PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Navarro

Downtown
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I did a quick recon of this hotel on Avenida Independencia, right beside the Hotel Duque de Wellington and across the street from the Hotel Casona Dorada. This is a very small 2 storey hotel with nice clean rooms. Unfortunately I did not have an opportunity to photograph inside but I can say they somewhat lacked character, moreover, almost to the point of a clinical atmosphere. The management said it was OK for chicas, but I got the impression that multiple visits by different ones may not be allowed. The main floor has a very nice bar area, however on my visit (at about 8:30 pm) it was empty. There are only about 12 or so rooms in the building with daily prices from $45-70 USD plus the usual 24% tax. I did notice that not many of the rooms had queeen size or larger beds, mainly 2 twins/doubles. Location wise it's about 10 minute walk to El Conde. Please disregard the date stamp on the photos, I was actually there September 11-18.

What we need is someone to actually stay there a night and check it out.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/398248e64335436d5.jpg
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/398248e643398d628.jpg

prtyr2
10-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Wow that used to be a Cuban restaurant. The owners figured out that "upscale" cuban food would not sell in DR. It was like paying 400 pesos for the same stuff you get in plato del dia! Duque De Wellington is gay friendly but a nice hotel. Casona Dorada has expanded a ton and have a bar but never any customers in the bar unless there is a party. They used to have some cute barmaids and I used to hang there a lot. New bar is rumored to be run by a guy that ran Trio cafe before Empresas EE took it over.

Downtown
10-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Wow that used to be a Cuban restaurant. The owners figured out that "upscale" cuban food would not sell in DR. It was like paying 400 pesos for the same stuff you get in plato del dia! Duque De Wellington is gay friendly but a nice hotel. Casona Dorada has expanded a ton and have a bar but never any customers in the bar unless there is a party. They used to have some cute barmaids and I used to hang there a lot. New bar is rumored to be run by a guy that ran Trio cafe before Empresas EE took it over.

Very interesting! I was walking around looking for a new place to eat and remembered this place from a previous stay at Hotel Casona Dorada (across the street). I walked in the door, saw the bar to my right and expected someone to seat me. A guy (employee) walked up to me and asked if I wanted a room. I said I wanted dinner! Wow! What a surprise!!

However, it is not surprising that the restaurant failed trying to sell Cuban cuisine. That's like trying to specialize in British food in North America!!

The Hotel Casona Dorada has a disco. One night a week, forget which day, it's "Ladies Night". I don't have to elaborate on what kind of ladies it attracts!!

prtyr2
10-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Ladies night at casona dorada. . . .and ex owner of Trio. . . .yeah I can take a guess what type of "ladies". . . .I'll have to stop in!

For decent food in that area try hotel senoreal. Walking out of casona dorada make left on independencia and first right towards malecon. One short block on right is hotel senoreal. Not fancy but not a dive. Decent food at decent prices. Owned by swiss guy I believe, but they have pasta, fish, shrimp, fondue and imported churrasco which is decent.

Prices have gone up so I am not sure how great of a deal it still is. They also have free wifi which is a big plus!

Very interesting! I was walking around looking for a new place to eat and remembered this place from a previous stay at Hotel Casona Dorada (across the street). I walked in the door, saw the bar to my right and expected someone to seat me. A guy (employee) walked up to me and asked if I wanted a room. I said I wanted dinner! Wow! What a surprise!!

However, it is not surprising that the restaurant failed trying to sell Cuban cuisine. That's like trying to specialize in British food in North America!!

The Hotel Casona Dorada has a disco. One night a week, forget which day, it's "Ladies Night". I don't have to elaborate on what kind of ladies it attracts!!

MrHappy
10-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Ladies night at casona dorada. . . .and ex owner of Trio. . . .yeah I can take a guess what type of "ladies". . . .I'll have to stop in!

For decent food in that area try hotel senoreal. Walking out of casona dorada make left on independencia and first right towards malecon. One short block on right is hotel senoreal. Not fancy but not a dive. Decent food at decent prices. Owned by swiss guy I believe, but they have pasta, fish, shrimp, fondue and imported churrasco which is decent.

Prices have gone up so I am not sure how great of a deal it still is. They also have free wifi which is a big plus!

Hell, I've never been in Senorial that there hasn't been at least 2-3 girls hanging out to see if they can meet their prince charming.

The last time I was there, there were two stunners sitting by themselves at a table. I was with a gf, so I didn't get a chance to speak with them.

And yes, the food is pretty good there.

prtyr2
10-09-2008, 12:44 AM
I am not sure if the deal is the same but supposedly the owner. . .mario used to go out to other towns, pueblos and campos and recruit girsl. He lets them stay in a few rooms and he gets to bang them in exchange. When he aint banging them they can hang in the bar and try to pick up customers.

Hell, I've never been in Senorial that there hasn't been at least 2-3 girls hanging out to see if they can meet their prince charming.

The last time I was there, there were two stunners sitting by themselves at a table. I was with a gf, so I didn't get a chance to speak with them.

And yes, the food is pretty good there.

MrHappy
10-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I am not sure if the deal is the same but supposedly the owner. . .mario used to go out to other towns, pueblos and campos and recruit girsl. He lets them stay in a few rooms and he gets to bang them in exchange. When he aint banging them they can hang in the bar and try to pick up customers.

Yeah, I've been told that by a couple of friends, but I wasn't sure that was the story, so I didn't mention it.

But, it makes sense. Anytime I drive by, I usually see girls in the restaurant area.