PDA

View Full Version : La Rocca

Jimmydr
04-10-2004, 06:06 PM
A nice restaurant near the beach, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Don Tomas
04-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Had the white sauce, seafood pasta, very tasty.

El Tiburon
04-22-2004, 02:50 AM
Had the t-bone steak special here. 450 peso I think with salad first and then the steak comes with sauteed veggies and a baked potato or fries. Pricy but worth every peso. Still think about it along with all that pussy...

Travelfox

Mister NYC
04-22-2004, 01:30 PM
They have a members only menu where they list nearly 20 dishes for about 70-140 pesos each. Read the fine print at the bottom of the members only menu because it states that you will pay the tax, and tourist surcharge equivalent to $1 USD if you are not a resident, etc.

I always deal with the same waiter, Eric, the guy who used to work at PJ's. He speaks great english along with the rest.

Always make an appearance and you get the perks of paying less than your typical tourist.

Jimmydr
04-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Elj, Mystery and myself had an American Breakfast at La Rocca for 100 pesos each. Not Bad at all.

Jthomas
06-10-2004, 11:13 PM
I ordered the steak special and it sucked. It was so tough I almost gave it back. The service was not very good either, they never came back to get me another beer or check on me. I had to find someone to get me the bill. It was about 1:30 in the afternoon and the place was empty except for a couple at the bar. I heard the seafood is better here, but I don't know if I would go back or not.

Jimmydr
06-11-2004, 08:14 AM
I ordered the steak special and it sucked. It was so tough I almost gave it back. The service was not very good either, they never came back to get me another beer or check on me. I had to find someone to get me the bill. It was about 1:30 in the afternoon and the place was empty except for a couple at the bar. I heard the seafood is better here, but I don't know if I would go back or not.

Welcome to DR, first service sucks everywhere and second, never eat beef in this country.

Don Tomas
06-11-2004, 09:31 AM
never eat beef in this country.

I second that!

Shadow Dweller
06-11-2004, 09:59 AM
http://sanfordandhawley.com/laroca.jpg

vagabond
06-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Bologna use to have great beef, but they have got pretty exspencive the last year.

Jthomas
06-11-2004, 07:57 PM
I did hear that there is a place on the other end of town that has good beef. I think it is El Toro

Jimmydr
06-12-2004, 11:14 AM
I did hear that there is a place on the other end of town that has good beef. I think it is El Toro

Yes this place is very good!

elj707
06-13-2004, 07:15 PM
El Toro is very good and the german place next door is really good 8)

D_W_
04-26-2005, 01:16 PM
I ate at La Rocca...I used the "vip" menu.

It was alright...wasn't impressed. I won't go back anytime soon.

will_blueprint
04-26-2005, 01:25 PM
gotta get the tiger shrimp

D_W_
04-26-2005, 02:11 PM
gotta get the tiger shrimp

Now that I heard about...some guys were raving about it.

Unfortunately, I'm allegric.

DEPUTY DAWG
04-26-2005, 05:20 PM

I second that!

Now I find this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

They were way to expensive and they couldn't cook a steak right for anything :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

el_papi_chew_low
04-26-2005, 05:22 PM

I second that!

Why are you guys against eating beef in the DR?

D_W_
04-26-2005, 05:24 PM

I second that!

It's by no means the best. But I will east a thousand steaks before I touch the fish.

I will not eat the ground beef there though...actually you shouldn't eat ground beef period. If you only knew....

But beef in DR...I'll eat it...I have no problem with it.

knotty
04-26-2005, 06:37 PM
what's wrong with the fish, Dogwood?

Maximus
04-26-2005, 07:32 PM
The first time I ate at La Roca was at their all you can eat BBQ on Friday nights. It wasn't good at all, and that kept me away for awhile.

However, the last two trips I have eaten there and have to say that everything was good. The pork tenderloin medallions are very good, the shrimp with the garlic sauce was excellent, and the Filet Mignon was better than I expected, but expensive. It wasn't like you would get in a good restaurant here, but it was pretty good.

Tried El Toro last trip. Two of us got the filet mignon special. It was very good and was a good price. One guy got the porterhouse, which cost TWICE as much, and it was gristly! Go figure. I will definitely try there again, though.

And of course, La Roca.

