PDA

View Full Version : Made Reservations...A question...

shredder
11-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Hi,
This is my first trip to Sosua/POP. I arrive Nov 23 and return Dec 4. I have made reservations at The New Garden for the first 7 nights. After lurking and reading for the past month, this seems to be the best way for a newbie to break in and have some others around for suggestions and advice.

Besides the usual mongering activities, I'm interested to get to know Puerto Plata and other nearby towns. I'm thinking of staying the last 4 nights in Puerto Plata and was thinking of staying at Blackbeard's but I'm open to any suggestions on other places to stay.

Are there any special events planned at NG or BB's during my stay that I should know about like the famous bikini contests?

Please pile on the advice and suggestions.

weyland
11-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Besides the usual mongering activities, I'm interested to get to know Puerto Plata and other nearby towns. I'm thinking of staying the last 4 nights in Puerto Plata and was thinking of staying at Blackbeard's but I'm open to any suggestions on other places to stay.

Blackbeard's is a good choice for newbies though you might find it a bit claustrophobic after spending your first week in Sosúa. Possibly better the other way round.

If you want to "get to know Puerto Plata" you cannot beat staying at Dominican Billy's (Harbor View Condos).
http://harborviewcondos.4t.com/

MrHappy
11-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Blackbeard's is a good choice for newbies though you might find it a bit claustrophobic after spending your first week in Sosúa. Possibly better the other way round.

If you want to "get to know Puerto Plata" you cannot beat staying at Dominican Billy's (Harbor View Condos).

I agree 100%. And if you don't have reservations already at Blackbeards, you may not get a room.

It's not unusual for them to be running at 100% occupancy.

You should be looking at doing Blackbeards first, then Sosua.

Jimmydr
11-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Hi,
This is my first trip to Sosua/POP. I arrive Nov 23 and return Nov 4. I have made reservations at The New Garden for the first 7 nights. After lurking and reading for the past month, this seems to be the best way for a newbie to break in and have some others around for suggestions and advice.

Are there any special events planned at NG or BB's during my stay that I should know about like the famous bikini contests?

Please pile on the advice and suggestions.

There may be well over 30 ISOC guys around during this month, maybe more.

Beads
11-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Id say stick to the Sosua for 7 days and then head over to Harbor View for the rest of the time and stay at Billy's. It will give you the direct contact with the town of POP you mentioned you want. If you stay at BBs youll see the inside of a resort in Costumbar and not much else unless you have transportation on your own.

smoky1985
11-06-2008, 11:22 AM
im trying to make reservations at NG but where do you do it?
I dont see anywhere on the site to do it.
I am planning on being there the 25th of november through the 2nd of december.

thanks

shredder
11-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Here is the website link...there is a contact link on it.

http://www.newgardenhotel.net/eng/default.htm

smoky1985
11-06-2008, 12:19 PM
ok thanks
I did that yesterday but have not heard back. I will give it a few more days to hear back.
Thought mabey there was another webpage to make reservations or a number to do it.

the_Jayman
11-06-2008, 05:42 PM

NOBODY IS BETTER THAN BILLY & CHRIS ! ! !

Fantastic Hosts who go way above and beyond the call of duty to make sure their guest have a GREAT trip . . .

Black Beard's is fun also tho rather expensive . . .

The Saturday after Thanksgiving should be a Bikini party @ Black Beards . . .

If there's room @ the Inn and in the Budget . . . you'll have a great time @ Black Beards.

BCell
11-06-2008, 06:18 PM
how's your spanish?

Ter319
11-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Im spending my second thanksgiving weekend Blackbeards, had a great time last year met alot of nice people and hope a few make it back again for a return visit. BB's has its Bikini contest that Saturday Nov 29 it would make a good day for you there,usually starts around 4pm, almost all the girls that work there are usually present at the contests and are available. If you hadn't made a reservation for BB's , its probably booked solid I had made my reservation back in Sept, good luck on your first trip you will become addicted. IT WILL BE THE CLOSEST YOU WILL EVER GET TO LIVING THE ROCK STAR LIFE!!!

shredder
11-06-2008, 11:24 PM
I speak spanish fairly well...problem is people hear me speak and think I'm fluent and then start speaking faster than I can listen.

