PDA

View Full Version : Living in Santo Domingo

jd_mine
10-09-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm in the software development department of a major telcom. Quality assurance side of it. Middle management.
I do think I could live in DR, if just for the weather alone. Lots better than shitty always raining Holland.
Now if I could just get my spanish up to a business level and get myself transferred to DR................yes my telcom is active in DR. When I tell the girls they always seem to think I work in a shop. They can't comprehense there must be something bigger behind all these little shops to make it actually function....
How would Santo Domingo be to live??? Lots different than the North Coast??

Jimmydr
10-09-2004, 10:28 AM
How would Santo Domingo be to live??? Lots different than the North Coast??

High rise Hotels, shopping malls, multiplex movies. Its a real city! :shock:

jd_mine
10-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I know, even Santiago was a real city compared to Sosua and even Puerto Plata.
But in regards to lifestyle, girls etc. How does it compare to living in Sosua. I mean with a REAL job, not living like those expats in Sosua, who all claim to be millionaires, but don't have a peso....

WSJ3
10-09-2004, 12:04 PM
I have alot of free time on my hands...

Hence the plethora of naked "provider" pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/wsj3/RemyTeabaggingme.jpg

RearWindow
10-10-2004, 04:09 AM
I think you could make a go of it, but I would certainly visit often before you move, for WEEKS at a time, not days, AND search out the expats just to get the non-lala land vision of what IS a third world country at times. I am all but convinced that I will retire there,perhaps sooner than later, but I too will give it the time test.

Most of the girls have no idea what we do even if we spell it out for them ( short of being gas station attendants,waiters or sankies) so tell'em you own the Montreal Expos (they'll think yer rich, and if they can read a map, they'll never want to go there).

JimmyDR is the oracle on this subject.
I been afforded the opportunity to learn a wealth of knowledge just recently from a group of expats who decided I was ok and have taken me under their wings now.The info one can get from these trailblazers is invaluable, so I would suggest searching them out, as they are what we hope to be.(assuming they're not drunks, etc)

jd_mine
10-10-2004, 07:08 AM
I wasn't talking about moving permanently yet. That would be a real big step. I'm more thinking about getting transferred for my job for up to a year doing some consulting. That way I would be protected by a big international taking care of housing etc. and ofcourse I would draw a real, western salary. Drawback is that those offices will ofcourse be situated in Santo Domingo and I know nothing about Santo Domingo. Hence the question how that would compare to the North Coast, where I have been a lot.
I find you don't have to ly about your job, since they all think we're rich anyway. They always seem to think that when you have a bank account and can take money out of the ATM, that that supply is endless and will go on forever.........

cremaconpalo
10-10-2004, 08:52 AM
I'd think of it as a "year-long vacation" where you don't have to be concerned about earning a decent (western) income, and you don't have to pay to get on an airplane to get at reasonably-priced A-1 pussy. The rest is fluff. I believe I'd give my left nut for an oppurtunity like that! Congratulations!

jd_mine
10-10-2004, 09:01 AM
The opportunity is not there yet, but the possibility is.
I think I'd need to get my Spanish improved. Right now I'm at the level where I can talk to (non)pro's, cab drivers etc. I'm not at a business level yet....

Jimmydr
10-10-2004, 10:34 AM
I'd think of it as a "year-long vacation" where you don't have to be concerned about earning a decent (western) income, and you don't have to pay to get on an airplane to get at reasonably-priced A-1 pussy. The rest is fluff. I believe I'd give my left nut for an oppurtunity like that! Congratulations!

My goal is 12-14 days a month every month.

RearWindow
10-10-2004, 12:02 PM
They always seem to think that when you have a bank account and can take money out of the ATM, that that supply is endless and will go on forever.........

Wait a minute... it's NOT endless? :shock: Shit! So much for my retirement plans.... :cry:

Jimmydr
10-10-2004, 12:03 PM
They always seem to think that when you have a bank account and can take money out of the ATM, that that supply is endless and will go on forever.........

