PDA

View Full Version : JD's first day on the job

NewsWhore
09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Former Vice President, and now Environment Minister Jaime David Fernandez Mirabal assumed his post yesterday, 18 days after he was named to the position. Fernandez Mirabal refused to comment on the situation, which fueled rumors there was a rift between him and President Leonel Fernandez. President Fernandez was pleased with Fernandez Mirabal's decision. Yesterday, Fernandez Mirabal also seemed delighted by his new responsibility, one of the most difficult in government because of the many conflicts of interest. "I don't like it if someone takes something without telling me, but I also don't like people giving me things without telling me. But all of that is in the past and we are here to serve," he told the press.
"I have decided to take this responsiblity, I hope for the next eight years because in environment and natural resources areas, the results are not apparent immediately," he told the press.
Fernandez Mirabal explained to the current employees at the Ministry that they need not fear for their jobs, as substitutions will only be made where necessary.
The press had also speculated that Fernandez Mirabal could have negotiated with the President to be sure the ministry would be sufficiently funded so that he could successfully carry out the job.
Fernandez Mirabal was sworn to his post, together with ministers Bernabe Manon (forestry resources), Ernesto Reyna (environmental management), Eleuterio Martinez (protected areas and biodiversity), Manuel Serrano (land and waters), Dannerys Santana (coastal and marine resources), Ricardo Contreras (administrative), Martha Perez (environmental education), Rosa Urania Abreu, Air Force colonel Francisco Santos Tolentino (director of Environmental Police), and colonel Julio Cesar Rodriguez Burgos. Enrique Puigbert was sworn in as advisor to the President on marine matters, Jose Enrique Baez, will be director of Quisqueya Verde (bringing back Fernandez Mirabal's successful forestation program), Idalia Acevedo, is the new director of the National Aquarium and Virginia Heinsen, will be the director of the National Zoo. Former director David Arias was named forestry advisor to the President.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#2)