PDA

View Full Version : Fatal accident

Jimmydr
05-10-2006, 01:12 PM
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49557

whynotme
05-10-2006, 01:54 PM
sad but it seems to be a fact of life there.
most deaths r due to motor vehicle accidents.

BrooklynBeas
05-10-2006, 03:06 PM
A lot of accidents do happen in DR... Maybe drunk driving has a lot to do with that... :::cough::: Don Tomas::: cough:::... Its unfortunate but what can you do...

sicpup71
05-10-2006, 04:28 PM
was he an I.S.O.C. ' er, if not then ........ :gives:
if you want to be sad today is a 1 yr ago that my mother died in front of me.

robbie
05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
i am going to the DR 1st week of july it looks like i should walk
i wanted to rent a car at the airport and sightsee but i am thinking maybe next time?

gdogg
05-10-2006, 05:16 PM
That's why I've yet to drive down there!

Beads
05-10-2006, 05:57 PM
i havent tried driving and taking a moto for long distances doesnt seem to good either.i mean in a taxi i guess your somewhat safe but shit it is crazy over there.

ajax718
05-10-2006, 06:37 PM
If you reread the article, the majority of fatalities occur by people not inside vehicules, meaning on motos or as Pedestrians. I do not know about any of you guys, but I feel safer driving in a car down there then riding on a moto concho

Escottindr
05-10-2006, 06:50 PM
It is always sad to lose a child but comon, this is not unusual in any country.

Shit happens.

Beads
05-10-2006, 06:52 PM
If you reread the article, the majority of fatalities occur by people not inside vehicules, meaning on motos or as Pedestrians. I do not know about any of you guys, but I feel safer driving in a car down there then riding on a moto concho

most definitely.i feel better in a taxi than on a moto any day.

Don Tomas
05-10-2006, 07:18 PM
It is always sad to lose a child but comon, this is not unusual in any country.

Shit happens.

Very true but some people want to win the "American Lottery" aka SUE!

Who knows what happened, did the moto/car he rented have functioning tail/brake lights, was he wearing a seat belt, etc.

I am not justifying the accident or her loss, but again I do question 100% liability on the driver.

I have driven every trip down there since my 4th trip. Funny part the only people I have seen make stupid moves are other gringos. Dominican traffic could be view as chaos by an unfamilar eye but if you understand it, it does "flow", just understand it and go with the flow, don't try to interject American traffic laws.

This reminds me of a similar story, in Germany years back they wanted to require all spouses of American military to obtain Germain driver licenses. Well one women took the test and 5 minutes later it ended with the driver license exaiminer claiming that she would never ever get a license as long as he worked! The women claimed she didn't know what she did wrong and that she had driven for 10 years without an accident and drove exactly how she did in America. Of course I could write a paper on the differences between Europeans driving and Americans.

Never expect your home country's laws, ideals, or beliefs to apply to a foreign country.

PapiQueRico
05-10-2006, 10:16 PM
DT, perhaps it would help some if you and others who drive would discus a bit about what it is like to drive "in the flow" down in paradise. I'd appreciate it.

Don Tomas
05-10-2006, 10:24 PM
A lot of it is common sense, without interjecting laws.

If it is BUSY, and you want to make a left turn, pull to the right shoulder and wait for it to clear then make a left from there!

And I know I joke about it but the food chain does exist.
Mac Semi-trucks
Semi-trucks
Large Caribe Tours buses
Large Trucks
Diatsuis(sp?)
Large SUVs
Small SUVs
Cars
Motos

Example, on my first trip with Real Deal I was driving on the left side of the road because the road was better (only one side paved), there was a car coming (we were in a SUV), RD said Tom you need to to move over there is a car coming, well I had the bigger vehicle so I told RD he would move, and guess what the car did move.

Also one thing is THE HORN!
One quick beep as a warning "I am coming through"
One long beep as a warning "I am here! LOOK!"
Two quick beeps "Hey chica need a ride?"

BrooklynBeas
05-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Also one thing is THE HORN!
One quick beep as a warning "I am coming through"
One long beep as a warning "I am here! LOOK!"
Two quick beeps "Hey chica need a ride?"

hahaha... Funny shit in a sad thread!

Escottindr
05-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Very true but some people want to win the "American Lottery" aka SUE!

Who knows what happened, did the moto/car he rented have functioning tail/brake lights, was he wearing a seat belt, etc.

I am not justifying the accident or her loss, but again I do question 100% liability on the driver.

I have driven every trip down there since my 4th trip. Funny part the only people I have seen make stupid moves are other gringos. Dominican traffic could be view as chaos by an unfamilar eye but if you understand it, it does "flow", just understand it and go with the flow, don't try to interject American traffic laws.

