifty and also National/Alamo.

National/Alamo (use Alamo site as it is better rate, us YQ for discount code). With Alamo I always select the full collision coverage with no deductible. I have had two minor accidents while using Alamo. All you need to do is go get a police report and turn it in when you bring the car back. If you have a police report there is no hassle and you are not out any money other than the ~$18 per day.

moshy2k
04-12-2008, 12:34 AM
I have rented cars many times in the last 5 years in the DR. Mostly from Adventure when I want the Montero, also Thrifty and also National/Alamo.

National/Alamo (use Alamo site as it is better rate, us YQ for discount code). With Alamo I always select the full collision coverage with no deductible. I have had two minor accidents while using Alamo. All you need to do is go get a police report and turn it in when you bring the car back. If you have a police report there is no hassle and you are not out any money other than the ~$18 per day.

What about the other car?

psriches
04-13-2008, 08:05 PM
What about the other car?EXACTLY!!!!

I usually decline all insurance and use the coverage on my MasterCard that includes everything(no deductible) EXCEPT liability.

I believe the previous poster would be covered if he purchased the additional coverage. So the issue for him would be, what time of day is it, who witnessed, who does he call, is the office open at that time, what the Policia report says, do you carry your rental agreement/insurance info around at 3am, is it in spanish, etc.

I, on the other hand, would be all fucked up if in an accident. My car would be covered but I would have to pay for the other cars damages on the spot if POLICIA says it was my fault!

So maybe we should start thinking about liability insurance and also find out from the rental agent or someone in the know, exactly what to do if in an accident at 3am!!:eek:

ElPlomero
04-13-2008, 09:42 PM
EXACTLY!!!!

I usually decline all insurance and use the coverage on my MasterCard that includes everything(no deductible) EXCEPT liability.

I believe the previous poster would be covered if he purchased the additional coverage. So the issue for him would be, what time of day is it, who witnessed, who does he call, is the office open at that time, what the Policia report says, do you carry your rental agreement/insurance info around at 3am, is it in spanish, etc.

I, on the other hand, would be all fucked up if in an accident. My car would be covered but I would have to pay for the other cars damages on the spot if POLICIA says it was my fault!

So maybe we should start thinking about liability insurance and also find out from the rental agent or someone in the know, exactly what to do if in an accident at 3am!!:eek:

I don't think that will work too well.

The person who gets hit is not going to sign off just because you tell him you have insurance.

You will still need to pay and the insurance company, after they investigate for fraud, will repay you.

You may not have to pay for the rental car, if you have their insurance, but if it's through anyone other than them, you'll probably have to put it on your credit card.

The bottom line is, if you can't afford to spend a month there working it out, don't rent a car.

psriches
04-13-2008, 09:48 PM
The more research i do, the more i realize how crazy/lucky i've been these last 30 trips to DR. I've basically driven all around this 3rd world country on mountain roads, through the capital, campo, etc with no liability insurance. My Geico insurance which covers car rentals indicated to me that DR was an exception. They will not cover anything in DR! My mastercard just won't cover liability.

This quote was taken off the US State Department's Website in the DR section:

"Dominican law requires that a driver be taken into custody for driving under the influence or being involved in an accident that causes serious injury or death, even if the driver is insured and appears not to have been at fault. The minimum detention period is 48 hours; however, detentions frequently last until a judicial decision is reached (often weeks or months), or until a waiver is signed by the injured party (usually as the result of a cash settlement)."

psriches
04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't think that will work too well.

The person who gets hit is not going to sign off just because you tell him you have insurance.

You will still need to pay and the insurance company, after they investigate for fraud, will repay you.

You may not have to pay for the rental car, if you have their insurance, but if it's through anyone other than them, you'll probably have to put it on your credit card.

The bottom line is, if you can't afford to spend a month there working it out, don't rent a car.What post said this???:confused:

ElPlomero
04-13-2008, 09:55 PM
What post said this???:confused:

I'm talking about the proposed liability insurance.

psriches
04-13-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm talking about the proposed liability insurance.Yeah, true and false.

There have been mongers with liability who have gotten into accidents, where the 3rd party car was damaged through the monger's fault, had no problems and no money exchanged/no reimbursement deal. But i'm sure it was 1pm and the monger was able to call the rental office and an agent actually drove to the site of the accident with paperwork and spoke to the Police.

