PDA

View Full Version : New study explores alcohol use and HIV risk in the Dominican Republic

gmalet
11-17-2008, 09:22 AM
New study explores alcohol use and HIV risk in the Dominican Republic

NEW YORK, USA: Associate professor Vincent Guilamo-Ramos of the Columbia University School of Social Work and assistant professor Mark Padilla of the University of Michigan School of Public Health have been awarded a $430,000 grant from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

The grant will be used to develop a venue-based alcohol and HIV-prevention intervention for adults in the Dominican Republic (DR).

Among the countries in the Caribbean, DR has one of the highest rates of HIV infection. Sex tourism – tourism in which sexual exchanges with locals are a prominent feature and common motive for travel – has been the key factor in the region’s HIV epidemic. The growth of the tourism economy has also fueled the country’s rise of alcohol consumption.

High-use alcohol venues such as bars, discos, hotels, and nightclubs have expanded their supply and availability of alcohol to support the tourist industry. Many of these venues also operate as informal brothels, consequently presenting increased opportunities for HIV-related sexual risk behaviors among tourists, local tourist workers and commercial sex workers.

The proposed study will examine the relationship and emerging problem between tourism, alcohol abuse and sexual risk behavior in the DR to develop effective HIV-prevention interventions in high-use alcohol venues. Research will be conducted in the town of Sosúa, a major international tourist destination dubbed as a “sexscape” due to the prominence of sex tourism in the local economy.

“This study moves beyond research focusing exclusively on the characteristics of presumably distinct risk populations, such as sex workers, to focus instead on identifying the features of venues that are salient in creating a synergy between alcohol use and HIV risk in tourism areas,” says Dr Guilamo-Ramos. “In doing so, we hope to develop targeted, culturally-appropriate, applied public health interventions for alcohol users.”

Guilamo-Ramos and Padilla will also collaborate with professor Yoanis Ferreira Rodríguez Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo Recinto Puerto Plata and Dr James Jaccard, professor of psychology at Florida International University.

FnB
11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
HEY fellas don't forget your safe sex kits. Been mongering for years, always carry with me 3-4 dozen condoms (favored,lube & non lube), dental dams ( for times of daty), latex gloves, lube,toys with alcohol, anti-bacteria spray ( can get from Magellans travel kits)and hydro-peroxide to pour over your dick afterward.

SEEMS LIKE A LOT, but I can carry all that stuff in a little pouch and leave it by the bed side.I have a good time and leave the diseases there.:-)

dijinn
11-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Friends

With these stupid studies, I hope not DR will impose restrictions on mongering..:confused:

dijinn
11-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Worf

What does hydrogen peroxide do? Can you elaborate?

FnB
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Worf

What does hydrogen peroxide do? Can you elaborate?
For example; you cut yourself and pour HP in to the wound, it bubbles up white in the cut to disinfect immediately.
Told to me from third year medical residents, cheap and less painful way (less painful then rubbing alcohol) for cleaning the skin or a cut.

Hydrogen peroxide has been used as an antiseptic and anti-bacterial agent for many years due to its oxidizing effect. While its use has decreased in recent years with the popularity of better-smelling and more readily-available over the counter products, it is still used by many hospitals, doctors and dentists in sterilizing, cleaning and treating everything from floors to root canal procedures.

jensenspecial
11-17-2008, 04:44 PM
New study explores alcohol use and HIV risk in the Dominican Republic

NEW YORK, USA: Associate professor Vincent Guilamo-Ramos of the Columbia University School of Social Work and assistant professor Mark Padilla of the University of Michigan School of Public Health have been awarded a $430,000 grant from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

The grant will be used to develop a venue-based alcohol and HIV-prevention intervention for adults in the Dominican Republic (DR).

Among the countries in the Caribbean, DR has one of the highest rates of HIV infection. Sex tourism – tourism in which sexual exchanges with locals are a prominent feature and common motive for travel – has been the key factor in the region’s HIV epidemic. The growth of the tourism economy has also fueled the country’s rise of alcohol consumption.

High-use alcohol venues such as bars, discos, hotels, and nightclubs have expanded their supply and availability of alcohol to support the tourist industry. Many of these venues also operate as informal brothels, consequently presenting increased opportunities for HIV-related sexual risk behaviors among tourists, local tourist workers and commercial sex workers.

The proposed study will examine the relationship and emerging problem between tourism, alcohol abuse and sexual risk behavior in the DR to develop effective HIV-prevention interventions in high-use alcohol venues. Research will be conducted in the town of Sosúa, a major international tourist destination dubbed as a “sexscape” due to the prominence of sex tourism in the local economy.

“This study moves beyond research focusing exclusively on the characteristics of presumably distinct risk populations, such as sex workers, to focus instead on identifying the features of venues that are salient in creating a synergy between alcohol use and HIV risk in tourism areas,” says Dr Guilamo-Ramos. “In doing so, we hope to develop targeted, culturally-appropriate, applied public health interventions for alcohol users.”

Guilamo-Ramos and Padilla will also collaborate with professor Yoanis Ferreira Rodríguez Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo Recinto Puerto Plata and Dr James Jaccard, professor of psychology at Florida International University.

what a whole bunch of bullshit !!!

HAMMERHEAD
11-17-2008, 05:40 PM
what a whole bunch of bullshit !!!

Hey Peter.....

