PDA

View Full Version : Planning trip..where to go?

J & C
05-26-2006, 12:32 AM
What's up fellas,

So I've navigated the board and have received a ton of info. Now there is a similar thread below, but I want to ask these specific questions for a 1st timer going solo:

1. Europa or the Palace (and why)?
2. STI or POP (and how long to reach either from there)?
3. Is it cool to even go solo on your first trip there?

Any other pertinent info yall would care to share would be greatly appreciated for a newbie trying to spend a few days in the DR!

sicpup71
05-26-2006, 02:40 AM
1. Europa or the Palace (and why)? need to know what kind of place your looking for . both are good and both are bad,if you know what i mean. Europa is right on the strip where the Palace is a few blocks away and 1 block of the strip.if your looking for a real nice place then these 2 place's won't do. good thing about the PALACE is if john's around you can get some good info from him about whats going on around town

2. STI or POP (and how long to reach either from there) where are u flying from??if you can get a direct flight to POP go there it's about 15-20 min out of town ,where STI is 1 1/2 -2 hrs away.

3. Is it cool to even go solo on your first trip there? YOUR NEVER ALONE !!! LOL someone is always in town, check the ISOC Event Calendar for the time your looking to go and see who'll be there . THE SHARK BAR AND ROCKY'S are place's where you'll find guys at.

hope that helps.and have a great trip.

Jimmydr
05-26-2006, 07:44 AM
I prefer meeting up with 2 or more ISOC guys. Adds lots to the mix.

the_Jayman
05-26-2006, 04:23 PM
1. The Palace Hotel and Ballroom.

2. if alone POP for sure ! !

3. What sicpup said . . . I LOVE SOSUA ! !

Beads
05-26-2006, 04:35 PM
yea what they said! when you going?

J & C
05-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Cool. I'm trying for sometime in July, probably late July.

TG37
05-27-2006, 03:06 PM

going to be huge crew of us down for the 4th !

Beads
05-27-2006, 03:07 PM
ye first week of July would be a smart move. youll save countless days of learning the area and how things work by being with veterans.

ErikS
05-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I've made 13 trips so far to the DR and, except for one trip, I've always traveled solo. Never a problem.

You can stay a "lurker" in Sosua and still have a great time with the chicas. But if your also looking to occassionally BS with some like minded guys, you won't have any problems meeting people. Stop by the Shark Bar, or Hermans, or Rockys, or many other places and you'll be sure to meet some of "us".

My first trip to Sosua I stayed at Rockys. I've also stayed at the Europa 4-5 times. Neither is a great hotel by US standards, but they are both excellent for a first trip. Trust me, they will facilitate your orientation to the area.

The POP airport is only 10-15 minutes from Sosua (don't pay more than $20 for a cab.....$15 is more like it), so if you can fly there for a reasonable cost (and maybe even non-stop), do it.

STI is a crazy 90 minute (and $60-$80) cab ride away. Nice scenary, but some are hesitant to make the trip at night. A cheaper alternative is to take the CaribeTours bus, but that is probably too complicated for your first trip.
Flying out of NYC, there are many more flights to STI than POP. AND they are usally cheaper. If you do fly into STI, don't hesitate to ask fellow gringo looking people on board if they would like to split a cab to Sosua.

Enjoy your trip (that's a given!), and let us know how it went when you get back.

Apos
05-27-2006, 08:07 PM
ErikS gives excellent advice. i agree and i always stay with Marco from Rocky's. he also has condos available at a very reasonable price and will help you out for sure.

http://www.rockysbar.com/
my 8th trip is in 33 days!:corky:

gdogg
05-28-2006, 02:07 AM
I co-sign with Erik's response. Most of my trips have been solo, but you're never alone. You won't understand that until after your first trip, I know I didn't. But don't worry, you'll have a great time! If you don't meet up with any ISOC brothers, just stop by Rocky's and see Marco...or go to the Shark Bar and see Lou. They'll point you in the right direction.

weyland
05-28-2006, 06:02 AM
If you can be there first week of July you will meet a crowd of experienced and very helpful guys. If you arrive end of July you can meet ... me! I am neither experienced nor helpful, just a grumpy geriatric apprentice monger on only his third trip but maybe we could meet for a drink and have a laugh at each other's mistakes.