And there have been other similar situations that went the opposite way, credit card, jail, etc!

I guess one way to deal with this is just not rent a car. But for the rest of us who will continue to rent, the important question is what to do in case of an accident.

ElPlomero
04-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah, true and false.

There have been mongers with liability who have gotten into accidents, where the 3rd party car was damaged through the monger's fault, had no problems and no money exchanged/no reimbursement deal. But i'm sure it was 1pm and the monger was able to call the rental office and an agent actually drove to the site of the accident with paperwork and spoke to the Police.

And there have been other similar situations that went the opposite way, credit card, jail, etc!

I suppose my statement still applies then. If you can't afford to stay there a month waiting for the worst case scenario to be resolved, don't rent a car.

continentalmike
04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I'll continue to rent

tennessee
05-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Just rented a suv so my travel could take me around.
There was not and insuraince option given. On the back of the form it said the car company carried the insura nce. one disclaimer. Driver must not have had alcohol in the past 24 hours.

I would not drive in the DR . Common for two lane highways to be used as a three lane PLUS the motorcycles on each side of the road.

It is common for your normal US auto insurance not to cover outside of the US...just like Medical insurance.

many of the car rental agencies do not accept many credit cards.

ajax718
05-15-2008, 08:06 PM
The DR laws set it up so it is worth just driving away from an accident if you can. Let's see,
First: if you drive away from an accident there and get caught you will get sent to jail and have to pay off the other party to get out.
Second: If you stay after the accident and wait for police to clear things up you will get sent to jail and have to pay off the other party to get out.
Third: You get into an accident, drive away and don't get caught, don't go to jail, and just have to pay to get your rental car fixed.

Wow, I wonder which choice sounds the best :rolleyes:

ajax718
05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Dijinn, thank you for being honest enought to tell exactly how you got into the accident. You said at the time of the accident you were driving 125MPH down a hill and normally drive so fast from Puerta Plata to Santo Domingo in 2 1/2 hours when that trip driving normally take 4 hours???????

For all those guys on this thread hollering how this story reaffirms why they don't drive in DR because of many different reasons: Dominicans are crazy drivers, roads are bad, lights of vehicles tend to be out , etc. Lets clear this all up. No matter what country you are driving in, if you are driving 125 MPH in a area where the speed limit is half that, you are more than likely going to have an accident.

I have rented cars many times in DR, driven around all over the island, and have never got into an accident. I will continue doing so. Just always drive carefully and your odds of getting in an accident will go down

whynotme
05-15-2008, 08:51 PM
i rent a vehicle when i am on holidays because i want the freedom to move around when i want where i want and for what i want.

other than blowing out a couple of marcos tires i have never had a problem in any country

i enjoy driving and will continue to rent

i have a rental for two weeks starting this saturday when kevy and i hit cuba and will put on over 4,000 kms while visiting several cities coast to coast end to end:D

renting has its risk just like every pleasure in life does so only gamble what you can afford to loose;)

ElPlomero
05-15-2008, 10:16 PM
i rent a vehicle when i am on holidays because i want the freedom to move around when i want where i want and for what i want.

other than blowing out a couple of marcos tires i have never had a problem in any country

i enjoy driving and will continue to rent

i have a rental for two weeks starting this saturday when kevy and i hit cuba and will put on over 4,000 kms while visiting several cities coast to coast end to end:D

renting has its risk just like every pleasure in life does so only gamble what you can afford to loose;)

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. DO what makes you happy.

Just be aware of what could happen under the wrong circumstances.

Life insurance is not to help you if you die, it's a just in case thing, so your family won't be screwed, should the unlikely happen.

All I'm saying is that if you rent a car because it's cheaper than paying a cab to take you where you want to go and heaven forbid, the worst case scenario befalls you, it will make the cab fares seem insignificant by comparison.

Also, what else will you lose by being stuck in The DR ?

If you want to take the risk, I say go for it. I just want everyone to know what they are actually risking and what could happen.

MyTio
05-15-2008, 10:21 PM
I always do the taxi thing now that I think abought it what happens if they crash ?