I understand why you might think this is bullshit, but the fact of the

matter is, this is a wide spread problem not only in D.R. but WORLDWIDE.

when people drink they loose there inhibitions and get do stupid, and do stupid shit (ie) .....

going raw dog with some puta.....

it happens all the time maybe not as much in the monger world but it happens....

these guy may indeed waste a lot of the 430 grand, but if the information can help one person from getting infected then it's worth it.....

hopefully one day H.I.V. will be a thing of the past like polio....

MrHappy
11-18-2008, 10:05 AM
For example; you cut yourself and pour HP in to the wound, it bubbles up white in the cut to disinfect immediately.
Told to me from third year medical residents, cheap and less painful way (less painful then rubbing alcohol) for cleaning the skin or a cut.

Hydrogen peroxide has been used as an antiseptic and anti-bacterial agent for many years due to its oxidizing effect. While its use has decreased in recent years with the popularity of better-smelling and more readily-available over the counter products, it is still used by many hospitals, doctors and dentists in sterilizing, cleaning and treating everything from floors to root canal procedures.

I love to pour it in my ears to clean them.. Fizzes like Alka Selzer, and gets them super clean.

The fizzing works all the crap out of your ears. Excellent stuff.

eldorob
11-18-2008, 06:03 PM
I love to pour it in my ears to clean them.. Fizzes like Alka Selzer, and gets them super clean.

The fizzing works all the crap out of your ears. Excellent stuff.

I did not know that - amazing what you can learn here...:rolleyes:

I always keep a bottle in the house for getting blood out of clothes or cleaning a wound.

jensenspecial
11-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Hey Peter.....

I understand why you might think this is bullshit, but the fact of the

matter is, this is a wide spread problem not only in D.R. but WORLDWIDE.

when people drink they loose there inhibitions and get do stupid, and do stupid shit (ie) .....

going raw dog with some puta.....

it happens all the time maybe not as much in the monger world but it happens....

these guy may indeed waste a lot of the 430 grand, but if the information can help one person from getting infected then it's worth it.....

hopefully one day H.I.V. will be a thing of the past like polio....

been living in the biggest whorehouse without a roof for 20 years and I do not know ANYBODY who died of Aids....and that is a fact

MrHappy
11-19-2008, 09:53 AM
been living in the biggest whorehouse without a roof for 20 years and I do not know ANYBODY who died of Aids....and that is a fact

Well Peter, you're a good friend, but I have to disagree with you. Well, not disagree, but at least offer a different viewpoint.

Girls go through your town like a hot knife through butter, and you probably keep up with less than 1% of those girls once they leave town.
And, you'll never know WHY they left town.

Now, I'm not saying they all leave town because they got sick, but I'd be willing to suggest that if a girl DID get sick, she'd leave town without telling anyone why.

But I have to believe what I've been told by volunteer foreign nurses I've met that work in the public clinics where the girls go when they get sick.

The reactions they get from girls when they are told they have AIDS, is scary.

Many just get up and run out, others refuse to believe it, some cry uncontrollably, still others refuse to tell thier partners for fear of retaliation. An AIDS diagnosis here is still, unforntunately, a death sentence for these girls.

I've personally known 3 girls who have died from AIDS, two from the Cabrera area. One of them, upon being diagnosed, took it upon herself to have uncovered sex with as many men that she could, to "pay them back for what they did to her"

Who knows how many men she may have infected?

weyland
11-19-2008, 10:43 AM
What you really mean is that you do not know that anyone you have known has died of AIDs. That is a very different thing. I am not specifically aware that any of the thousands of people I have met in my life in the UK have died of AIDs, but I can be fairly sure that some of them have.

AIDs sufferers will typically withdraw from the public gaze, especially in backward, bigoted, hypocritical and tragically under-resourced countries like the DR and they will not advertise their reason for doing so.

jensenspecial
11-19-2008, 12:23 PM
how many have died of cancer or were run over by a truck...I really do question the sources of the studies ...it is all made up...just like about the bullshit numbers of HIV they publish about Africa...of course everybody should use a condom but to make such a hype of it has way different intentions..
just my 2 senses

Train Kept a Rollin2000
12-15-2008, 06:24 PM

Read the article again. The article doesn't talk about AIDS deaths it talks about HIV. A person can have HIV for a very long time before going into the next stage of full blown AIDS. Besides, you are too biased about this topic - it's in your interest that people not be afraid of HIV.

carolinajack
12-15-2008, 08:00 PM
I've personally known 3 girls who have died from AIDS, two from the Cabrera area. One of them, upon being diagnosed, took it upon herself to have uncovered sex with as many men that she could, to "pay them back for what they did to her"

Who knows how many men she may have infected?

I can't tell you how many times I've heard payback stories; some guy or woman who feels like they need to "Fuck the world" back for their condition...scary...when you think those are just the ones you hear about.

Don Tomas
12-15-2008, 10:10 PM

Lust also has the same effect. Let's ban Lust people! We need to get our drug companies on this IMMEDIATELY!

Don Tomas
12-15-2008, 10:11 PM
I really do question the sources of the studies ...it is all made up...just like about the bullshit numbers of HIV they publish about Africa...

Peter remember the old saying...

There are 3 types of lies; Lies, Damn Lies, & Statistics!

Tony Badabing
12-16-2008, 02:10 AM

The fizzing works all the crap out of your ears. Excellent stuff

No wonder your alway's HAPPY:wink:http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/images/posticons/lol.gif