Anyway, I hope you have a great trip and post detailed reports with many obscene pictures. You could shame some of the more experienced members here by including chicas' names and prices paid in your reports.

J & C
05-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the responses! Yeah, one thing I noticed is flights are generally cheaper out of STI. I will definetly keep you guys informed. BTW, for those that have been there, how is DR compared to Costa Rica in your opinion? I have been to CR and think it's great. But from what I am gathering, it does not compare to Sosua!

Jimmydr
05-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the responses! Yeah, one thing I noticed is flights are generally cheaper out of STI. I will definetly keep you guys informed. BTW, for those that have been there, how is DR compared to Costa Rica in your opinion? I have been to CR and think it's great. But from what I am gathering, it does not compare to Sosua!

I have been to both and it seems I am the only one that likes DR better.

elsucio
05-28-2006, 07:43 PM
No Jimmy, you are not the only to prefer the DR. I too have been to both on many occasions and i too prefer the DR. Don't get me wrong CR can be a blast and i always have fun, and will continue to go on occasions but i have found the people in the DR to be friendlier, and i really like chillin on the beach and the beaches in CR cannot compare

Jimmydr
05-28-2006, 07:45 PM
No Jimmy, you are not the only to prefer the DR. I too have been to both on many occasions and i too prefer the DR. Don't get me wrong CR can be a blast and i always have fun, and will continue to go on occasions but i have found the people in the DR to be friendlier, and i really like chillin on the beach and the beaches in CR cannot compare

I enjoyed hanging with the guys from CRT board but I didn't like the prices coming out of the chicas mouths.

elsucio
05-28-2006, 07:52 PM
I enjoyed hanging with the guys from CRT board but I didn't like the prices coming out of the chicas mouths.

I hear you, you really need some good negotitating skills. But i tell you on every mongers resume should be a Friday or Saturday night at the Blue Marlin.

Jimmydr
05-29-2006, 10:46 AM
I hear you, you really need some good negotitating skills. But i tell you on every mongers resume should be a Friday or Saturday night at the Blue Marlin.

I have 9 days on my resume now.

J & C
05-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Can you guys give any input on Rocky's? Looks pretty reasonable. But I have read much less about it than the Palace and Europa.

Apos
05-29-2006, 07:57 PM
http://www.rockysbar.com/

Rocky's is a great place to stay although some find the accomodations too basic. that being said...i always stay there on at one of the Condos Marco, the owner, has to offer. there are 4 rooms, 1 has a/c and the condos all have a/c. all are reasonable prices; the rooms from $22 a day and the condos from $180 a week low season

there are 4 or 5 computers to use and free wireless if you bring a laptop. Marco recently upgraded the speed and apparantly it's quite fast now...always was broadband and adequate or better. most of the condos have wireless as well.

it's very secure at night and the location is excellent.

the restaurant is famous and justifiably so. the bar is well stocked and Ted the bartender is a great guy.

Marco is a wonderful guy, been on the island about 15 years, knows a lot and is willing to share info and help out as needed.

for me the real selling feature is the staff, Ted and Marco included, and the people that come from all over the world to meet there.

i'm biased...my 8th trip coming soon and all with Marco and the gang but it really is a great place and i'll bet you'll love it!:corky:

LM
05-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Can you guys give any input on Rocky's? Looks pretty reasonable. But I have read much less about it than the Palace and Europa.

I'll agree with Apo's. Great place to stay and eat and meet.