Wait a minute... it's NOT endless? :shock: Shit! So much for my retirement plans.... :cry:

Endless for them. :D

prtyr2
11-10-2004, 10:35 PM
I lived in santo domingo for 2 years. I prefer SD over north coast just because of convenience etc. I like having a city nearby. I like big supermarkets, chain restaurants like Fridays, Outback, and Tony Romas. I like having a large choice of non mongering things to do.

If you can get a xfer, I highly recommend it. You will quickly lean more towards just meeting chicas rather than mongering. You will be flirted with daily, and have plenty of oppurtunities. I am planning to move back down ASAP. If you head to santo domingo, drop me a message and I'll be glad to show you around!

BigTrick
11-10-2004, 11:31 PM
I wasn't talking about moving permanently yet. That would be a real big step. I'm more thinking about getting transferred for my job for up to a year doing some consulting. That way I would be protected by a big international taking care of housing etc. and ofcourse I would draw a real, western salary. Drawback is that those offices will ofcourse be situated in Santo Domingo and I know nothing about Santo Domingo. Hence the question how that would compare to the North Coast, where I have been a lot.
I find you don't have to ly about your job, since they all think we're rich anyway. They always seem to think that when you have a bank account and can take money out of the ATM, that that supply is endless and will go on forever.........

JD you read my mind. I'm a network engineer for a major Telco. I'm thinking doing a year in the DR or somewhere else just to get a change of pace and to experience a different culture. And I love Latin women. Their mentality is different from American women.

My company just sold its Latin America division. Any openings for Network Engineers in your company’s Latin America division?

WSJ3
11-11-2004, 01:00 PM
BigTrick is angling for the year round chica action in DR...

Big Pimpin Dirty South Style.

LOL.

BigTrick
11-11-2004, 01:59 PM
BigTrick is angling for the year round chica action in DR...

Big Pimpin Dirty South Style.

LOL.

I see it like this.......I'm 30 yr old college grad, no wife, no kids. I make a good salary and maintain a good lifestyle. If I can make a decent salary in the DR and maintain a good lifestyle there, why not go for a year or two. Maybe even Japan or Europe. If I don't like it, I can always come back home, pick up where I left off.

WSJ3
11-11-2004, 02:03 PM
That is the right attitude to have BigTrick.

I am 4 classes away from finishing up my 3 degree...after that I am thinking about coming down to the ATL use my veteran benefits and buy a house.

Then it will be the freak train 24/7, and if the ladies in the ATL aren't vibing to my rap then its back to DR.

jd_mine
11-11-2004, 02:52 PM
My company just sold its Latin America division. Any openings for Network Engineers in your company’s Latin America division?

Hey Big Trick, I met you at the Flamingo one night when I was with Continental Mike.
I just started at this current Telcom (hint: they have a color in their name :-) ), so I don't know yet what they're looking for in DR.
Funny sidenote: got myself a nice new smart phone from them with unlimited calling. So I decided to send some text messages to my girl over there. Got them all back undelivered. Turns out we have blocked Orange Dominicana for sending lots of bulk messages, so I can't receive or send any text messages there.
Nice thing to do to your sister company :-)

WSJ3
11-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Spam takes up a ton of bandwidth...

It is understandable.

jd_mine
11-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Fuck understanding.....
Now I still have to pay for my text messages ! :-)

WSJ3
11-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Sorry...

You can always switch plans...

Get IN with Verizon.

BigTrick
11-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Sorry...

Get IN with Verizon.

Verizon is my cellular provider. They have the entire Caribbean’s blocked. I can't dial 809 nor any other Caribbean area code. They say it's a high fraud rate there.

I'm thinking of switching to Cingular. I would be able dial the DR but not for free. Plus I get a discount because they are affiliated with my job.

