PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak cause fear and complaints

NewsWhore
08-11-2008, 05:50 PM
The leak in the pipeline that supplies the Falcondo ferronickel mine in La Peguera, Monsignor Nouel, as of 11:30am on Friday caused 12 persons to seek medical assistance and 31 persons to be evacuated from the area. Heavy equipment from the company worked over the weekend to clean up the estimated 1,000 gallon spill that occurred near Kilometer 61 of the Duarte Highway. The persons affected were taken to nearby hospitals and medical facilities in Piedra Blanca. Most of those affected complained of nausea, dizziness and vision problems due to the contamination from the spill. Civil Defense workers, Army units, the La Vega Fire Department and Environmental Police from Piedra Blanca and Bonao acted in the case.
Falcondo (former Falconbridge) has announced that it will begin changing the pipeline that ruptured near Piedra Blanca on Friday this week. The company said work would begin on Monday (today) at the site in the community of the Quinto Centenario in Piedra Blanca. The last of the contaminated earth was removed from the site yesterday, and will be deposited at a biodegradation site operated by the nickel mine. The Falcondo spokesperson, Luis Rosado, told Hoy's Aleida Plasencia, that a brigade of workers would begin replacing about 150 meters of pipeline. The company would also be sending samples of the spill to international agencies for its analysis.
Pedro Feder, the engineer who is directing the clean up, said that those affected would receive help. The engineer said that the company had been carrying out maintenance in the area but that the work had been suspended due to concerns on the ground where the pipeline sections were buried. He said that things were not worse because the company was not pumping oil at the time of the break. The 72-kilometer pipeline from the Port of Haina supplies the refinery at the mine in Bonao.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#8)