PDA

View Full Version : All other services

sota
10-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Hey guys,

I am wondering if anybody knows if Sosua has a laundry service. If they do, does anyone know the reliability, cost, and turn around time?

Plus, I would like to know if you all have some restaurant recommendations. I have read that Rocky's, El Toro Steak House, La Rocca, and Bailey's are good. Plus mixed reviews about Morua Mai. Any suggestion, recommendations, warnings, and review would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

rdmatheny
10-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Last time I was there in March, the laundry service is like right across from Casa Cayena hotel. I think its like 300 pesos for average load. When I used it I dropped clothes off in the morning and they were done in the afternoon. Folded and clean.

Citynights
10-28-2008, 01:17 AM
I use the landry service in Sousa all the time now....after week one day & before I go home..this way all my clothes are washed and pressed so I have no laundry if any to do when I get home...there is two laundry shops within minutes of Casa Marina Resort....300 pesos is what I payed...

cainer
10-28-2008, 02:21 AM
I never got the chance to eat here, but, i ran into the owner of this resturant called Baloneys or something like that. I think its some kind of Italian resturnat and from the way everyone was talking at the poker table, is, that they make the best pizza in town. Maybe someone can confirm this or not and also correct me on the spelling of this so called pizza Italian resturante.

Jimmydr
10-28-2008, 07:50 AM
There are a few and usually it takes a day but if you are a regular, they will give you same day service. last year it was about $3 to do a load.

Jimmydr
10-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Last time I was there in March, the laundry service is like right across from Casa Cayena hotel. I think its like 300 pesos for average load. When I used it I dropped clothes off in the morning and they were done in the afternoon. Folded and clean.

Last year I was paying 100 but it may have gone up.

weyland
10-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey guys,

Plus, I would like to know if you all have some restaurant recommendations. I have read that Rocky's, El Toro Steak House, La Rocca, and Bailey's are good. Plus mixed reviews about Morua Mai.
Interesting. I have never heard any complaints about the food at Morua Mai, just that it is a bit pricey. I have eaten only twice at La Rocca in three years of visits. Both times below average food and service. But I am not a Sosúa regular, so I would respect the opinions of those who use these restaurants a lot more than me.

ilikenyacional
10-28-2008, 05:37 PM
You can also check the restaurant at Hotel Orchidee, near Rocky.

Good food, nice place, good service, reasonable price. I paid about 6-700 pesos, tip included for 2 persons. We had Grilled fish with cheese sauce and a chicken salad, a beer, a cola and a coffee. The place was almost packed so it must be a good place. German owned and operated. I heard that their pizza was great also. I will go back, I liked it.

elsucio
10-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Last year I was paying 100 but it may have gone up.

i was paying 200 pesos a couple weeks ago(that was for a fairly large load), additionally most of the cleaning ladies at the hotels will also do laundry for you at about same rate. i know the girls at New Garden will but usually you don't get them back until next day

Jimmydr
10-28-2008, 07:40 PM
i was paying 200 pesos a couple weeks ago(that was for a fairly large load), additionally most of the cleaning ladies at the hotels will also do laundry for you at about same rate. i know the girls at New Garden will but usually you don't get them back until next day

200 sounds more in line. Next day service is fine.

Juggles
10-28-2008, 11:09 PM
You can also check the restaurant at Hotel Orchidee, near Rocky.

Good food, nice place, good service, reasonable price. I paid about 6-700 pesos, tip included for 2 persons. We had Grilled fish with cheese sauce and a chicken salad, a beer, a cola and a coffee. The place was almost packed so it must be a good place. German owned and operated. I heard that their pizza was great also. I will go back, I liked it.

Ate there 2x. Once with friends, once with chica. Great food, Great service and a TreeHouse (nice) atmosphere.

Pizza (approaching same level as Bologna)
Gyro (great)
Steak (great)

Highly recommended. However, it was tough to find, as the restaurant can't be seen from the street, needed a friendly ex-pat to lead me there.

sota
10-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your prompt replies, this really helps me out. Now, I won't have to walk around with a giant sign saying "Estoy perdido gringo, explotan me por favor!" If you all have more suggestions, I would appreciate reading it.

I use the landry service in Sousa all the time now....after week one day & before I go home..this way all my clothes are washed and pressed so I have no laundry if any to do when I get home...there is two laundry shops within minutes of Casa Marina Resort....300 pesos is what I payed...

Citynights, by any chance would you know their names or would I be able to tell what they are from the street?

Thanks elsucio, I did not know that I could get it done at the new garden. That's perfect, since that is where I will be staying.

I never got the chance to eat here, but, i ran into the owner of this resturant called Baloneys or something like that. I think its some kind of Italian resturnat and from the way everyone was talking at the poker table, is, that they make the best pizza in town. Maybe someone can confirm this or not and also correct me on the spelling of this so called pizza Italian resturante.

cainer, do you remember where this is located. If you do could you tell me how to get there from the new garden or should I just take a taxi?

curiousdude
10-29-2008, 07:23 AM
This restaurant is called La Bologna. I ate their several times on my trips in July and August after my Spanish teacher, who has lived many years in Italy, highly recommended it as the best place in town for pizza. The description below, from the restaurant guide at sosuanews.com, is in my view an accurate one; you will find the address and contact below as well.