BigTrick
11-11-2004, 03:52 PM

Hey Big Trick, I met you at the Flamingo one night when I was with Continental Mike.
I just started at this current Telcom (hint: they have a color in their name :-) ), so I don't know yet what they're looking for in DR.
Funny sidenote: got myself a nice new smart phone from them with unlimited calling. So I decided to send some text messages to my girl over there. Got them all back undelivered. Turns out we have blocked Orange Dominicana for sending lots of bulk messages, so I can't receive or send any text messages there.
Nice thing to do to your sister company :-)

Hey Bro. I remember you from Flamingo. Most of that night was a blur but I think we had a pretty good time LOL. Keep me posted on the jobs at your company. Do they have a job listing anywhere?

WSJ3
11-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Sorry...

Get IN with Verizon.

Verizon is my cellular provider. They have the entire Caribbean’s blocked. I can't dial 809 nor any other Caribbean area code. They say it's a high fraud rate there.

I'm thinking of switching to Cingular. I would be able dial the DR but not for free. Plus I get a discount because they are affiliated with my job.

Just use a phone card like I do with my verizon wireless cell phone. Its cheaper and you can monitor your spending.

D_W_
11-11-2004, 04:55 PM
This is what I use...it's a virtual card

www.multiphone.net

BigTrick
11-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Sorry...

Get IN with Verizon.

Just use a phone card like I do with my verizon wireless cell phone. Its cheaper and you can monitor your spending.

I tried that once. I purchased a 100 minute card but it only gave me 15 minutes to the DR. Which came out to be almost .50 cents a minute.

BigTrick
11-11-2004, 05:11 PM
This is what I use...it's a virtual card

www.multiphone.net

Thanks......I'm creating an account and will give this a try. To bad you can't get any credits for a referral.

I like this service but they charged me FL sales tax. They should not do that since I don't live in FL. Tried to complain to customer service no help there so O well

D_W_
11-11-2004, 05:30 PM
I like this service but they charged me FL sales tax. They should not do that since I don't live in FL. Tried to complain to customer service no help there so O well

Oh yeah, that's new. A friend of mine knows these folks. They're actually out of Venezuela. They're retarded...I tried telling them that they do not have to charge FL tax if it's being purchased in a state that they do not have an entity.

Regardless, it's not bad...if you register your ph # you don't have to remember any pins...just call the local dial up # and call away.

I've used them for years. I hope it works out for you Big T.

gdogg
11-11-2004, 10:04 PM

I am 4 classes away from finishing up my 3 degree...after that I am thinking about coming down to the ATL use my veteran benefits and buy a house.

Then it will be the freak train 24/7, and if the ladies in the ATL aren't vibing to my rap then its back to DR.

You'll do well here, Sam. The houses are spacious yet cheap (especially by New York standards). The only problem is that Atlanta is soooo spread out. I'm sure you won't mind that though. I used VA to get my house. You already know about the women.
:twisted:

BigTrick
11-11-2004, 11:07 PM

You'll do well here, Sam. The houses are spacious yet cheap (especially by New York standards). The only problem is that Atlanta is soooo spread out. I'm sure you won't mind that though. I used VA to get my house. You already know about the women.

You will definitely need a car. I know a lot of New Yorkers don't have cars. Our transit system sucks cause it doesn't go to most of the suburbs. People don't want it cause they think it will bring crime.

A lot of beautiful, super tight women but not as diverse as NYC pretty much all we have is black and white to choose from. Also a lot of Latinas (Mexicans) but most aren’t quite hip on how to dress and look kinda homely

WSJ3
11-12-2004, 07:48 AM
Thanks to my dirty south brothers...

I will probably just chill with a Georgia Peach between my DR and Brazil trips.

LOL.

And I think I will finally be able to get gdogg to take me to an ATL underground spot where I can get a dirty south VIP.

I want it to be just like a Ludacris video cuz.

gdogg
11-12-2004, 08:14 AM

LOL.

And I think I will finally be able to get gdogg to take me to an ATL underground spot where I can get a dirty south VIP.

