PDA

View Full Version : Politur defends the DR

Pana
06-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Tourism Police (POLITUR) Chief Manuel de Jesus Miranda is challenging a recent travel warning issued to US travelers to the DR. In its page on the DR, the US Department of State warns US citizens to "be aware that foreign tourists are often considered attractive targets for criminal activity, and should maintain a low profile to avoid becoming victims of violence or crime. In dealing with local police, US citizens should be aware that the standard of professionalism might vary. Police attempts to solicit bribes have been reported, as have incidents of police using excessive force."
The US government warning continues: "The dangers present in the Dominican Republic, even in resort areas, are similar to those of many major US cities. Expensive jewelry attracts attention and could prompt a robbery attempt. Limiting the cash and credit cards carried on your person and storing valuables, wallet items, and passports in a safe place is recommended."
Jesus Miranda says that tourism destinations are safe for people of all nationalities. His comments were backed up by National Police Chief Rafael Guillermo Guzman Fermin who said that crime in the DR has been reduced significantly. Guzman said that the DR is among the safest countries in Latin America, and added that news might create the perception of increased crime but this doesn't reflect the reality of the situation.
http://dr1.com/index.html#14
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html

From my expericence in the DR you more likely being extored by the police/military than robbed in the by a thug in DR, I spent 2 months there years ago traveling around the DR and you have to worry about the police/military especially if they set up a check point stoping cars......lucky me I speak spanish and Im of Panamanian decent and I played that we are Latino brothers role and Im not a gringo with those cock suckers :rolleyes2:.

Inconego
06-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Tourism Police (POLITUR) Chief Manuel de Jesus Miranda is challenging a recent travel warning issued to US travelers to the DR. In its page on the DR, the US Department of State warns US citizens to "be aware that foreign tourists are often considered attractive targets for criminal activity, and should maintain a low profile to avoid becoming victims of violence or crime. In dealing with local police, US citizens should be aware that the standard of professionalism might vary. Police attempts to solicit bribes have been reported, as have incidents of police using excessive force."
The US government warning continues: "The dangers present in the Dominican Republic, even in resort areas, are similar to those of many major US cities. Expensive jewelry attracts attention and could prompt a robbery attempt. Limiting the cash and credit cards carried on your person and storing valuables, wallet items, and passports in a safe place is recommended."
Jesus Miranda says that tourism destinations are safe for people of all nationalities. His comments were backed up by National Police Chief Rafael Guillermo Guzman Fermin who said that crime in the DR has been reduced significantly. Guzman said that the DR is among the safest countries in Latin America, and added that news might create the perception of increased crime but this doesn't reflect the reality of the situation.
http://dr1.com/index.html#14
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html

From my expericence in the DR you more likely being extored by the police/military than robbed in the by a thug in DR, I spent 2 months there years ago traveling around the DR and you have to worry about the police/military especially if they set up a check point stoping cars......lucky me I speak spanish and Im of Panamanian decent and I played that we are Latino brothers role and Im not a gringo with those cock suckers :rolleyes2:.

Whenever I hear the name Fermin, i'm usuallty weary of what that cop has to say...

El Capitan
06-18-2008, 03:29 PM
The only difference between the cops and the thugs in the DR is the uniforms...

Berzin
06-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Me and some friends got stopped at one of those roadblocks set up by the cops in Santo Domingo once.

I was sitting in the back trying to keep my composure, but it was difficult.

When the cop asked my friend for whatever it is they ask for he began fumbling for his paperwork.

The street was crowded with cars and we were holding everyone up.

The more the cop talked the more my friend fumbled until it looked like confetti flying around as the clock strikes midnight on New Years.

The cop got so flustered that he just let us go.

My friend did this on purpose of course, and I knew it the second he started the whole routine-he wasn't going to pay the cop a dime and just wanted to clown him.

We couldn't stop laughing all the way up to La Vega.

MrHappy
06-19-2008, 05:52 AM
Whenever a cop stops me, the first thing I say is,"I don't have any money'
especially when I see it's for a shakedown.

With AMET, it's another story.