PDA

View Full Version : Argh! Talk about volatility in prices

Dick Dawson
10-27-2004, 08:00 PM
So on Monday I booked on Continental's web site from Newark to POP from 11/8 to 11/11 for $345.90. A week earlier it was $295.90 but at that time I hadn't decided if I was going or not. But still $345 is still less than what I paid for in June when it was $400.

So, just a few minutes ago (7:30pm) I just happened to check and the same exact itinerary is now $262.90!! I thought fare went up as you get closer to the date of departure not down. The dates of 11/1 to 11/4 a week earlier is over $600 dollars. So I call up and try to see if they can do anything for me and they said that they don't even show the price change. They still show $345. The change must've been done late today. It'll probably show system wide by tomorrow. I'll try again then. That's $80 that could go towards the chicas.

RearWindow
10-27-2004, 08:04 PM
I'm having the opposite problem...my costs keep going up, and i refuse to get up at 5am to leave SDQ. I know.... DON'T go to sleep. But if I do that i lose that morning and early afternoon from mongering. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

Dick Dawson
10-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Well I just got off the phone with Continental after checking the prices this morning and seeing that the fare went down again to $232.90! The lady said that in order for me to get that fare I'd have to pay a $100 change fee so I'd only be saving $17. The moral of this story is once you book a flight, don't got back and look again because you may regret it.

On the flip side if you're thinking about going now is the time to do it.

BrooklynBeas
10-28-2004, 09:07 AM
Well I just got off the phone with Continental after checking the prices this morning and seeing that the fare went down again to $232.90! The lady said that in order for me to get that fare I'd have to pay a $100 change fee so I'd only be saving $17. The moral of this story is once you book a flight, don't got back and look again because you may regret it.

On the flip side if you're thinking about going now is the time to do it.

i hope you changed to save the $17 cause thats a short time chica in DR... 500-600 pesos!...

Dick Dawson
10-28-2004, 10:52 AM
It was too much of a hassle. They would charge me $100 fee to change and then send me a certificate to use on a future flight for $117.

JD
10-28-2004, 11:13 AM
I have to agree with Dick Dawson. Don't look back.

I think what we are seeing though is expanded capacity for November to many routes in the DR. Of course the demand will be there in December for the Christmas season and then the airlines make their money back.

BTW I purchased my next trip @ $260.90 on October 10. It's now down to
247.90. FYI I am flying from EWR-STI, then returning SDQ-EWR.

Happy Hunting,

JD

Black Ghost
10-28-2004, 01:49 PM
I'm having the opposite problem...my costs keep going up, and i refuse to get up at 5am to leave SDQ. I know.... DON'T go to sleep. But if I do that i lose that morning and early afternoon from mongering. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

Stop being a baby and get your ass up.. :wink:

portcityplaya
10-28-2004, 06:39 PM
You guys make me laugh. Me and some of my friends are planning a trip to Santo Domingo in Jan. I started watching the flights about a month ago. The prices started at about $505, which is about what it was when we went in Aug., It was up to about $640 last friday. I checked Saturday morning and it had dropped to 520 and had kept dropping ever since. Today it was down to 442. That's about 200 hundred bucks in a week. Man that's crazy. These are American Airlines prices. Here in Charlotte we have some of the highest flight costs in the country so you guys may think $440 is a lot but believe me that's a bargain here. If prices ever fell to some of the prices you guys get flying outta New York etc. ($250 - 350) I think folks would run naked in the streets. :lol:

milone
10-28-2004, 06:51 PM
It's a shitty system. I too thought prices went up as the flight got closer, but that's not true. My last flight in August from Newark to POP, I paid 462. (I think). The price kept flucuating. When I got on the plane, there were hardly any passengers!! Shouldn't the price have been lowered to try to lure more flyers? From JFK, there have been prices as low as 245. Yes, we have to be happy compared to Mongers who fly from other parts of the country / world.

RearWindow
10-28-2004, 08:03 PM
If prices ever fell to some of the prices you guys get flying outta New York etc. ($250 - 350) I think folks would run naked in the streets. :lol: Charlotte is a college town ,right? If so,PM me as soon as that happens :wink: . I hit a club or two down there a while back , and the girls were quite the belles.

Actually 440 is pretty damn good to me. I have to drive about 2 hours to sniff a price like that.

Black Ghost
10-28-2004, 08:27 PM
If prices ever fell to some of the prices you guys get flying outta New York etc. ($250 - 350) I think folks would run naked in the streets. :lol: Charlotte is a college town ,right? If so,PM me as soon as that happens :wink: . I hit a club or two down there a while back , and the girls were quite the belles.

Actually 440 is pretty damn good to me. I have to drive about 2 hours to sniff a price like that.

Around your area you guys get screwed in flight prices man.. :?

fox mulder
10-29-2004, 06:45 PM
I really envy the guys from NY and all the rest of teh guys that can pay under $300 and still complain. Try flying out of houston and pay over $550 to STI not POP. POP is much more expensive. If you find STI for $550 you smile. Because that is the cheapest it is going to be. But hey guys I really need help there has to be a cheaper way to get to the DR from houston. Any ideas.

psriches
10-29-2004, 08:07 PM
A lot of Dominicans in New York City!!! Gotta Love It!!!

WSJ3
10-29-2004, 08:43 PM
A lot of Dominicans in New York City!!! Gotta Love It!!!

I used to live in Washington Height psriches and its not the same...I can pull twenty women in one day in Sosua, but unless you are dressed to impress and rolling in a brand new car and not a hooptee...these "assimilated borg" NYC dominicanas are not giving the brothers any love.