PDA

View Full Version : Democratic Convention

yayow
08-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Last night was the opening night for the Dem. Convention, next week the Republican's have their convention. I enjoyed watching the Convention last night especially Michelle Obama's speech. Although I don't think this is not a forum for politics and religion but for mongering and all that goes along with it, since this section is on world news I couldn't resist just saying one thing.

I noticed that 3 men and 1 woman was arrested with weapons and drugs in the Denver area where the convention is taking place. They felt originally that it may be a National Security matter because one of the men had made threats against Obama's life when he was arrested. They now feel that it was a drug induced threat and that the candidate really had nothing to fear from these drug crazed individuals. I just had hoped that America had gotten past the prejudice of judging a candidate strictly on the pigmentation of his or her skin or gender, but 20 years later after Robert F. Kennedy and Dr. Martin Luther King were killed because of their thoughts and beliefs it appears that we haven't gotten past these things. I can respect someone if they don't vote for a man or woman because you disagree with their ideas or their party's platform or maybe because you feel they have a lack of experience but because they don't look like you, I have no respect for that.

After all this is supposed to be America and America is supposed to be the leader of the free world. I just hope they live up to that legacy no matter what the outcome of the presidential race is. That is all I had to say. I won't be commenting on anything else political or religious.

greydread
08-26-2008, 06:01 PM
I noticed that 3 men and 1 woman was arrested with weapons and drugs in the Denver area where the convention is taking place. They felt originally that it may be a National Security matter because one of the men had made threats against Obama's life when he was arrested. They now feel that it was a drug induced threat and that the candidate really had nothing to fear from these drug crazed individuals. I just had hoped that America had gotten past the prejudice of judging a candidate strictly on the pigmentation of his or her skin or gender, but 20 years later after Robert F. Kennedy and Dr. Martin Luther King were killed because of their thoughts and beliefs it appears that we haven't gotten past these things. I can respect someone if they don't vote for a man or woman because you disagree with their ideas or their party's platform or maybe because you feel they have a lack of experience but because they don't look like you, I have no respect for that.

After all this is supposed to be America and America is supposed to be the leader of the free world. I just hope they live up to that legacy no matter what the outcome of the presidential race is. That is all I had to say. I won't be commenting on anything else political or religious.
I had to explain the American racial divide to a British colleague and his wife several years ago and it was like I was confessing that there is no Easter Bunny. They were familiar with the constitution and the nuts and bolts of government but when we got to the part about Jim Crowe law, the scourge of lynchings and the rise of Supremacists at the turn of the last century, the struggle for voting rights, equal housing and employment opportunity and the underrepresentation in corporate and government leadership they concluded that we're not as "civilized" as we think we are. I'd like to think we're getting collectively better. The whole World is waiting to see about that as evidenced by Mr. Obaba's overseas tour last month. Time will tell....

El Capitan
08-26-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm voting for O-dog...he is different from the "gray haired old white men" (Jimmy Buffett song quote) that've run this country into the ground.

I grew up in the 60's and like many have witnessed what lengths the "powers that be" will go, to get thier way....I only wished he chosen a better VP than Biden..(the guy lied on his resume about his education among other things)

The JOKE that I've been telling my friends is, I'm voting for mac n cheese (his kids), fried chicken (his wife's cooking) and some wholesome goodness (his attitude), THAT used to be Sunday dinner in my house......we ALL ate at the table together.

McCain is "stale" like white bread and that beer his ol' lady's family made thier money from.....

No matter what....before we are Democrat or Republican...WE are AMERICAN...and that should transend all....for without America, there are no Dems or Repubs anywhere else in the world!

agua chico
08-26-2008, 08:25 PM
"there are no Dems or Repubs anywhere else in the world"

Britain has the Labour party and the Tories (conservatives), it's just like the dems and repubs here

JuanElGriego
08-26-2008, 09:15 PM
"there are no Dems or Repubs anywhere else in the world"

Britain has the Labour party and the Tories (conservatives), it's just like the dems and repubs here

Most every 'western' country has their own 'repubs/demos' ..... and ironically, just like here, they're both really the same shit after you peel away the superficial layers. :rolleyes:

yayow
08-27-2008, 11:19 PM
So I lied and I am going to post on this subject again. I have enjoyed the speeches; yesterday learned a lot about Hillary and I HAVE NEVER BEEN A FAN!! But she showed me a lot and I enjoyed it immensly. Bill Clinton and Joe Biden gave very good speeches also. Looking forward till tommorrow night when Obama speaks. Then I will intently follow the Republican Convention next week. I wasn't planning on voting this year because I won't be in the States, but I will be applying for my absentee ballot now. This is an important election and I guess I need to be heard. I am actually a little pumped looking foward to see what the Republican's say. I have never voted along any party line but for who I felt was the best person for that position. I don't know enough about what is happening in NY politics so I guess I will have limit myself to the Presidential election this time around.