carolinajack
11-07-2008, 06:49 AM
A massage at KIKI's just above Lou's Shark Bar - ask for Janet - no BJ - no Happy ending - just a very sweet girl who'll make sure all your tensions are gone...500 RD

If you're looking for a really great dinner - CASA VALERIA - right next to NG...this is a place to go if you hookup with a really special chica and want a break from the clubs and bars...candlelit atmosphere

LA LOCA VACHE is another great place to eat - French owned I think...but some great pizza - good place to hang at with a few ISOC guys for dinner or again a nice spot with the right chica...it's just down from Classicos on the opposite side - lots of restaurants on that strip

smoky1985
11-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I dont speak any spanish but I will be ok. BB has double deluxe available but I decided to stay at NG in there new rooms. I have alreay talked to Wilfried and making reservations. I will be there 11/26-12/3, I am sure there will be some ISOC guys there for thanksgiving I can hang with and get the lay of the land since it I will be a first time to the DR!

Well Shredder you will be there a couple days before me so hopefully you have a good idea of the area so you can share with me?!

weyland
11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
I dont speak any spanish but I will be ok. BB has double deluxe available but I decided to stay at NG in there new rooms. I have alreay talked to Wilfried and making reservations. I will be there 11/26-12/3, I am sure there will be some ISOC guys there for thanksgiving I can hang with and get the lay of the land since it I will be a first time to the DR!

Well Shredder you will be there a couple days before me so hopefully you have a good idea of the area so you can share with me?!
Well done, Smoky! You will have a great time, especially if you have read up here first.

smoky1985
11-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Wilfried confirmed my reservations today so I am good to go.
I have done so much research on here!!

Anyone have any idea where I can stuff my face for thanksgiving while I am there?

smoky1985
11-07-2008, 01:19 PM
I read that it is quite a walk from the airport to the street for a taxi.
What do you mean by how far?
I dont mind the walk but what transportation is waiting right outside the airport I can grab?

thanks

weyland
11-07-2008, 01:32 PM
I dont mind the walk but what transportation is waiting right outside the airport I can grab?

thanks
Depends what luggage you have and what budget you are on. If every peso is important and you have only hand luggage you could walk about one kilometre to the main road and catch a (very frequent) publico (shared taxi) into Sosúa for around 30 pesos (one dollar). But given you have just had a longish trip and it may be very hot you may not wish to squash into one of those on arrival (though I do recommend the experience later). Plus you will have to walk another half-mile at the other end.

Better to take a private taxi from the Airport itself for $X (help me out here guys!) door-to-door.

Summit
11-07-2008, 01:47 PM
20$ no more some will ask 25 just walk and they will say ok 20 and off you go. ps have fun...

smoky1985
11-07-2008, 02:20 PM
thanks guys

Choirboy
11-07-2008, 02:22 PM

thanks

As others have said, it is $20 bucks for a taxi. The best idea is to have Wilfried send a taxi for you. More than likely there will be others being picked up and you can split the cost.

smoky1985
11-07-2008, 02:31 PM
did not know he did that.
I will contact him and ask, thanks for the headsup!!!!!!!!!

shredder
11-07-2008, 08:11 PM
All right Smokey...Kind of nice to know there'll be another newbie there with me. That way we can ask stupid questions together.:biggrin: I'll look for you on the 26th. Maybe we can do some exploring together. Though a soapie at Passions is first on my priority list, I'd like to venture around and see some of the nearby towns and sites.

Jimmydr
11-07-2008, 08:15 PM
All right Smokey...Kind of nice to know there'll be another newbie there with me. That way we can ask stupid questions together.:biggrin: I'll look for you on the 26th. Maybe we can do some exploring together. Though a soapie at Passions is first on my priority list, I'd like to venture around and see some of the nearby towns and sites.

There might be 20 ISOC guys there. You may find your wingman for your next 20 trips there.

the_Jayman
11-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Go drink with Lou . . . he'll buy you a shot ! ! !

eldorob
11-09-2008, 11:48 AM
As others have said, it is $20 bucks for a taxi. .

I think it's $25 now POP to Sosua....that's what BigDave and I got charged last trip. BigDave did the negotiating, hope we didn't get scammed...:rolleyes:

Jimmydr
11-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Its well worth it, after all, its 3.5 miles to Sosua from the airport.

