PDA

View Full Version : ATM or Guy on the Street ???

dbros9
04-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Going to Sosua in a few weeks - where is the best place to get pesos - ATM or find a seller on the street ??

whynotme
04-28-2006, 12:32 PM
i usually use judy's
i alway bring enough cash for my entire trip and only use plastic in emergencys

gmalet
04-28-2006, 02:21 PM
I get the best rate using an ATM. It is good to have spare cash incase you lose your ATM Card or the machine is down. Otherwise Judys is good.

Dick Dawson
04-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Here's a picture of the building where Judy's is located (It doesn't say Judy's on the outside) It's located on the same street that corners Super Super.

LM
04-28-2006, 05:58 PM
I do find that the ATM gives me an incremental better rate....it's not worth talking about....the best place is Judys as Dick Dawson said...
I always bring enough cash for my trip and only use plastic for emerg. as Whynot me said...

guttaman
04-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Debit cards at the ATM give good rates. Never take a cash advance from your credit card. They fuck you big time. I also find that some credit card companies charge a 3% surcharge plus give a shitty exchange rate when used to purchase shit. I always bring more cash than needed, Use Judys cambio but also use my debit card. In a country where cash is King i like keeping extra Royalty in the safe.

Beads
04-28-2006, 06:18 PM
I generally use the cambios . If you can exchange a decent amount of cash at a time the one across the street from Baileys gave me the best rates when I made him call SDQ to get me a better exchange. Everyone else was trying to give 31.xxx to 32 max . I had him call and get me 32.6 back in February.

gdogg
04-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Super Super also gives a competitive rate. I started going there while Judy was "away".

TG37
04-29-2006, 04:10 PM
watch for the guys on the street , they have been known palm some peso on the final count!

gdogg
04-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Always count your cambio yourself before you walk away. I've never had a problem with the street guys. I didn't use them this past trip, cuz I had enough cash with me (relatively short trip). Made one stop to the ATM, which gives pesos.

ilikenyacional
04-30-2006, 03:10 PM
ATM is good to use. Only one thing, be sure to have enough cash for the weekend because a lot of ATM goes empty until Monday.

And, don't go to the ATM when the bank is closed. Only go daytime, better security and if the machine eat your card, there is people to help you. You can also withdraw cash in the bank with a credit card and your passport.