PDA

View Full Version : Posting from my Dubai wingman who's in Sousa now

FnB
11-23-2008, 06:48 PM
DON'T CANCEL YOUR TRIP TO DR., but be aware....
First of all, I have held on to this info because I do not want to discourage anyone from going to d. R. Or sosua. The reason I am posting it, is because is comes from a reliable source, not my own imaginings or word of mouth from other mongers. I was heavily criticized and scolded about posting vague information on sosua crime previously, and really don't need to hear all of that. I only post to help you.

The real reason to read this is to understand that you must watch out for yourself. Most likely, you will not encounter anything listed below, as the incidents are well below 1/2 of 1% of all tourists in pop and sosua.

It is important to note, that if you are visiting, and "raining money", etc. , you stand a more likely chance to be targeted. Most mongers will not ever see any evidence of anything but a great time, and my experience is that the police are on top of things there. I personally have never seen a police officer, or had anyone I know, be shaken down.

- - - FYI - - -

SOURCE: http://www.ginniebedggood.com/ginnie-bedggood-news.php

Crime Worries Expat Dominicans

Jesús Burgos, President of the Committee of Puertoplateños resident in the US, has said that many members are having second thoughts about returning to the north coast at Christmas because of the increase in crime in the DR. The Committee feels that urgent attention to the security problem is needed as crime is more likely to act as a deterrent to potential visitors than lack of infrastructure, power or water.

60% Hotel Employees Laid Off

Some 60% of employees in north coast hotels have been laid off without pay for 90 days due to a downturn in tourist numbers. Of the 12,000 hotel employees some 7000 have been sent home; some have been laid off permanently, others have been told they will be re-employed when hotel occupancy picks up again for the high season.

Migracion Against Illegal Foreigners In Puerto Plata

Regional Director of Migración, Licenciada Kenia Serrata Díaz, is advising that inspectors will be making surprise visits to foreigners living in the DR illegally. According to the Directora, this does not just apply to Haitians.

Police Kill Robbers In Sosua - Weekend News October 19th. 2008

On Tuesday at 4pm four robbers dressed in military fatigues attempted to rob a tourist gift shop in La Maranatha, Sosua as the owner was opening up after lunch. A SWAT team was passing at the time and a shootout ensued in which two of the robbers were killed, one injured and one fled.

Drive-by In Sosua

A drive-by shooting in Los Charamicos, Sosua last Monday at 8.30pm injured three people who were sitting outside their homes. The injured were hospitalised in a clinic and a hospital in Puerto Plata.

Danish Tourists Attacked In Playa Dorada Hotel - Weekend News October 26th. 2008

Two Danish tourists were robbed at gunpoint last Saturday at Viva Wyndham Tangerine Hotel, Playa Dorada. Charlotte Theigaard Nielsen, 41, and her husband Henrix Hansen were in room 5104 at 10.30 at night when three armed robbers entered and forced them to hand over the key to the room safe. The thieves stole two digital cameras, a watch, two cellphones, gold earrings, three credit cards, 500 Euros and 200 dollars and left the couple bound and gagged. A later report said Politur intended redoubling their security efforts in Playa Dorada.

Bahamian Robbed In Hotel Cayena, Sosua

Unknown robbers broke into room 15 of Hotel Cayena, Sosua and stole money and cellphones belonging to Keith Anthony Ring, a tourist from Turk Island, Bahamas, according to Puerto Plata Habla. Mr Ring was sleeping at the time. Given the fact that the victim appears to have slept through the event one wonders if there is more to this than has been reported?

Robbery Of Expat Home Sosua

Unknown assailants broke the airconditioning unit of a British expat's home in Residencial Hispaniola in Sosua in order to effect entry. According to Puerto Plata Habla, Charlie Nolloy reported that he had been robbed of a laptop computer, nintendo and other games, two flat screen TVs, a watch, gold bracelet and perfume. Residencial Hispaniola is described as a gated villa community with 24 hour security.

Canadian Resident Robbed In Sosua

First reports indicated that Fernando Poison, a Canadian businessman who rents out construction equipment, received a call early on Saturday for the hiring of some equipment. When he arrived at the location specified in Sosua he was beaten up and his truck and equipment stolen. He is currently recovering in a clinic. A later report gave the victim's name as Toison, aged 71, said that the attack took place in La Mulatta and that Mr. Toison was robbed of his vehicle, equipment, RD$50,000, cellphone and credit cards. It would appear that the robbers visited his home and when he took them to where the equipment was stored, they carried out the attack. Mr. Toison is Canadian with Dominican citizenship.

Swiss Attacked In Sosua

Swiss citizen Samuel Ernest Vutikofer, 61, a resident of Sosua, was robbed of electrical items from his home in Calle Irlanda last Tuesday and left bound hand and foot.

Not Your Average Tourist

Last weekend thieves broke into a hotel room at Caribbean Village, Playa Dorada at 7pm and stole a Smith & Wesson pistol, RD$20,000.00 and US$5,000.00. Not your average tourist

cainer
11-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Looks like things are getting worse there.

I read on dr1 that there is a scam going on in the Caberete area. Some scammers and the police are all in on it together.

What happens is that the scammer guys are going up and shaking the hands of tourists and somehow depositing drugs on them. Then the police are nearby and they do a shakedown of the tourists and pretend to discover the drugs on the person.

They are then taken to the police station and are forced to pay thousands of dollars to have the charges dropped.

Jimmydr
11-24-2008, 03:37 AM
Looks like things are getting worse there.

I read on dr1 that there is a scam going on in the Caberete area. Some scammers and the police are all in on it together.

What happens is that the scammer guys are going up and shaking the hands of tourists and somehow depositing drugs on them. Then the police are nearby and they do a shakedown of the tourists and pretend to discover the drugs on the person.

They are then taken to the police station and are forced to pay thousands of dollars to have the charges dropped.

But the President is not corrupt and he will catch wind of this and STOP it dead sooner or later.