Apos
05-29-2006, 08:12 PM
thanks LM..it's not all that talked about on ISOC for some reason. i think many here prefer a bit more luxury...although the condos are great and some very luxurious by DR rental standards.

even if you don't stay there do come for breakfast...one of, if not, the best in town....and the nrest of the menu is excellent. i've eaten ,almost, everything on the menu...i think i've tried it all...and i've enjoyed it all. can't say that for many places.

it's really about convenience and atmosphere...and the fact that there are many interesting people that come there regularly.

it's hard to sum it up but when you hangout the a while you'll understand...and return, again and again:biggrin::bigthumbup:

LM
05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
The location more than makes up the "basic" accomodation, but I wouldn't stay there in the summer without air conditioning, the condos will fill in there. But any other time of year I wouldn't think twice about staying in one the cottages at Rocky's Blues Bar

Apos
05-29-2006, 08:21 PM
The location more than makes up the "basic" accomodation, but I wouldn't stay there in the summer without air conditioning, the condos will fill in there. But any other time of year I wouldn't think twice about staying in one the cottages at Rocky's Blues Bar

to be honest i think the accomodation is great...not fancy but the showers work, the electric is 24/7 and the beds are comfy...can't say that about many other more expensive places.

LM
05-29-2006, 08:24 PM
to be honest i think the accommodation is great...not fancy but the showers work, the electric is 24/7 and the beds are comfy...can't say that about many other more expensive places.

I still call it "basic" but with no complaints....and I like staying there.
Reminds me of home.....the bed in room #3 is mounted on cinder blocks....:D can't get anymore bachelor than that

But your right, shower that works, electricity, and in room wireless internet, can't beat it for the price

Apos
05-29-2006, 08:27 PM
I still call it "basic" but with no complaints....and I like staying there.
Reminds me of home.....the bed in room #3 is mounted on cinder blocks....:D can't get anymore bachelor than that i stayed there last trip...and laughed when i saw it but it worked great!

the rooms are basic but not that different than many of the other hotels and condos i've seen in the DR. what more could you want for $22 a night and there are a TON of benefits to staying there.

we obviously like it a lot:rolleyes::corky:

Phoenix
05-29-2006, 08:30 PM

I am looking forward to a stay at one of the condos for American Thanksgiving :D

LM
05-29-2006, 08:31 PM
I am looking forward to a stay at one of the condos for American Thanksgiving :D

You'll like it there...........

Phoenix
05-29-2006, 08:35 PM
You'll like it there...........

And if your in town we can swap some beach chicas :bigthumbup:

LM
05-29-2006, 08:36 PM
And if your in town we can swap some beach chicas :bigthumbup:

You like swapping now.......:wink: :D

Apos
05-29-2006, 08:39 PM
And if your in town we can swap some beach chicas :bigthumbup:beach chicas good:rolleyes::eek::iconTU::corky:

Phoenix
05-29-2006, 08:43 PM
beach chicas good:rolleyes::eek::iconTU::corky:

That will be my main focus in CTG :D

J & C
05-29-2006, 09:18 PM
So is the AC reasonable there? Don't really need luxury, just a place too cool out. Also, are you getting he same 'talent' around this place that you do in the others? You guys are definetly selling me on this place!

Apos
05-29-2006, 09:24 PM
So is the AC reasonable there? Don't really need luxury, just a place too cool out. Also, are you getting he same 'talent' around this place that you do in the others? You guys are definetly selling me on this place!

only 1 of the 4 rooms has a/c but all the condos do.

many, many chicas come to the restaurant to use the internet :)