JD426
08-28-2008, 12:21 AM
What Did Hillary show you, Im curious ?
I watched her LIVE(online) , the whole thing, and I didnt learn a damn thing. I may have missed a few seconds here and there, but I watched it.
I think she made some CLEVER points in her speech, and the Harriet Tubman reference was nice. But over all it didnt impress me. IMO she has a knack for having a speech written to that specific audience, and she rehearses the heck out of it.
A guy on the radio here from NJ was there live, and he saw her practicing HUGGING Chelsea, they practiced it over and over, but apparantly didnt use it in her "performance" for whatever reason, and thats what it was ,a well Choreographed Act.again IMO.

I am also looking forward to Obama's speech, and I may vote for him.
He is the candidate . Hillary and Bill should just leave already, they nauseate me.
And btw, Bill referred Obama as Candidate X, this was AFTER her speech & giving her endorsement.
And he even went on to say "Canditate X agrees with you on everything, but probably cant pull it off, and candidate Y only agrees with you on 1/2, but he can get the job done."
Who do you think he was referring to & why was this necessary ?
And they do work as a TEAM,that should be obvious by now, so I will hold one accountable for what the other does and says.

BUT,
I think Obama can change the way we view the Dems and the office.
and I wish him well and can't wait to hear him speak.

yayow
08-28-2008, 02:10 AM
I guess I was impressed with her enthusiastic endorsement of Obama, even if it was fake. Didn't know how she would show; of course it is all for show but she pulled it off and she talked about unity. It needed to be done and she stepped up and did it. Prior to that I wasn't sure that she would or could do it. She actually did something for somebody else; I didn't know she was capable. Plus I think the delivery was good, and the content was decent. Prior to that I had no use for her, I will look at her again and what she says later in the campaign. I want to see her in attack dog mode.

greydread
08-28-2008, 02:02 PM
I think he may be able to change the way we view politicians, period and I can't wait for his first day on the job.

It's not that "W" is a bad guy. His policies have been based on inflexible idiologue rather than best practices and he is surrounded by "yes men" and syncophants. They've been so busy ass kissing, and finger pointing that it's hard for him to get reliable information or advice. I work in this shit every day and y'all have no idea how badly I'd like to see Washington change and put the American people before the beaurocratic fiefdoms of the DC power brokers.

Arguments against doing what's right only make sense to those who are doing wrong.

JD426
08-28-2008, 03:07 PM
If I do vote for Obama, and I think I am leaning that way already.
Its not because of color,not because he speaks well and doesnt stumble over his own words like GW did.
Not because he is younger and better looking than the fossil he is running against.

Its for ONE reason, and ONE MAJOR reason only.

To send a message to the rich cocksuckers that think they OWN this fucking country.
NO, Fuck you !!! , " WE THE FUCKING PEOPLE OWN THIS COUNTRY" , and we are TAKING IT THE FUCK BACK.

I think he should incorporate that in his speech, but it may need to be softened up a bit.
thats my .02

3somefan
08-28-2008, 06:07 PM
The only thing that I find a little odd is that a few days into this convention, and Obama is only up 1 point in the recent Gallop Poll released this morning. Common sense would suggest that Obama would have a fairly big spike in the polls with all of this focus put on the Dems and himself.

I think this is a reflection that most American people are nervous about his experience. He is a very likable guy, but this is the one major factor I have with him. I liked his idea of change, but he has never really detailed them out as of yet. Then he contradicted his whole message of change by choosing Biden as his running mate (30-40 years of Washington Bureaucratics).

I am still on the fence. I am recording his speech tonight for me to watch when I get back from work, then going to be watching what McCain has to say. I am leaning towards McCain right now though.

Hemp
08-28-2008, 06:35 PM
I am really looking forward to the Speech tonight...no better day to do it than the anniversary of MLK's i have a dream speech.

3somefan
08-28-2008, 08:16 PM
I am really looking forward to the Speech tonight...no better day to do it than the anniversary of MLK's i have a dream speech.

Very True Hemp...