Choirboy
11-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I think it's $25 now POP to Sosua....that's what BigDave and I got charged last trip. BigDave did the negotiating, hope we didn't get scammed...:rolleyes:

If you are staying at the New Garden, it is still $20. Just have Wilfried send Silvio with his van.

elsucio
11-09-2008, 02:25 PM
If you are staying at the New Garden, it is still $20. Just have Wilfried send Silvio with his van.

Silvio will charge $20 but the taxis out front all seem to want $25 now

cainer
11-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Silvio will charge $20 but the taxis out front all seem to want $25 now

Thats what they wanted when gas was double the price. Just say

solo tengo $20 dolares, no mas, es suffieciente, ok? They will take it, if not, go to the next one.

elsucio
11-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Thats what they wanted when gas was double the price. Just say

solo tengo $20 dolares, no mas, es suffieciente, ok? They will take it, if not, go to the next one.

Yes, true, that was when gas was over $4 a gallon here,I speak passable spanish and can negotiate but at that time they were fairly adamant, but you are right they have no doubt come back down in prices

Jimbo44
11-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Maybe I will see u on Sun 23rd, as i will be leaving later in the day!

shredder
11-12-2008, 03:05 AM
My plane arrives POP at 1:50pm.

smoky1985
11-12-2008, 02:37 PM
My plane arrives 455pm on the 26th.
Passion is a given of course. I do know I am going to hit the beach and see how much talent I can get there but other than that Im all about exploring for snapper!
I just got one of wilfried's new rooms confirmed!!!
CANT WAIT!!!

cainer
11-12-2008, 05:41 PM
shredder and smokey. When are your dates in Sosua?

I just booked a flight for a week, arriving on the first of Dec.

If u guys are around at that time and are in need of a cold presidente, let me know.

Im going to try and stay at Seabreeze. Where u guys staying?

Elsucio??? Didnt i read u were also going to be around at this time?

Ill be there solo.

elsucio
11-12-2008, 05:54 PM
shredder and smokey. When are your dates in Sosua?

I just booked a flight for a week, arriving on the first of Dec.

If u guys are around at that time and are in need of a cold presidente, let me know.

Im going to try and stay at Seabreeze. Where u guys staying?

Elsucio??? Didnt i read u were also going to be around at this time?

Ill be there solo.

Dec 4-11, staying at NG

cainer
11-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Dec 4-11, staying at NG

cool, ill be there for your first three days, hope to meet up over a cool one. My treat

elsucio
11-12-2008, 10:09 PM
cool, ill be there for your first three days, hope to meet up over a cool one. My treat

I'll be at Cuba Libre around 8 on the night of Dec 4 and hanging round pool and some days at Passions during the days. Hope to see you there

smoky1985
11-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Ill be there the 26th through the 3rd of december and I am staying at the New garden!
SOUnds good!!

cainer
11-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Ill be there the 26th through the 3rd of december and I am staying at the New garden!
SOUnds good!!
ill come down to the new garden and introduce myself.

Ive never been to the New Garden and ive never even actually seen it(otehr then from the outside) but, i am assuming i can come inside to the pool area as a guest(the chicas can, i must be able to as well:))

have a great first few days before i get there. Save a few good chicas for me also. Hope to sipp a cold one and talk about how your trip is going so far when i get there.

kingclave
11-18-2008, 11:23 PM
I'll be there from 11/27 to 12/2 staying at trade winds hope to catch the bikini contes at BB's and visit some near by towns

smoky1985
11-23-2008, 01:13 PM
3 more days and I will be sitting poolside at the NG with a beer and a chica!!

Wilfried is sending a taxi to pick me up for $20.

Jimmydr
11-23-2008, 01:17 PM

Hope to see a trip report about it.

psriches
11-23-2008, 01:57 PM

Wilfried is sending a taxi to pick me up for $20.Aren't the hundreds of taxis waiting at the airport $20??? Or did it go up?

Jimmydr
11-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Aren't the hundreds of taxis waiting at the airport $20??? Or did it go up?

I think it was noted that it went up to $25 recently. Thats a rippoff. 5 minutes for $25.

psriches
11-23-2008, 02:01 PM
I think it was noted that it went up to $25 recently. Thats a rippoff. 5 minutes for $25.A car rental for a day (including insurance) is the same price.

Jimmydr
11-23-2008, 02:03 PM
A car rental for a day (including insurance) is the same price.