http://www.sosuanews.com/restaurantguide/imagenes/bologna.jpg (http://www.sosuanews.com/restaurantguide/imagenes/bologna.jpg) Bologna restaurant is a popular Italian run restaurant with a wood pizza oven and air conditioned room which seats about 20 with very comfortable seating. There is an extensive menu of Italian dishes with antipasti, Pasta, Pasta Fresca, Carnes, Pesce and of course, Pizza.
Open for lunch and dinner from 12:00 noon to 11:00 pm. The restaurant also do take-out off the same menu including Scagnozzi or pizza bread sandwiches. The pizzas are especially good and value for money.
There is a reasonable selection of Italian wines on the wine list and wine by the glass is reasonably priced.
The restaurant has a comfortable atmosphere and is popular. The food is well presented with good service and prices are in the medium range. Prices on the menu are inclusive of tax but 10% will be added to the bill for gratuities.
Staff speak English Italian and Spanish.
Bologna is situated at the of Calle Alejo Martinez #33 Sosúa, some distance past Casa Marina Reef resort walking out of the centre. Parking can be found in the road outside.
Reservations are not generally needed but for special events and big parties contact on Tel No: 809 571 1454.

Updated 31st March 2008

ErikS
10-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Club Residential has a Lavanderea (Laundry) that is open to the public. The entrance is right off Calle Pedro Clisante on the side of Club Residenial closest to the Hotel Europa.

The prices are listed right on the door. Their most expensive service (wash, dry, fold) is 150 pesos per load. If you drop it off by noon, it is usually ready the same day.
They are closed Sundays and only open a half day on Saturday. Mon-Fri they close at 6pm.

Kevy
10-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Club Residential has a Lavanderea (Laundry) that is open to the public. The entrance is right off Calle Pedro Clisante on the side of Club Residenial closest to the Hotel Europa.

The prices are listed right on the door. Their most expensive service (wash, dry, fold) is 150 pesos per load. If you drop it off by noon, it is usually ready the same day.
They are closed Sundays and only open a half day on Saturday. Mon-Fri they close at 6pm.

I always brought my laundry there with no problems, except my old british butler couldn't do his job properly:wink:

JuanElGriego
10-29-2008, 09:26 PM
The laundromat especially comes in handy for people like me who do 9-10 day stays in Sosua. I pack underwear and stuff for 5 days and just get it washed halfway thru my vacation. I go to the lady up a block from New Garden (used to be called "more sheaper") and drop it off in the morning before heading to the beach and pick it up in the afternoon coming back from the beach. Can't beat it.

Jimmydr
10-30-2008, 07:49 AM
The laundromat especially comes in handy for people like me who do 9-10 day stays in Sosua. I pack underwear and stuff for 5 days and just get it washed halfway thru my vacation. I go to the lady up a block from New Garden (used to be called "more sheaper") and drop it off in the morning before heading to the beach and pick it up in the afternoon coming back from the beach. Can't beat it.

She is very good.

MrHappy
11-05-2008, 03:03 PM
There was a write up today on the Sosuanews website about the Orchidee.

http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=1598&article=1

Besides good food, it sounds like it would be a nice place to rent a room too. Can't beat the price!!

And I like quiet places.

Here's the hotel website, in German: http://www.hotelorchidee.ch/

eastcoastallstar
11-09-2008, 01:18 AM

I use the same lady. Perfect for either mid vacation or right before you leave.

elsucio
11-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I use the same lady. Perfect for either mid vacation or right before you leave.

Exactly, i used to have her was my stuff just before i return that way all my shit is clean when i return, i hate draggin home a bunch of dirty clothes.

Cheeno
11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey guys,

I am wondering if anybody knows if Sosua has a laundry service. If they do, does anyone know the reliability, cost, and turn around time?

Plus, I would like to know if you all have some restaurant recommendations. I have read that Rocky's, El Toro Steak House, La Rocca, and Bailey's are good. Plus mixed reviews about Morua Mai. Any suggestion, recommendations, warnings, and review would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Hello sota :smile:

In order to start your day full of energy, you need a very nice breakfast. I recommend Rocky's. 105 pesos for a nice large breakfast and unlimited coffee.

Rocky's
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68567

Citynights
11-10-2008, 01:21 AM
If you are staying at the New Garden....turn right walk to corner where the ice cream store is ....walk across the street go down about 3rd store front the laundry mat is there...

elsucio
11-10-2008, 07:29 AM
If you are staying at the New Garden....turn right walk to corner where the ice cream store is ....walk across the street go down about 3rd store front the laundry mat is there...

And if you keep walking straight ahead to where the road ends on the right is the Waterfront Hotel which which has a very good breakfast as well, great view to relax and enjoy your breakfast and coffee

Young Hero
11-10-2008, 08:31 AM
I heard two things concerning the Waterfront during my visit.
1. The restaurant was closed for renovations.
2. I later heard they were open, but no longer served Breakfast. What a bummer if true.
Sorry, but I wasn't able to confirm either.

elsucio
11-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I heard two things concerning the Waterfront during my visit.
1. The restaurant was closed for renovations.
2. I later heard they were open, but no longer served Breakfast. What a bummer if true.
Sorry, but I wasn't able to confirm either.

I will be there in 3 weeks and have to check it out, maybe Tropicbob will ring in as he is there now and we have shared a couple of breakfasts there.Would be a shame, to me there is no comparision between Rocky's or Waterfront, Waterfront was always my preference.

sota
11-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the advice you have given me. It helped me out during my first trip to the DR. I could not believe how close everything was.

Thanks again,

Sota :smile: