PDA

View Full Version : How to change from Canada ?

karybou
09-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Hi, Any of you canadian fellows have special tips to exchange our national currency to the DR currency without passing by the US stop ???
I heard Blackbeards were taking too much comission on exchange rate , where can I get a good deal considering I m planning to stay there ???
Peace.

MisterPink
09-19-2004, 10:53 PM
CENSORED

Don Tomas
09-19-2004, 10:58 PM
I recommend posting the question on DR1. http://www.dr1.com You will probably get replies from many Canadians in the same situation as youself.

UnMEnXTC
09-20-2004, 08:34 AM
When I was there last year, I found it was actually quite a bit better to exchange money here, from Cdn$ to U.S.$, first. Then exchange the US$ to Pesos down there!

Apos
09-20-2004, 03:40 PM
When I was there last year, I found it was actually quite a bit better to exchange money here, from Cdn$ to U.S.$, first. Then exchange the US$ to Pesos down there!

That's what I did, as recommended on DR1 and by Marco from Rocky's (a Canadian expat). Do the math yourself but because the USD is so in demand on the island it is worth much more than the equivilant in CAD.

Whatever you do DO NOT exchange for pesos in Canada, you'll get about half of what you'll get from Mapeo on the beach or Judy's.

WSJ3
09-20-2004, 05:55 PM

That's what I did, as recommended on DR1 and by Marco from Rocky's (a Canadian expat). Do the math yourself but because the USD is so in demand on the island it is worth much more than the equivilant in CAD.

Whatever you do DO NOT exchange for pesos in Canada, you'll get about half of what you'll get from Mapeo on the beach or Judy's.

That's what I have been reading and hearing from the senior mongers like JimmyDR.

Its best to wait and change the money in DR at Judy's.

gdogg
09-20-2004, 07:24 PM

That's what I have been reading and hearing from the senior mongers like JimmyDR. Its best to wait and change the money in DR at Judy's.

Depending on how much you're trying to exchange, Super Super will match the highest going rate. The manager did that for me while I was there. I was only trying to change $100 US, so it may make a difference.

WSJ3
09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Depending on how much you're trying to exchange, Super Super will match the highest going rate. The manager did that for me while I was there. I was only trying to change $100 US, so it may make a difference.

I was going to look into changing money here in the US before I left just to comparison shop.

MisterPink
09-21-2004, 03:10 PM
CENSORED

WSJ3
09-21-2004, 03:15 PM
You can buy pesos in Washington Heights for a slight premium.
American Express pays 20% below the going rate.
Why bother?

OK Lechero

Where in Washington Heights can I buy pesos?

I will take any excuse to go to little DR.

BrooklynBeas
09-22-2004, 08:23 AM
I thought that was a joke... It may be true though... Beas loves driving through Washington Heights with my Frank Reyes Cd blasting on my car system