PDA

View Full Version : US$569,000 in undeclared cash

NewsWhore
05-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Rafael Alberto Luciano Corominas was arrested on Wednesday evening at Las Americas International Airport after US$569,000 in undeclared cash was discovered on board a small airplane of his property that had flown in from Aguadillas, Puerto Rico. Also arrested were Juan Jose Martin Gomez Guichardo and pilot Luis Manuel Ovalles. A civil register officer for Boca Chica, Luciano is the son of the vice president of the Supreme Court of Justice, Judge Rafael Luciano Pichardo. Luciano Pichardo said his son told him he was unaware the money was being transported on the plane. "I have to answer only to my own personal matters, not for those of my sons," he said in a press conference he called at his Supreme Court office. As reported in El Caribe, the pilot, Ovalles, took full responsibility for the money contraband.
Customs Department (DGA) Miguel Cocco said on the Nuria y Huchi en CDN radio talk show that undeclared cash is routinely confiscated at the airport, but what is unusual in this case is the amount. A US$580,000 receipt came with the cash, thus Cocco says there could be US$11,000 missing. Cocco explained that the National Department for Drug Control passed the case onto the Customs Department when no narcotics were found on the plane. Cocco explained the case will be categorized as a money contraband case.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#8)