PDA

View Full Version : 2 Billion US$ return to DR

grahajas
11-06-2004, 03:26 AM
Article on Dr1 maybe something to do with recent rate drop
Billions of dollars return to DR
Fernando Garcia, the president of the Organization of Commercial Enterprises (ONEC), said yesterday that over the past three months some US$2 billion have returned to the Dominican Republic. Meanwhile, the exchange rate dropped by RD$0.53 yesterday, sitting at RD$31 pesos to US$1, the second such significant stride taken by the Dominican peso this week. Last Tuesday, the dollar fell by RD$0.93 against the peso. Garcia said that the dollars that entered the country belonged to Dominicans who had never intended to remove their funds from the country permanently. It was Garcia's belief that a lack of confidence and worries about a further devaluation of the peso had led many people to acquire dollars as a hedge bet.
According to the ONEC leader, most of this hard currency has entered the banking system, been converted to pesos and has permitted new viability for commercial loans, with interest rates also falling considerably. The Central Bank has lowered its interest rates on certificates to less than 30%, reaching as low as 25% during the latest auction of certificates.
Garcia pointed out that until the actual consumers feel that their personal finances have improved, the local businesses will not feel the effect of the return of this capital. He said that this was why the ONEC had fought against an increase in consumer taxes.

WSJ3
11-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Maybe this is true for the rich...Reagan said the same shite back in the mid eighties with that trickle down economics.

It may benefit the rich and upper middle class but the lower middle and poor are still suffering.

Black Ghost
11-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Maybe this is true for the rich...Reagan said the same shite back in the mid eighties with that trickle down economics.

It may benefit the rich and upper middle class but the lower middle and poor are still suffering.

We in the U.S. will see our underclass get breaks B4 the underclass of the D.R. :roll:

knotty
11-06-2004, 11:18 AM
No matter where you go, the poor always gets jerked in the end.

WSJ3
11-06-2004, 11:39 AM

Only 2 types of people in the world.

Rich and poor.

Reel Deal
11-09-2004, 09:18 AM

Rich and poor.I disagree somewhat. I think what Ayn Rand described is much more accurate.

She said there are 2 types of people on the planet: producers and looters.

WSJ3
11-09-2004, 10:51 AM

Rich and poor.I disagree somewhat. I think what Ayn Rand described is much more accurate.

Is this a quote from her book Anthem?

Reel Deal
11-09-2004, 11:13 AM

Is this a quote from her book Anthem?Atlas Shrugged-maybe the most impactful book I have ever read...

WSJ3
11-09-2004, 12:16 PM
I am glad to see someone else is acquainted with the works of Ann Rand.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/jabojones3/8409644.jpg

WSJ3
11-09-2004, 12:22 PM
The book's female protagonist, Dagny Taggart, struggles to manage a transcontinental railroad amid the pressures and restrictions of massive bureaucracy. Her antagonistic reaction to a libertarian group seeking an end to government regulation is later echoed and modified in her encounter with a utopian community, Galt's Gulch, whose members regard self-determination rather than collective responsibility as the highest ideal. -- Encyclopedia of Literature

WSJ3
11-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Anthem followed in 1938. It was with the publication of The Fountainhead (1943) and Atlas Shrugged (1957) that she achieved her spectacular success. Ms. Rand's unique philosophy, Objectivism, has gained a worldwide audience. The fundamentals of her philosophy are put forth in three nonfiction books, Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology, The Virtue of Selfishness, and Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal. They are all available in Signet editions, as is the magnificent statement of her artistic credo, The Romantic Manifesto.

Reel Deal
11-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Dagney Taggart is totally my fantasy woman. I want her. Bad.

She'd want me, too. I'm sorta a cross between Henry Reardon, John Galt, and Francisco d' Anconia...

(Who IS John Galt, anyway? :? And where IS this Gulch I keep hearing about?)

I have changed more intellectual lives than I can count by recommending that book. I know it changed mine, Big Time-taught me to ignore those who try to tear down and demean those who achieve. I'll buy it for someone who I think could benefit under one condition: they give it to someone else who could also benefit.

Black Ghost
11-09-2004, 02:42 PM
She say's and i quote
Frustration is the leitmotif in the lives of most men, particularly today—the frustration of inarticulate desires, with no knowledge of the means to achieve them

thats why fools on here i feel sorryy for and could never move me......P.S. for thos who open there mouths without thinking i connect with a 1200 P.S.I. sooo hope all i do is knock a fool out.

Ghost

gdogg
11-09-2004, 08:05 PM
I disagree somewhat. I think what Ayn Rand described is much more accurate.

Did you see the Ayn Rand movie with Helen Mirren (the older British chick from the "Prime Suspect" series...who I'd do in a second, by the way). It was pretty good. Ayn definitely got what she wanted.

Reel Deal
11-09-2004, 08:31 PM
I disagree somewhat. I think what Ayn Rand described is much more accurate.

Did you see the Ayn Rand movie with Helen Mirren (the older British chick from the "Prime Suspect" series...who I'd do in a second, by the way). It was pretty good. Ayn definitely got what she wanted.An adaptation from one of her books? If'n I missed one, I'm bummed...

Ayn Rand Rocks! (And she was a slut for her day...)

gdogg
11-09-2004, 09:09 PM
It was a biography. "The Passion of Ayn Rand". It was really good. It followed her life starting from Fountainhead/Atlas period. Peter Fonda played her husband. It was a Showtime movie. I thinks it's available on DVD. She won an Emmy for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/ghm113/helenemmy.jpg

Reel Deal
11-09-2004, 10:47 PM
I'm gonna have to get it.