Maximus
04-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Oh, I forgot to say that I eat my steak medium to medium rare. And I was served it that way. Maybe that is why it wasn't dry or tough.

gdogg
04-26-2005, 10:26 PM
El Toro's Filet Mignon is excellent, and very reasonably priced.

D_W_
04-27-2005, 10:35 AM

On one of my first trips my buddy was within 12 hours of death from eating some bad fish. It's long story....you know what. I think I'll write my Boca Chica trip report from a few years back. It was a hoot.

Alot of folks have eaten seafood with me since then. They've been happy...it's just if you only knew the hell I went through...you'd understand.

JDR
04-27-2005, 11:13 AM
I mainly eat at my place. Tonight is Lobster and shrimp again. :D

psienk
04-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Has anyone tried the chorazco at Pappions? I'm not sure if I'm spelling the restaurant or dish correctly, but when we went there last year it was one of the best steaks I've had and that includes RuthsChris steakhouse. The price for 4 of us plus apps. and lots of drinks was about $75 us.

DEPUTY DAWG
04-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Yeah so much for the invite buddy????????????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

JDR
04-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Yeah so much for the invite buddy????????????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sorry but that week I was on the roof eating like a KING. :cool:

moshy2k
04-27-2005, 06:50 PM
I hear you Deputy we didn't get no damn brownies lol lol :cry:

knotty
04-27-2005, 08:43 PM

On one of my first trips my buddy was within 12 hours of death from eating some bad fish. It's long story....you know what. I think I'll write my Boca Chica trip report from a few years back. It was a hoot.

Alot of folks have eaten seafood with me since then. They've been happy...it's just if you only knew the hell I went through...you'd understand.

I haven't tried any seafood down there yet. Don't really trust too many places to eat since I have a weak stomach. Wasn't too sure of the seafood, and was thinking on getting some fish there next time. I think I might hold out on that. I wake up nervous down there hoping I don't wake up with apple berry splatters.

Jthomas
05-05-2005, 12:38 AM
The steak at Charazo's is great. A shit load of food cheap too. If this is the same place I am thinking of, in PP kind of up some steps from the street. Like a Brazilian steak house. Chicas love to go there on a night out.

Don Tomas
05-05-2005, 12:49 AM

I second that!

They don't hang beef in the DR. Walking around Cow to Plate in days!

The beef won't kill you but it tastes like shit. Only recommended in stews, etc.

The beef at some restaurants is imported.

DEPUTY DAWG
05-05-2005, 12:58 AM

I second that!

They don't hang beef in the DR. Walking around Cow to Plate in days!

The beef won't kill you but it tastes like shit. Only recommended in stews, etc.

The beef at some restaurants is imported.

Looks like shit too!!!!!!!!!

continentalmike
05-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Some guy by the name of Thomas showed us Camp David in Santiago.. they had decent beef there...

We ate fish everyday from one of the stalls on the beach in Boca Chica, red snapper from the grill.. also had breakfast with fruit plates everyday... everyday for about 5 days.. excellent food.. somtimes the girls would get pasta as breakfast..

Prices of fish RD$ 40-60 depending upon size and fruit RD$ 50 for a big ass plate that fed 2.. we let the novia's (real ones..) get the food so we wouldn't be scammed

DEPUTY DAWG
05-06-2005, 08:41 AM
we let the novia's (real ones..) get the food so we wouldn't be scammed

I gotta remember to do that cause I spent a small fortune on that overpriced food down there

el_papi_chew_low
11-15-2005, 05:25 PM
I'll be with my family for the holiday, but wanted to pass the information along for anyone that might be in Sosua during Thanksgiving :D

Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner at "La Roca"
November 24 2005. from 12:00PM

Roast Turkey Dinner - with all the trimmings !
Cream of Pumpkin Soup or Salad, roast Stuffed Turkey,
(real) mashed potatoes, gravy, Cranberry Sauce,
herb dressing, vegetables, Pumpkin Pie & coffee

RD #395.00 Pesos

Reservations Suggested
Pedro Clisante # 1, Sosua
Tel.. 809-571-3893

http://www.pixya.com/files/1118037677-wwediva.gif

Jimmydr
11-15-2005, 05:36 PM
And there will be a Bo D Thanksgiving get together at the Condo!