THEGAME
05-29-2006, 11:04 PM
This will be my 3rd time to the D.R. in 9 Months, I'm still considered a Newbie & that's fine. I stayed @ Blackbeards in Costumbar for 4-days & Europa Hotel (Sosua) for 4- days.Many members will recomend for the first timer just go to Blackbeards & just enjoy there hospitality. I myself, wanted to try both spots.I loved Sosua & will never go back to Blackbeards, but that's just me. I'd recomend flying into "Puerto Plata" it's only like 10 -15 min from Sosua. This will make it much easier for you, when you get a better feel for the D.R. you can fly in & out of Santiago & Santo Domingo, my second time, I flew into Santo Domingo & saved about $300 dollars on my airfare, the only downside to that is a 4- hour bus ride (Caribe Tours). If it was my first time I'd stay @ the "Europa Hotel" it's right on the main strip, "The Palace" is down the street a bit & it's very dark down that road, if you choose "The Palace" I suggest getting a ride back @ night, that's just me, some guy's have been there countless times & would say your being a wimp, but I'm trying to base this on a first timer.I can't speak about "Rocky's" lodging, but I can speak about his breakfast, it can take a while to get it but, what's the big hurry, your on vacation, also @ "Rocky's & Lou's place & you'll meet some nice fellows mongers, who can give you some guidance & that's about it.

P.S. remember your the customer & if she won't take what you offer her, there's about a thousand more that will!!

"THE GAME"

Beads
05-29-2006, 11:41 PM
You do have a lot of decisions and heres my input......

Rockys-never stayed there but did see the rooms. adeqate by all means and close to where most people eat breakfast (right outside your door). They have computers you can use also and bring any camera etc peripherals as they do have usb ports on them to extract pictures etc.during the summer you will want a/c so get the room with a/c if your staying there during the summer. Generally not a huge monger hotel. you could find a monger neighbor but also some "regular" people as well. No 24/7 security guard so you can bring in however many girls you want.

Blackbeards-point and click mongering. but also your choices are limited to the girls on site if you dont want to travel to peurta plata or sosua. This can be a good thing if your going there for a first visit and not going during a time other mongers are around could be a good choice.the place is out in the middle of nowhere.The women here are screened generally by management so you shouldnt have any problems with the ladies.

Europa Hotel- right on the strip.lots of mongers around . some might be friendly some are not (from my experiences besides the people i already knew).rooms are decent and have a/c. your literally living on the strip so keep that in mind because there will be noise from time to time.You also will only be allowed to bring in 1 chica at a time as the 24/7 guard (with shotgun) is there to keep security.

Palace- you may call me biased but if im in Sosua this is where I will always stay. The rooms are decent and you have a/c. If you get a suite youll also have a living room. The penthouse has a nice jacuzzi too but this room does cost $100/night. Your at the end of the strip away from the major bars and restaurants but they are all within a 5 minute walk. you also have 24 security who keeps/checks the girls (cedula or id) and holds it as you come in. You can bring as many chicas as you want in. John the owner speaks fluent english and knows about everyone in town so hes a wealth of information.As far as this road they speak about its quite small. You can walk out of the palace and be up to the main road in about 1 minute.Would I walk this road at night? 100% yes and have done so on loads of occasions with 0 problems. If you walk up this dirt road and take a left and walk about 4 minutes away from town youll be at passions massage parler or right at the end of the street is the infamous chicken stand. Motos to/from the hotel anyplace in town run the standard 20 pesos daytime and 30-40 at night.Also this is a 100% monger hotel. Everyone you meet here is here for the same reason and everyone I saw and said hello to was friendly and interested in sharing information.

There are loads of other hotels on the main strip I have never stayed at like the romanoff etc. you can search threads and find info on those.

My suggestion for a first timer would be Blackbeards if you dont want to leave the hotel or only want to leave for day trips etc. If you want to stay just off the strip and party like a viking stay at the palace! If your looking for something a little quieter in the middle of town and plan on meeting other mongers any choice is fine.

Morpheus
07-06-2006, 10:56 AM
I stayed at the Europa my first trip, this time at Rocky's starting Sun and the recs sound great (he will pick you up from airport btw saving you about 10-15 bucks right there. Re Europa and more than one chica: no problem daytime, nighttime slip the night guard a few pesos (20) or buy him a beer or a half chicker and he will be on your side.