TPdog
05-15-2008, 10:55 PM
My short story is another learned lesson...................
I was in the DR for 24 days.......yea!!! I rented a car for the whole trip and had no problem with the police as far as being on the road....I did however had a problem with kids that keyed my car because I did not give them any peso's.....I was in Monte Cristi (no reason to go there guys) In order for the credit card company to pay for the car, I needed a police report......I drove to the police station at Sosua and they basically laughed me right out of the station. They asked for 1,000 peso's and I would not pay!! I then drove to Caberete and visited the Tourists police. I have limited Spanish...thought getting better, and wanted a report....again they refused to write a report. I went and picked up my PT gf and she did what she could to interpret that I needed a report to make a claim for my credit card. None of this mattered to anyone.....She came back to the car and told me that they were going to do nothing.....I got pissed......I went back in the police station and told the captain that I wanted his name and I was going to call the US embassy......IT WORKED!!
Within 10 minutes I had a typed report to take back to the states. Cost me no peso's and I didn't purchase any additional insurance....just paid for the car with the credit card and the credit card company covers the car....AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A POLICE REPORT. When I talked to Avis rep. about this he said that a police report will take locals up to a week to have one completed, and tourists usually pay anywhere 300-1,000 peso's for a quick report......another lesson learned!!

MrHappy
05-16-2008, 06:22 AM
My short story is another learned lesson...................
I was in the DR for 24 days.......yea!!! I rented a car for the whole trip and had no problem with the police as far as being on the road....I did however had a problem with kids that keyed my car because I did not give them any peso's.....I was in Monte Cristi (no reason to go there guys) In order for the credit card company to pay for the car, I needed a police report......I drove to the police station at Sosua and they basically laughed me right out of the station. They asked for 1,000 peso's and I would not pay!! I then drove to Caberete and visited the Tourists police. I have limited Spanish...thought getting better, and wanted a report....again they refused to write a report. I went and picked up my PT gf and she did what she could to interpret that I needed a report to make a claim for my credit card. None of this mattered to anyone.....She came back to the car and told me that they were going to do nothing.....I got pissed......I went back in the police station and told the captain that I wanted his name and I was going to call the US embassy......IT WORKED!!
Within 10 minutes I had a typed report to take back to the states. Cost me no peso's and I didn't purchase any additional insurance....just paid for the car with the credit card and the credit card company covers the car....AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A POLICE REPORT. When I talked to Avis rep. about this he said that a police report will take locals up to a week to have one completed, and tourists usually pay anywhere 300-1,000 peso's for a quick report......another lesson learned!!

That's not entirely true. If you go to a police station, you need to be firm but polite and insist they type up a report.

In Santo Domingo, you don't even go to a police station, you go to the "Casa de Conductor" to report your accident. You tell them your side of the accident, they type up the report, and hand it to you there and then.

It doesn't matter where the accident occured, and there is no cost.

They take care of you quickly and professionally.

whynotme
05-16-2008, 06:57 AM
I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. DO what makes you happy.

Just be aware of what could happen under the wrong circumstances.

Life insurance is not to help you if you die, it's a just in case thing, so your family won't be screwed, should the unlikely happen.

All I'm saying is that if you rent a car because it's cheaper than paying a cab to take you where you want to go and heaven forbid, the worst case scenario befalls you, it will make the cab fares seem insignificant by comparison.

Also, what else will you lose by being stuck in The DR ?

If you want to take the risk, I say go for it. I just want everyone to know what they are actually risking and what could happen.

every one is different thats why the chicas come in differnet shapes and sizes.
different strokes for different folks.

ps; i don't rent a car cause its cheaper.............because it sure isn't:eek:
i rent a car because i want too.
whynoteh:rolleyes:

dijinn
05-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Dijinn, thank you for being honest enought to tell exactly how you got into the accident. You said at the time of the accident you were driving 125MPH down a hill and normally drive so fast from Puerta Plata to Santo Domingo in 2 1/2 hours when that trip driving normally take 4 hours???????

OK... first of all I would like to clarify a misconception here on these boards. I'm not some teenager, who just got a license and has my parents buy me a brand new M5, which I tried to take over 100MPH. Here in the US, I own an Infiniti FX45, a Honda Odyssey Minivan and an old school Porsche 356.

