PDA

View Full Version : Scooters or Motorcycles for rent in SD?

slipheed
11-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Does anyone know if there are scooters or motorcycles for rent in Santo Domingo? If so, where might I find them?, and whats the going rate? I'd like to have cheaper way of exploring SD when I get there.

Thanks

Jimmydr
11-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know if there are scooters or motorcycles for rent in Santo Domingo? If so, where might I find them?, and whats the going rate? I'd like to have cheaper way of exploring SD when I get there.

Thanks

A moving target for busses, trucks and cars.

Vincent Vega
11-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Honestly, I do not know of any. However, I whole heartily agree with Jimmy. If you want to be killed, ride a scooter or motorcycle in this city. On my street alone I saw two accidents in October, both with serious injury, involving a car and a motorcycle. Then, last Monday night, at about 2:00am, a delivery motorcycle was struck in front of my house and the biker was thrown into my driveway with a compound fracture of his arm. As he lay there, to add insult to injury, his motorcycle caught fire. How did this accident happen? The driver of the SUV was driving on the wrong side of the road, for nothing, and the two collided in the turn that is in front of my house. But as usual, no police were called.

This is a country were they have only been obeying red lights for one year now. But they still drive like it is a disparate race to no where. Until the police start to enforce all traffic laws, Santo Domingo will be unsafe for any type of travel. Including walking. In July 2007, my novia's niece was struck and killed by a taxi driver as she and her mother waited on the sidewalk for a bus to come by. She was on her way to school. The driver was going way too fast and lost control of his car.

Men here who like their "crouch rockets" install many airplane strobe to their bikes in order to be seen as they drive the streets. And they still get hit!

One other thing. If you do get hit and it is by a Dominicano, you will be at fault! So after you get out of the hospital (if you are that lucky) you will then have the pleasure of paying for all the damage to your rented bike and to the car of the person who hit you. Sound like fun?

slipheed
11-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Damn, I think I will stick to cabs. Thanks

MrHappy
11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Damn, I think I will stick to cabs. Thanks

You'll never fully realize what a profoundly smart decision you've just made.

Stick to cabs. Christ, call me, I'll drive you around. Just stay off a motorcycle in Santo Domingo.