A car rental is more than worth it for a 3 day gettaway.

psriches
11-23-2008, 02:06 PM
A car rental is more than worth it for a 3 day gettaway.I would say so as well; especially if you're telling me airport transportation is $50 now.

Jimmydr
11-23-2008, 02:08 PM
I would say so as well; especially if you're telling me airport transportation is $50 now.

It looks like its $50 RT. If two guys rented a car, it would be a bargin. Plus they could check out Blackbeards and Puerto Plata as a bonus.

psriches
11-23-2008, 02:23 PM
I remember when you used to sling your back pack on and walk up to the main road and catch a local cab.

I think that saved you at least 2 bbbj's.......

smoky1985
11-23-2008, 03:43 PM
I will be sure to leave a trip report on here.
50$ is not that big of a deal, just one less chica.
Plus everyone says NG is close to everything. So I can walk. Plus I am sure guys are always splitting cabs around town. Plus you got to remember you have the rental car fee plus refuling it.
Also being my first time there be more comfortable having him send me a taxi the first time.

eldorob
11-23-2008, 03:55 PM
I
Also being my first time there be more comfortable having him send me a taxi the first time.

Smart move - it's best to sit and watch to get a feel for how they drive down there. The motoconche guys are flying all over and around you. And if you even just bump into one, it will cost you plenty of cash, regardless of your insurance. And regardless as to who's fault it was.

Have a safe trip...

psriches
11-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Plus everyone says NG is close to everything. So I can walk. Plus I am sure guys are always splitting cabs around town. Plus you got to remember you have the rental car fee plus refuling it.
Also being my first time there be more comfortable having him send me a taxi the first time.Do what's comfortable for you.

Jimmy and I were just going back and forth more about the inflated airport taxi rate. That was more our topic than endorsing car rental.

carolinajack
11-23-2008, 05:37 PM

Defintely your best bet for a first time trip...you'll quickly see
that EVERYTHING is within walking distance of the NG. The only
places that are a bit of an extended walk...LaPassions, and the CL bar which is about 3 blocks down from LPs. During the day the longest
walk(s)...to the market for room supplies; the beach.

smoky1985
11-23-2008, 06:25 PM
i lived in the marshall islands for almost 2 years so im used to the humid warm weather. So I dont mind walking here and there to get to places. If I end up being there longer than a wk I will just by a bicycle to get around to short distances.
I miss the warm humid weather, its cold and miserable here in the states. Cant wait to get to the nice climate!!!

smoky1985
11-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Almost forgot is there a gym close to the NG?

weyland
11-23-2008, 06:55 PM
I will just by a bicycle to get around to short distances.

This comment reminded me how very rare it is to see anyone on a bicycle in either Sosúa or Puerto Plata, especially considering it is a cheap mode of transport and much of the area is reasonably flat.

I have seen a few gringo health nuts cycling along the Malecon in Puerto Plata, but that's about it. I have hardly ever seen a Dominican on a bicycle in the seven months (in total) I have spent on the North Coast.

Jimmydr
11-23-2008, 07:04 PM

Whats $50 a trip for 45 trips, only 2 more trips.:eek:

cainer
11-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Whats $50 a trip for 45 trips, only 2 more trips.:eek:

What happens if he gets in an accident in the DR and for some odd reason he has to fork out $2000. Even with insurance. Thats 2 less trips now:)

Jimmydr
11-24-2008, 03:32 AM
What happens if he gets in an accident in the DR and for some odd reason he has to fork out $2000. Even with insurance. Thats 2 less trips now:)

Many of us never been in accidents there. Its a risk.

lr444
11-24-2008, 10:06 AM

Have been there done & that.
12:30 pm Hit a deep crater in the road tier blew out, went off the road
A big coconut tree stop the car from going into the ocean totaled the car
2 detectives in a jeep showed up asked if I was ok (couple of cuts) but alive.
after contacting a family member to come over and give me a hand waited around for 1 1/2 hour for the tow truck (pretty good for a tow truck) the detectives asked my family member for money because they helped me ended up giving each a couple hundred paso for there helpthey were very happy.
Seen them two weeks later they acted like they were long time friends.

eldorob
11-24-2008, 07:02 PM

No accidents down there, but some close calls. Both on bikes and in cars.

I stopped renting bikes.