Related side note to this is that McCain showed some class by sending a message over to Obama today...this is paraphrased, but basically he was congratulating him on this historic event of the first African American presidential candidate giving a speech to so many on this very special date in American History. I thought that was very classy on his part, although he did mention at the end that tomorrow the contest begins again...:)

Inconego
08-28-2008, 11:39 PM
What Did Hillary show you, Im curious ?
I watched her LIVE(online) , the whole thing, and I didnt learn a damn thing. I may have missed a few seconds here and there, but I watched it.
I think she made some CLEVER points in her speech, and the Harriet Tubman reference was nice. But over all it didnt impress me. IMO she has a knack for having a speech written to that specific audience, and she rehearses the heck out of it.
A guy on the radio here from NJ was there live, and he saw her practicing HUGGING Chelsea, they practiced it over and over, but apparantly didnt use it in her "performance" for whatever reason, and thats what it was ,a well Choreographed Act.again IMO.

I am also looking forward to Obama's speech, and I may vote for him.
He is the candidate . Hillary and Bill should just leave already, they nauseate me.
And btw, Bill referred Obama as Candidate X, this was AFTER her speech & giving her endorsement.
And he even went on to say "Canditate X agrees with you on everything, but probably cant pull it off, and candidate Y only agrees with you on 1/2, but he can get the job done."
Who do you think he was referring to & why was this necessary ?
And they do work as a TEAM,that should be obvious by now, so I will hold one accountable for what the other does and says.

BUT,

You're right. It definitely wasn't as sincere and extemporaneous as a Bush, Cheney, or McCain speech...

Good point...

El Capitan
08-29-2008, 06:21 PM
"there are no Dems or Repubs anywhere else in the world" Britain has the Labour party and the Tories (conservatives), it's just like the dems and repubs here Are you F---ing serious? Our system may be "like" others, but those people are indigenous to thier country of origin.....

There are NO Democrats or Republicans ANYWHERE except here.....In Britan they still wear WIGS in session....

There are other "Democracies"....if that's what you call them...

rley69
08-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I had to explain the American racial divide to a British colleague and his wife several years ago and it was like I was confessing that there is no Easter Bunny.

Well, if your colleague and his missus ever come home and wake up to the realities of life for the average Somali, Bangledeshi, Albanian, Kurdish or many other people of different colour or culture in parts of modern Britain (particularly the East London or Northern English town parts) they might even find cause to doubt the existence of Father Christmas as well!

weyland
08-29-2008, 07:00 PM
... those people are indigenous to their country of origin ...
:confused: I would be interested to know of any people who are not indigenous to their country of origin. That would indeed be a clever trick.

p.s. Good to see rley69 back with us. Any trips to the DR planned in the near future?

moshy2k
08-29-2008, 11:46 PM
I think this is a reflection that most American people are nervous about his experience. He is a very likable guy, but this is the one major factor I have with him. I liked his idea of change, but he has never really detailed them out as of yet. Then he contradicted his whole message of change by choosing Biden as his running mate (30-40 years of Washington Bureaucratics).

I am interested to hear what people talking about experience will say now that MCcain has chosen a running mate with no international experience.

For those making the experience arguement need to ask themselves. If something happens to McCain (who is 72) would you want Palin running the country and negotiating with Ahmadinejad (Iran president), terrorists, and other world leaders.

3somefan
08-30-2008, 02:07 AM
I am interested to hear what people talking about experience will say now that MCcain has chosen a running mate with no international experience.

For those making the experience arguement need to ask themselves. If something happens to McCain (who is 72) would you want Palin running the country and negotiating with Ahmadinejad (Iran president), terrorists, and other world leaders.

Moshy, I hear ya. Good choice though on McCain's part IMHO. He picked someone with just about as much experience as Obama!!! :wink: :lol:

All jokes aside, she is a compelling choice. I am currently looking more into her past. I will share what I find.

greydread
08-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Are you F---ing serious? Our system may be "like" others, but those people are indigenous to thier country of origin.....

There are NO Democrats or Republicans ANYWHERE except here.....In Britan they still wear WIGS in session....

There are other "Democracies"....if that's what you call them...
True. This is a case of apples v. oranges. GB is a constitutional monarchy with a Queen and a house of Lords. We have not and will never have Americans who ascend to private political power by birthright where everyday people are permanently locked out and can only govern from a "House of Commons".

Why, that's simply un-American. Guys who were from the wrong side of the tracks (Lincoln, Clinton, Johnson, etc.) have led this country as effectively as any high born American. This could never happen in jolly old England. That's a far worse system to me than Rep's v. Dem's, at least for those of "low" birth. Try that shit over here and there's gonna be some scrapping going on.

