PDA

View Full Version : ATM's

BadBoyBilly
09-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Some help from all you "learned" gentlemen please.

I am travelling to DR from Australia for my first visit Oct 7 to 12.

How secure are the ATM's in Sosua? I always use ATM's around the world.

I am really surprised that there are so many posts on this site regarding exchanging US$'s for DR Pesos in Sosua - I just cannot get my head around this - how can this exchange rate be better than secure, reputeable ATM's - or do these things not exist in DR.

If I exchange A$'s for US$'s and then into DR Pesos I cannot see how I can 'win' with all these transactions - there just has to be commissions in each transaction.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Don Tomas
09-30-2004, 01:12 AM
remember the grande cerveza :D

Using Cash

Maybe someone there right now can chime in but I have never noticed a posted rate for Australian Dollars in any cambio. Banco Central doesn't have a rate for it either.

http://www.bancentral.gov.do/estadisticas.asp?a=Mercado_Cambiario

Even just using Yahoo's numbers as a control you will gain RD$34 for each AUD$100 you convert if you convert it into US$ first. Again there would be the problem of finding a place to take AUD$ but if you could here is the difference.

Yahoo Rates
Rate RD-US: 33.5-1 (expect this to drop)
Rate RD-AUD: 23.99
Rate AUD-US: 0.7164

Exchange AUD$100
Total Pesos AUD-RD: 2399
Total Pesos AUD-US-RD: 2433.44

Using ATMs
Tourists and mongers use them daily just follow some rules:

1. Use them during the day only.
2. Use only bank ATMs connected to the bank.
3. Check the ATM first, any gaps or broken panels around it, move on to the next one. Someone could be tapping the phone line!

As for the rate, if you have a no fee card then the rates are better then the street sometimes. DR1 has an ATM rate thread too and one guy normally posts 1-2 points above the street rate.

BrooklynBeas
09-30-2004, 08:16 AM
Beas carries his ATM card with him to DR but always has enough cash on him for his whole trip... this trip coming up is 8 nights 9 days and i will have about $1500 on me... dont try to stick me up Don T... as soon as I get where im going it goes in the safe and I keep about $100-$150 on me... but thats converted to pesos

UnMEnXTC
09-30-2004, 08:45 AM
After reading some of the reports about ATM problems, can ayone tell me where there might be a "safe" ATM in Cabarete?

(Arriving at 10:30 at night - prob. midnight by the tim eI get to Cabarete, check in, then need a taxi back to party in Sosua but - need to get money en-route).

Thanks

Jimmydr
09-30-2004, 09:53 AM
After reading some of the reports about ATM problems, can ayone tell me where there might be a "safe" ATM in Cabarete?

(Arriving at 10:30 at night - prob. midnight by the tim eI get to Cabarete, check in, then need a taxi back to party in Sosua but - need to get money en-route).

Thanks

I have used them all and never had a problem ever.

UnMEnXTC
09-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Thanks Jim,

I have used a couple in POP and never had a prob, but did read about some scams being run by some less that honourable locals in Sosua.

Are they easy to find in Cabarete?

Twohands
09-30-2004, 10:56 AM

Thanks

I have used them all and never had a problem ever.

Unfortunately on my last trip down in July, I got hit at the Banco Popular for $3,200.00 US! The fucked up thing about it was I didn't even know I'd been robbed until a month after I got back when I checked my balance before a trip to Paris and saw 22 withdrawals - one day the fuckers used an ATM 10 times!! :shock:

So learn from my mistake mi amigo, be aware of ATMs with swipers, 'cause apparently someone copied my debit card and went crazy in Santo Domingo the moment I used it in Sosua.

Thank God Chase gave me my money back. But it was a headache I didn't need, that's for damn sure...
I'm going back, but I'll NEVER EVER use an ATM there again.

WSJ3
09-30-2004, 11:04 AM
I always use ATM and never had a problem.

There are always people and guards with shotguns in the area.

Just be aware of your surroundings and be smart. Don't flash your cash.

Jimmydr
09-30-2004, 11:04 AM
First thing I do is call credit card companies and tell them where in DR I will be then I put a limit on my charges. Its a pain but its added security for me.

WSJ3
09-30-2004, 11:13 AM
First thing I do is call credit card companies and tell them where in DR I will be then I put a limit on my charges. Its a pain but its added security for me.

To avoid the credit card issue I only use one and most of the time I will leave it in the safe in my room.

I keep all receipts and burn the carbons...

Remember the learned criminal can use credit card carbons to clone your card and charge you up the wazoo.

Twohands
09-30-2004, 11:35 AM

To avoid the credit card issue I only use one and most of the time I will leave it in the safe in my room.

I keep all receipts and burn the carbons...

Remember the learned criminal can use credit card carbons to clone your card and charge you up the wazoo.

Yeah, I got that part down to a science. :roll:
I ALWAYS leave cards locked in my safe along with my passport, etc.

I only take the ATM card outside when I'm taking cash from an ATM and then it's promptly returned.

I've heard the horror stories about carbon copies, and I don't wanna get burned again, so I'll stick to cash only in Novembre... :wink:

Good point on calling ahead with the credit card companies, the only problem is I travel quite a bit and would hate to be limited financially when overseas...

Babyboy31
09-30-2004, 12:26 PM
I found ATMs to be safe. I have had one experience where the ATM ate my card late one night and I the next morning I went to the bank and they were able to pick up the card and return it to me the day after with no incidnet. I should of cancelled the card but I didn't and everything worked out in the end.

BadBoyBilly
09-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Ok so looks like the golden rules are:

1. Only use ATM's at or inside a bank.

2. Only use ATM's where there is a guard standing with a shotgun.

3. Only use ATM's during working hours.

4. Lock card and ALL receipts in safe after use.

5. Spend cash withdrawn on as much black pussy as you can in a short time so as to require repeating ALL above points which will automatically lead to formation of good and safe habits.

Hmmm..............works for me.

El Drunko
09-30-2004, 08:36 PM
Billy, having traveled quite a bit internationally myself. Id like to make a sudjestion to you. Before you even leave home, like 2 weeks ahead of time. Go to YOUR own bank. Order some US dollars. The AU Dollar might be a bit hard to convert to pesos. The Power goes out alot in the DR. Obviously when the power goes out the ATM's don`t work. It would really suck not to be able to convert some kind of cash to pesos.

Another point, Most machines down there will limit how much you take out at one time. To get around this I just stick my card in again and again untill I get the amout that I want. I can`t go over my daily limit in US cash, but with the conversion rate, I can still take out the equivelent of $500 per day.

gdogg
10-01-2004, 08:31 AM
No problems with ATM's for me. I always used them during the daytime.

Jimmydr
10-28-2004, 11:19 AM
I used 4 different machines in Sosua and got my money every time.

Reel Deal
10-28-2004, 11:36 AM
It's ironic.

In the US, girls use guys as walking ATM's... :twisted:

continentalmike
10-28-2004, 12:50 PM
It's ironic.

In the US, girls use guys as wakling ATM's... :twisted:

RD, why add "in the US" :wink:

Reel Deal
10-28-2004, 12:56 PM
It's ironic.

In the US, girls use guys as walking ATM's... :twisted:

RD, why add "in the US" :wink:I stand corrected.

Ahem...

"girls use guys as walking ATM's..." :twisted:

continentalmike
10-28-2004, 12:57 PM
It's ironic.

In the US, girls use guys as wakling ATM's... :twisted:

RD, why add "in the US" :wink:I stand corrected.

Ahem...

"girls use guys as wakling ATM's..." :twisted:

Exactly! And as anyone know wakling is the term for weakling and walking combined 8)