ONCE while I was in the DR making a trip to Santo Domingo from Puerto Plata at 10AM on a Sunday morning, on a 6 lane highway close to Santo Domingo, I wanted to see how the Honda CRV would hold up. So, when I nice flat stretch of highway opened up and I was going downhill, I opened up the CRV to see where she would top out at. I was alone on the road and hit 110-125mph for maybe a 1/4 of a mile. Then I eased off the gas.

This was outlined in this thread on ISCO: http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76965

Now... I KNOW I am NOT the only person on here who likes to "open up" a car once in awhile. I do NOT condone driving at 100+ mph for long stretches, much less doing the entire trip from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo at that speed. I am generally a very safe and alert driver.

At the time I had the accident, I was driving within the city of Puerto Plata doing MAYBE 35 mph. I do not believe reaching 125mph in the city with a Honda CRV (without aftermarket 2-stage NOS) is even possible. The cause of the accident (which I fully explained in my first post) was the fact that I glanced down at my cell phone to see what time it was, the car in front of me braked to a sudden and complete stop IN THE LEFT LANE of a 4 lane divided road, and I was unfortunate enough to hit a patch of loose gravel because some construction was taking place right at that particular spot.

I just want everyone to be clear of the facts... that's all.

Crytonb99
02-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Horrible experience man. Im jus glad noone got hurn in that accident dijinn That why whenever i'm in the Dominican Republic I hire a driver. I have known him for about 4 years now and he is the best. He knows all the hot spots all over the DR. He has been a tour guide for 25 years and he speaks English, French, German and Italian and ofcourse Spanish. The only downfall is that he does not own a vehicle but he has friends with rental companies so he has the ability to get a rental without needing a credit card. You jus pay the flat rate of maybe $50 a day for the car depending on the type of vehicle. He lives in the capital so if you go to those far away town areas you will need to pay for a room for him also in you are going to overnight there. At the end of the trip I just give him a few dollars. Usually I negotiate a price with him before I go to the DR. Anyone who is interested can PM me or e-mail me @ cliff4@hotmail.com

Dick Dawson
02-20-2010, 11:26 PM
FYI this thread is almost 2 years old.

SeaWeed
02-21-2010, 08:52 AM
mi don't recommend renting a car if you aren't familiar with the country or it's roads........
and der is nuthin worse than getting into a accident or having a problem with a car on holiday......

cheaper using taxis in Jamaica versus renting cars cause rentals are very expensive der....alot more expensive than the DR......
plus taxis and drivers in Jamaica are very reasonable........if not cheap

plus using taxis and drivers allows you to partake.........so you don't have to worry about being under the influence or being intoxiated when driving.....and killing yourself or someone else

ErikS
02-21-2010, 12:44 PM

And the author, Dijinn, has been MIA for almost as long.
He had actually bought a condo in the DR which he has abandoned (right Weyland?). If anyone knows his whereabouts (or even if he is alive), I'm sure Dominican Billy would be interested in the information.

giacomo
02-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Interesting thread, thanks for posting all. I had just gotten some info on a rental car for a 3 day trip. The rental car from Avis with the discount code available here on another thread, came out to be 270US$. This is including taxes, airport fee and all insurances that are available. According to the local Avis guy, there is no deductible on the insurance. So that is all good, but quite expensive. It is a nice Suzuki SUV and I dont think I would get anything lesser considering the road conditions. I checked with a friendly taxi driver, and he will charge me $150 for a full day of driving (anywhere). So I will actually be cheaper off taking the taxi offer for the sightseeing day, and a few local taxis as needed. I can get the taxi even cheaper by going off the beaten path, this is still a regular taxi fare.

Even if it would be more expensive, there is piece of mind and the convenience of having a driver.

Furthermore a really important comment: I have been driving for 30 years without any serious accidents, BUT any time I have been in some kind of dangerous driving situation it was when there was a cute girl in the passenger seat. (and I am not talking road head! just plain distraction or being off guard)

Just saying... do the math

papi_sosua
02-21-2010, 06:36 PM
At that price it must include a BBBJ from your friendly driver! Every other way, you are getting fucked up the ass!!

I checked with a friendly taxi driver, and he will charge me $150 for a full day of driving (anywhere).