El Capitan
08-30-2008, 08:19 PM
:confused: I would be interested to know of any people who are not indigenous to their country of origin. That would indeed be a clever trick.

p.s. Good to see rley69 back with us. Any trips to the DR planned in the near future? My point being weyland that WE have our political set up...indigenous and your country has yours.....and to call the two the same is a little off the mark.....like calling a Ford a Bentley so to speak, while both are cars....they are still not the same....they are indignous to their countries or origin (from where they are from....)

Our system allows for people not indigenous (or of family lines not from here ) to serve in our government....does yours? Are there any Muslims in the House of Commons? (I honestly do not know about how things are done there)....I do know I love the accent, the beer and some of the food....many of the girls need to see a dentist:eek:

El Capitan
08-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Moshy, I hear ya. Good choice though on McCain's part IMHO. He picked someone with just about as much experience as Obama!!! :wink: :lol:

All jokes aside, she is a compelling choice. I am currently looking more into her past. I will share what I find.

Yeah just what we need, a fucking hockey mom from a small town in the co-pilots seat. Her HUSBAND and SON are not Republicans....she simply chose a party to run on a ticket in her tiny town....I don't need a mommy in charge when IRAN is looking at wiping an entire country off the map, I need someone with some balls who will push the button....like Ronnie Raygun would have....(like Darth Vader Cheney is dying to do)

McCain blew it trying this political stunt....his ideas are old and so is he....when he farts I bet he blows sawdust out his ass

By the way...McCain keeps pushing his POW status.....look up his flight record...he's crashed more than a few, he's been shot down and entered the Naval Academy on the coat tails of his father and grandfather....he's not IKE, PATTON, Bob Dole or JFK (who was a war hero....of PT-109)....at best, he got shot down, captured and to his credit, he hung in there when he had the chance to leave....

The guy does not run the show in his house...his wife does, she holds the paper.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Where's General Norm, General Powell, Peter Pace....they want no part of it!

Hemp
08-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Bill Maher ripped McCain a new ass hole last night for his VP choice, LOL

funny as hell

Governor of Alaska :p :rofl:

Repubs just make one bone headed move after the other

moshy2k
08-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Why is she compelling?

Hemp
08-30-2008, 08:52 PM
:p :p :p :p :p :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

MyTio
08-30-2008, 08:59 PM
the majority of likely voter are female and many will vote for her just because she is a female :eek: and are mad as hell that Hillary did not get the V P spot dont hate me for speaking the truth:biggrin: the power of the pussy
</IMG></IMG>

moshy2k
08-30-2008, 09:27 PM
It a fact that the
majority
of likely voter are female and many will vote for her just because she is a female :eek: and are mad as hell that Hillary did not get the V P spot dont hate me for speaking the truth:biggrin:
</IMG>

This idea makes no sense once we did a little deeper. Hillary is pro choice and Palin is pro LIFE (even in the case of rape and incest). Right here is one of the major differences that kill that thought. Secondly, if you look at many of the reports and bloggers that have appeared since Palin was nominated also differ with that stance.

Third, many of the women who voted for Hillary wanted HILLARY because they identified (traveling pant suits) with her. Not simply because she was a women. Of course their may be a few who just want a women, but I doubt it will be any significant number as Hillary and Palin are complete opposites on MANY political topics.

Lastly, I think more Clinton female supporters will be offended at the obvious ploy to attract women with a candidate who couldn't hold Hillary's panty strap.

Just my opinion.

MyTio
08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
we will see in November woman are not sensible just vindictive:rolleyes: :eek:
</IMG></IMG>

El Capitan
08-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Why is she compelling? Consider the source

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/uploaded/10566/1215965355.jpg

3somefan
08-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Consider the source

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/uploaded/10566/1215965355.jpg

Ya know what El Captian, I have tried to not respond to your childish comments, I have even not responded to your ignorant PMs. I have no idea what I have done to you to make you always act the way you do towards me, but at this point I don't give a fuck anymore!

You are a pathetic asshole!! You are the rudest fucking idiot on this board!! No one likes you and even with your immature attempts at putting people down to make yourself feel better...you still fail! You are a failure and nothing you do to make yourself "taller" will help!!

Go fuck yourself!!!

Hemp
08-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, the DNC is over.

Obama gave a Fantastic Speech may it be stiched in our hearts and echoed in our heads for years to come!