Just let me know when you plan to arrive. I know just the spots to take you!

WSJ3
11-12-2004, 09:51 AM

LOL.

After my January 05 trip I will make the trip to the dirty south...probably for my birthday around March 3rd.

gdogg
11-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Uh...I think I may be in Sosua then. That's my spring break. I'll check the schedule and get back with you.

WSJ3
11-12-2004, 10:45 AM
No problem gdogg we can coordinate schedules as the date approaches.

Spring break in DR doesn't sound like a bad idea.

LOL.

gdogg
11-12-2004, 10:53 AM
I made those reservations before I left in August. JimmyDr style!
8)

WSJ3
11-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Damn you really are looking forward to the trip...that is definitely paying for it in advance.

LOL.

BrooklynBeas
11-12-2004, 12:13 PM
trip #28 for me - Nov 19 2008- Nov 27 2008 :wink:

Booked last night.... :shock:

Just kiddin :D

BigTrick
11-12-2004, 12:19 PM

LOL.

After my January 05 trip I will make the trip to the dirty south...probably for my birthday around March 3rd.

My birthday March 7. Make sure you look me up too. I will be partying all that week

PISCES IN THE HOUSE!

BrooklynBeas
11-12-2004, 12:20 PM
my boys bday is March 11... we might be down there as well... looks like a convention is getting set for March....

WSJ3
11-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Scorpio and Pisces the 2 freaky signs of the zodiac.

BrooklynBeas
11-12-2004, 12:25 PM

Are you coming on to me?

WSJ3
11-12-2004, 12:27 PM

Are you coming on to me?

YES I AM...

LOL.

Don Tomas
11-12-2004, 12:32 PM

Again just remember who is KING! 8)

gdogg
11-12-2004, 07:48 PM

LOL.

My birthday March 7. Make sure you look me up too. I will be partying all that week

PISCES IN THE HOUSE!

BigTrick, you should bring your party to the DR!! It's funny that we probably live two blocks away from each other, but will meet for the first time on foreign soil! I forgot, this is Atlanta. We probably live 30 miles apart.

gdogg
11-12-2004, 07:49 PM
my boys bday is March 11... we might be down there as well... looks like a convention is getting set for March....

Come on down, Beas. I know you'll still want to collect on your birthday present!!

BrooklynBeas
11-15-2004, 08:54 AM

Come on down, Beas. I know you'll still want to collect on your birthday present!!

Shit... i almost forgot that shit... Ill see what i can do... Most likely March will be my next trip after this coming Friday's trip...

David Smash
01-30-2005, 11:13 PM
Hey people first off great site. It was a HUGE help to me when I went down to DR a few weeks ago I probably saw some of you in the Blue Dolphin (or the Joker's Lounge or whatever it is called) Anyway I want to know about Santo Domingo. See I'm kinda looking for a notputa novia out there, I went to Amigos.com and hooked up with one. I want to know what is it like out there? I know it is a big city but just in case things don't work out, how is the mongering out there? I was in Sousa and loved it. What is the chica rate on a scale of 1-10? And does Caribe Tour Bus take you to Sousa? I would love to see my people out in the North when I go back

RSMMAN
02-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Jimmydr do you know of any problem getting out of the SDQ airport
throught customs can you slip them some money to get throught without bag check like you can at POP airport ????? :roll: :roll:

el_papi_chew_low
02-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Hey people first off great site. It was a HUGE help to me when I went down to DR a few weeks ago I probably saw some of you in the Blue Dolphin (or the Joker's Lounge or whatever it is called) Anyway I want to know about Santo Domingo. See I'm kinda looking for a notputa novia out there, I went to Amigos.com and hooked up with one. I want to know what is it like out there? I know it is a big city but just in case things don't work out, how is the mongering out there? I was in Sousa and loved it. What is the chica rate on a scale of 1-10? And does Caribe Tour Bus take you to Sousa? I would love to see my people out in the North when I go back

Santo Domingo has a big puta scene, especially around El Malecon and El Conde. Also, Boca Chica is 30 minutes from Santo Domingo and is very similar to Sosua but probably with more chica rotation because it is close to the capitol. If you are on that side might make more sense to do Santo Domingo and Boca Chica.

