PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Gustav is on the way

yayow
09-01-2008, 12:29 AM
I am praying for the people in the Gulf Coast area with Hurricane Gustav due to make landfall about noon later on today. The poor people of that region still haven't fully recovered from Katrina, which occurred 3 years ago and here they go again. It appears that they have their act together a little better than they did last time, but what is the deal with the levies; I mean 3 years later and there are still problems with the levies give me a break!! The amazing thing is if this had occurred in another country America would have sent so many supplies and money and it would have been fixed and the infrastructure and the communities would have been well on the road to recovery. But the misuse of funds and corruption involved in rebuilding that region is amazing IMHO. Let's just hope that the people of that region get through this and whatever aid is needed is gotten to them swiftly and suffciently.

3somefan
09-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Anyone know yet if this one is thought to hit the New Orleans area directly for sure?

yayow
09-01-2008, 01:07 AM
It is hard to totally to predict because of the nature of storms, however it will definitely effect the area. Right now it seems to be tracking a little west of N.O. but it can shift a little east very easily. However the east part of the hurricane (east of the eye) packs the more powerful punch and right now that is probably what they will get. It is also important that there is more to the region than just N.O. although they are particularly vunerable due to the conditions of the levies and the fact that the city itself is under sea level. Add that to the previous problems associated with Katrina it has the potential to be very dangerous for the people of New Orleans.

cainer
09-01-2008, 01:26 AM
Anyone know yet if this one is thought to hit the New Orleans area directly for sure?

At 11pm on cnn, they are stating that if gustav continues on its current path, that the eye of the storm will miss New Orleans. New Orleans will still be hit by the huricane but, they are expecting only a category1 or 2, To the west they willl get the brunt of it.(category3)

This could have been much worse then what they were currently projecting. It actually has weekened since it left Cuba as a category4 hurricane.

Anything can still happen but the early prognosis is much better now then it was 24 hours ago. Grand ilse(where ever that is) is ecpected to get the direct hit as of present forecast.

El Capitan
09-01-2008, 08:24 AM
This is the real deal....

The federal government proved itself after Katrina....if it's anything more than throwing money at a disaster....they suck. Your best bet is to prepare yourself for the disasters of your region and be ready to take care of yourself....

The response to Gustav will be different than Katrina...a fuck up by Bush on the eve of what was to be the RNC would be a major blow to the party...what remains to be seen is the damage from mother nature.

No matter what man does, we can't control that.

yayow
09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Real early for the storm, but already causing problems - including tornadoes on the outskirts of the storm. By the time it is over could be real problems. Again my prayers are with them.

dpilzbo
09-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Hey Cainer I did not know where it was either or if this is even relevant now but...

"Grand Isle is located in Jefferson Parish at the southern tip of La. Hwy. 1. Located on the Gulf of Mexico, the primary businesses for island residents are tourism, the seafood industry, and oilfield related professions. Originally inhabited in the early 1700's, Grand Isle is a relatively small community with a population of approximately 1,500 people. However, during the summer when vacationers begin flocking to the island, it is occupied by more than 12,000 tourists taking part in activities such as the Grand Isle International Tarpon Rodeo and Fourth of July festivities."-from a website

-dp

cainer
09-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Bad enough to get gustav and now hannah, but there is even another one out there called ike.

They are predicting Ike to effect part of the east coast of the dominican republic.

By saturday, its projected to be North of the Dominican Republic.

I dont want to cry wolf and get my head chopped off on this forum, but, if u are going next week to the Dr, pls keep track of this storm before you go.

Id hate to see someone go there and its possible the storm is going to have a direct hit on the Dr and u could have avoided it.