This reminds me of a similar story, in Germany years back they wanted to require all spouses of American military to obtain Germain driver licenses. Well one women took the test and 5 minutes later it ended with the driver license exaiminer claiming that she would never ever get a license as long as he worked! The women claimed she didn't know what she did wrong and that she had driven for 10 years without an accident and drove exactly how she did in America. Of course I could write a paper on the differences between Europeans driving and Americans.

Never expect your home country's laws, ideals, or beliefs to apply to a foreign country.
They will learn quickly if they are looking for the money from the justice system here. Life is cheap here and there are NO big awards even for a death when drunk.

I hope it is not what is on her mind and possibly just justice and not money but she wont get that here either.

One thing about living in a 3rd world country is that you are not protected by the laws of your homeland and you need to realize this from the start or lead a very unhappy life while here in paradise or a certain type of paradise we have.

Escott

ajax718
05-11-2006, 07:46 PM
I think when DT said "the flow" of traffic in DR, he was referring to the flow of a Presidente going down his throat while he is driving in DR

Willie
05-11-2006, 09:40 PM
I always rent a car when I visit. At least I have a certain measure of control.

There is no guarantee that driving in a taxi is any safer. The only edge that a taxi would have would be in the case of damage to the vehicle, it wont be your problem.

Driving conditions differ from place to place. One just needs to adjust.

Willie

Don Tomas
05-11-2006, 10:38 PM
I think when DT said "the flow" of traffic in DR, he was referring to the flow of a Presidente going down his throat while he is driving in DR

Well that certainly helps!

Gladiator
05-12-2006, 04:31 PM
They don't normally keep much distance between cars, regardless of the speed, rain, etc, do they?

Don Tomas
05-12-2006, 05:15 PM
They don't normally keep much distance between cars, regardless of the speed, rain, etc, do they?

The NASCAR bumper sticker would work well down there.

"I'm not tailgating, I'm drafting!" :lol:

Beads
05-12-2006, 05:54 PM
I always rent a car when I visit. At least I have a certain measure of control.

There is no guarantee that driving in a taxi is any safer. The only edge that a taxi would have would be in the case of damage to the vehicle, it wont be your problem.

Driving conditions differ from place to place. One just needs to adjust.

Willie

Its definitely safer in the back seat!

Don Tomas
05-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Its definitely safer in the back seat!

Depends on the accident, I would prefer to be in the front seat if someone hit me from behind.

MrHappy
05-13-2006, 08:24 AM
I've said it before. Most dominicans do not understand the laws of physic at all.
They pull out in front of speeding cars, without looking to see if cars are coming. I watched a kid a couple of days ago pull a wheelie on a bike, and rode straight into the front of a Caribe Tours bus. He wasn't even looking where he was going!
The first concept you absolutely have to throw out the window is "right of way" It is a known fact that about 80%(yes, 80%) of drivers in the DR do not have a license, and many of them are illiterate as well.
Those drivers point their car in a given direction, and go. They do not worry about you having the right of way, they don't even THINK about it. It's a foreign concept to them.

Beads
05-13-2006, 09:44 AM
I've said it before. Most dominicans do not understand the laws of physic at all.
They pull out in front of speeding cars, without looking to see if cars are coming. I watched a kid a couple of days ago pull a wheelie on a bike, and rode straight into the front of a Caribe Tours bus. He wasn't even looking where he was going!
The first concept you absolutely have to throw out the window is "right of way" It is a known fact that about 80%(yes, 80%) of drivers in the DR do not have a license, and many of them are illiterate as well.
Those drivers point their car in a given direction, and go. They do not worry about you having the right of way, they don't even THINK about it. It's a foreign concept to them.

Now thats fucked up!

Downtown
05-13-2006, 08:43 PM
As Diver_Red once told me "traffic laws (in the DR) are merely suggestions". How true it is! I rent a car on every visit to not only address mobility aspect but also for safety and security concerns. I don't dig riding on the back of motoconchos and walking at night in unlit areas could put oneself at some risk. Defensive driving is always prudent, but sometimes you have to place yourself on the same playing field as they and resort to some offensive driving tactics, especially when they of the mistaken belief that if they are first ahead of you, they automatically have the right of way.

Don Tomas
05-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Defensive driving is always prudent, but sometimes you have to place yourself on the same playing field as they and resort to some offensive driving tactics, especially when they of the mistaken belief that if they are first ahead of you, they automatically have the right of way.

Yes you have to drive very offensively in the DR, Afterall the best Defense is a Good Offense!

As for that "mistaken belief" no that's common knowledge in the DR. That's how I drive there. If I am first I have the right of way!