Don Tomas
02-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Jimmydr do you know of any problem getting out of the SDQ airport
throught customs can you slip them some money to get throught without bag check like you can at POP airport ????? :roll: :roll:

I walked right through in Dec at SDQ. Of course the PN got me in the parking lot while I was getting the rental car. I had pesos in my pocket so I gave them RD$20 each!

milone
02-08-2005, 09:05 AM
I had no problems at SDQ airport during three trips. Just breezed through. What is good is that they check your luggage against your airline ticket so you don't have to worry about your suitcase getting stolen. On the way back, some fool was shaking me down, looking for a tip as I was going through security. I regretfully gave him some pesos.

el_papi_chew_low
02-08-2005, 10:22 AM
I've never gotten this shakedown [hope i'm not jinxing myself] Now, I usually bring two bags that are able to fit on the flight. I was in Santo Domingo in January 2004.

Don Tomas
02-08-2005, 11:05 AM
...What is good is that they check your luggage against your airline ticket so you don't have to worry about your suitcase getting stolen....On the way back, some fool was shaking me down, looking for a tip as I was going through security. I regretfully gave him some pesos.

All airports are suppose to check baggage tags, I personally have acumulated probably around 500,000 airline miles during my life, I have never been asked to produce tickets and I definitely wasn't asked at SDQ.

Some guy tried to get my sunglasses from me on my way out, I told him they cost US$240 and he was crazy to ask for them and said NO!

BrooklynBeas
02-08-2005, 08:24 PM
they checked that my bag matched the ticket when i went to SDQ two years ago ... thats the only place they have ever checked it!

Someone told me ( i dont think its true) that the people that search ur bags when you come in to the country are doing this illegally... they said you can have them call the consulate because it is illegal to check an americans bags when they are on vacation (coming in to DR) anyone know if they can find this out (DT)... haha.... He also was in the Marines so i dont know if he has special privilages... but this is what he claims...

continentalmike
02-09-2005, 02:48 AM
they checked that my bag matched the ticket when i went to SDQ two years ago ... thats the only place they have ever checked it!

Someone told me ( i dont think its true) that the people that search ur bags when you come in to the country are doing this illegally... they said you can have them call the consulate because it is illegal to check an americans bags when they are on vacation (coming in to DR) anyone know if they can find this out (DT)... haha.... He also was in the Marines so i dont know if he has special privilages... but this is what he claims...

BS, this is bs.. aduana can search your bags when they want.. imagine an American can't get his bag searched...

BrooklynBeas
02-09-2005, 07:58 AM
i dont mean leaving the country and boarding the plane i mean on the way in... this is just what he said... if you refuse and tell them to call the consulate then they will let you go... just what i heard... i also believe its bullshit...

continentalmike
02-09-2005, 08:45 AM
i dont mean leaving the country and boarding the plane i mean on the way in... this is just what he said... if you refuse and tell them to call the consulate then they will let you go... just what i heard... i also believe its bullshit...

that's wha tI meant as well.. image you bringing in a cool $ 150,000 in remittances.. totally legal in the US but not in the DR.. they can't search you? tell that to the y guys who got caught bringing in remittances money...

I would actually like to see him being searched by the aduana when coming in.. nice fracas :wink:

BrooklynBeas
02-09-2005, 08:48 AM
ive only flew into STI 2 times and both times they put my suitcase through the xray machine and then gave it to me and i was free to go... only in Sosua do they want to open your shit and search through it... i hate this shit even when i dont have anything they would fuck with me for.... dont touch my shit you dirty fuckin dominican... no offense to the dominicans i just hate these bastards