Mr Hillbilly
02-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for contacting Adventure Rent A Car! We are glad you have choosen us for your car rental needs in the Dominican Republic.
The rate for 6 days for a Mitsubishi Lancer or Similar. is 221.45 us dollar ( taxes unlimited mileage and insurance are include on the rate mentioned)

giacomo
02-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Adventure rent a car is a lot cheaper but then you have the 90,000 deductible. Correct me if I am wrong ?

On the Taxi: how much would you give him for the day? (couple hundred of miles driving and 8 am til midnight) I know the going rate to Santiago is between 60 and 100US$ That is about 1.5 hour drive. Up and down would be double that. That is why I thought it was not a bad deal. We will be driving a lot more than that. Though admittedly I have gotten a "taxi" from Santiago to POP for about $18 once.

MrHappy
02-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Furthermore a really important comment: I have been driving for 30 years without any serious accidents, BUT any time I have been in some kind of dangerous driving situation it was when there was a cute girl in the passenger seat. (and I am not talking road head! just plain distraction or being off guard)

That's a key point. Lots of folks just plain aren't ready for the sensory overload when they hit the island.

There are girls EVERYWHERE, and lots of them are pretty good looking.

Couple that with a country where many of the drivers don't have a license, don't know how to read, no Plates, no registration, and DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE, and all it takes is looking at one girl for one second too many, and your driving into the rear end of a clunker that will want you to pay him off like he was driving a Mercedes.

I can't stress how important it is that you NEVER take your eyes off the road while your vehicle is in motion. It's a sure recipe for disaster.

Mr Hillbilly
02-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Driving in the DR is quite an experience to say the least.Most DR drivers never had any training what soever they pay 100k pesos to the person standing in front of the drivers license building and they get their license.I drive like I am carrying nitroglycerin.Lots of room in front like 500 feet and 200 behind me .If I am getting tailgated I slow down even more to let them pass.I don't swerve much either the motoconchos sneak up on both sides too pass and hide in blind spots.The worst two places I have noticed are between the Malecon and FOD where people are stopped in the road everywhere.The other deathwish place is in the mountains between Cabarete and Moca I have almost died twice in two trips.Think I will go through Puerto Plata if possible from Santiago at least you have room if someone is in your lane.

Crytonb99
02-22-2010, 08:31 AM
I personally always hire my driver whenever i'm in the DR. It gives me a sense of relaxation knowing that I can drink and really get involved however I want. He knows where all the spots are. If I happen to get a chica number and she wants me to pick her up at home I jus tell my driver and he will go for her and bring her straight for me at the hotel or where ever. I usually pay for a cabana for me and one for him whenever we are out of the capital. I dont pay no expensive hotels. If i go with a group of friends all of us chip in and pay for his room. It's cheaper if i go with a group of friends. But I honestly like the fact that this guy knows it all man. He's a smart guy too. He will even bargain with the chicas for ya.

Passport Playa
02-22-2010, 12:29 PM
I went and picked up my PT gf and she did what she could to interpret that I needed a report to make a claim for my credit card.

Reading this makes me realize that there is value to having a so-called novia.

The Mac Man

Passport Playa
02-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Does this mean that information contained in an "old thread" is not useful?:veryconfused:

The Mac Man

mudhog
04-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Because the locals are known for erratic driving, I have always made sure I was not only covered by auto insurance, but also covered by my credit cards.This is the first time I have heard of such a large deductable and this is something I will look into before my next trip.I am surprised that I wasn't covered as well as I thought. I guess that even though i rent from american companies, more attention should be paid to the fine print, thanks for the heads up Dijinn

whatever
04-12-2010, 08:45 AM
At that price it must include a BBBJ from your friendly driver! Every other way, you are getting fucked up the ass!!

Damn straight that's spendy. That taxi driver should follow
you around for a week at that rate!

Mr Hillbilly
04-12-2010, 10:44 AM
DINJIN
I rent from Adventurer also but your rate wasn't with FULL COVERAGE it was just the cheap rate it is confusing the actual dedeuctable is like 2500 dollars or 3500 dollars
Adventurerer real insurance is like another 30 bucks a day which puts it at 80 bucks cash day.