PDA

View Full Version : Federer - Nadal

JuanElGriego
07-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I don't know if there's (m)any tennis fans here but that match today was something incredible.

The two best, two of the all-time best, and two great guys going toe-to-toe for a match no one wanted to see end.

I'm partial to Federer but everyone in the tennis world was a winner today after the show these two put on. :iconTU:

Juggles
07-07-2008, 12:15 AM
What made this match so significant is that Nadal won the match of Federer's favorite court/surface (Wimbledon/Grass). Federer's game, is tailored to the grass of Wimbledon, a Sampras-esque style of serve and volley, quick points on the very fast grass surface. While Nadal is a baseliner who thrives on the slow surface of clay, and as such has dominated the French Open for years.

It was only a matter of time before one of the two won on the other's court of choice. HOwever, if I had to put money on it, it would have been on Federer to break Nadal's streak on clay.

Federer is THE sickest tennis player I have seen in my lifetime, however, it was nearly impossible to continue his pace- being the worlds best for 231 consecutive weeks. His game is nearly without flaws, but time catches up to all of us, and we MAY have seen the changing of the guard.

PapiQueRico
07-07-2008, 12:43 AM
I just heard a Nadal interview in Spanish. Siht, it's more different than Latin American Spanish than I thought.

Juggles
07-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Big Difference is that they use the Vosotros tense, frequently. It's pretty much only spoken in Spain, in Latin America they prefer Ustedes, as the second person plural tense.

It is very different trying to understand and conjugate in the vosotros tense.

weyland
07-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Big difference is that they use the Vosotros person, frequently. It's pretty much only spoken in Spain, in Latin America they prefer Ustedes, as the second person plural.

It is very different trying to understand and conjugate using the vosotros person.
Small corrections to your post.

When Spanish is taught in US schools and colleges, do they usually teach "vosotros"? (Of course it is taught in UK and other European classrooms). Do American educators take the view that Castellano is the "correct" Spanish and should be taught, or the more practical view that Latin American Spanish is spoken by nine times as many people, so that should be taught instead? (Leaving aside the fact that are several versions of Latin American Spanish, and Dominican Spanish must be one of the most "corrupted" of them).

PapiQueRico
07-07-2008, 08:14 AM

When Spanish is taught in US schools and colleges, do they usually teach "vosotros"? (Of course it is taught in UK and other European classrooms). Do American educators take the view that Castellano is the "correct" Spanish and should be taught, or the more practical view that Latin American Spanish is spoken by nine times as many people, so that should be taught instead? (Leaving aside the fact that are several versions of Latin American Spanish, and Dominican Spanish must be one of the most "corrupted" of them).

I remember them mentioning "vosotros" but not really teaching it. It was kind of treated like thee or thou in English. Of course these classes were when I was 12 or 13 so the memory is foggy at best.

TPdog
07-07-2008, 08:59 AM
These two guys are class acts!!! I was glued to my seat for every shot.
Probably the best tennis match of all time. The post interview with Mac
put it in perspective............this match will go on for years....

brovo35
07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
For those that may have missed this great match it has already been dubbed a classic and is playing on ESPN Classic tonight.

Inconego
07-07-2008, 01:31 PM

Never took Spanish in school here in states, but they usually teach Mexican style spanish, so is that called Central American spanish?

Dick Dawson
07-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I remember "Vosotros" being taught but the teachers saying that it wasn't widely used. Maybe in Argentina?

gdogg
07-08-2008, 12:40 AM
I don't know if there's (m)any tennis fans here but that match today was something incredible.

The two best, two of the all-time best, and two great guys going toe-to-toe for a match no one wanted to see end.

I'm partial to Federer but everyone in the tennis world was a winner today after the show these two put on. :iconTU:

Dude!!

I've been watching Wimbledon finals since Bjorn Borg beat Roscoe Tanner. That had to be around 1979. That's when I started to play tennis. Then there was the 18-16 tie-break between Borg and McEnroe. For most of my childhood/teen years, everything was all about tennis. I actually got kinda good. I won a few trophies and actually got a partial scholarship to college for tennis.

I say that to say this. I've seen millions of matches in my life, and that final yesterday was the GREATEST MATCH I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY EXISTENCE!! Normally I read through at least most of the responses in a thread before I reply, but I had to respond to this thread immediatedly. Even if later posts show that someone threw the match, or someone is on dope, it doesn't matter. That shit was the bomb!!! I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but John McEnroe started to break into tears when he was talking to Federer afterwards. He ended the interview because Federer got emotional, but Johnny Mac was breaking up as well.

Even if you had a minimal interest in tennis (like I've had in recent years), that was one anyone would have appreciated!
:)

gdogg
07-08-2008, 12:44 AM
What made this match so significant is that Nadal won the match of Federer's favorite court/surface (Wimbledon/Grass). Federer's game, is tailored to the grass of Wimbledon, a Sampras-esque serve and volley, quick points on the very fast grass surface. While Nadal is a baseliner who thrives on the slow surface of clay, and as such has dominated the French Open for years.

It was only a matter of time before one of the two won on the other's court of choice. HOwever, if I had to put money on it, it would have been on Federer to break Nadal's streak on clay.

Federer is THE sickest tennis player I have seen in my lifetime, however, it was nearly impossible to continue on the pace he had set- being the worlds best for 231 consecutive weeks. His game is nearly without flaws, but time catches up to all of us, and we MAY have seen the passing of the guard.

Federer's not through yet. I think he will easily surpass (the lame) Sampras' total Grand Slam total, but (like you) I think his top ranking is in big time jeopardy. The U.S. Open should be very interesting.

Juggles
08-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Looks like the end of Federer's run as the WOrld's Number 1.

Losing to a 16th seed on a hard surface, is not a good look. Let's hope that he can keep it together and give tennis fans another run at Nadal and recapture the top spot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7536417.stm

alexw
08-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Looks like the end of Federer's run as the WOrld's Number 1.

Losing to a 16th seed on a hard surface, is not a good look. Let's hope that he can keep it together and give tennis fans another run at Nadal and recapture the top spot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7536417.stm

it seems like his head isnt in the game anymore. Hes making unforced errrors in this past year that were always winners. Maybe hes having women problems. But he isnt the same mentally right now.