PDA

View Full Version : Resistance to handgun resolution

NewsWhore
11-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Many are rejecting Resolution 01-09 issued by the Ministry of the Interior and Police that bans the carrying of firearms by the civilian population during December, and threatens to revoke gun licenses (and confiscate the weapons) in cases of violation. Diario Libre reports that rice farmers were among the first to complain. Oliverio Espaillat Bencosme, the president of the National Federation of Rice Producers (Fenarroz) said that even though the measure is not exclusively for the rice harvesters, it leaves them at the mercy of criminals during the month of greatest economic activity.
Additional support came from former presidential candidate Pedro de Jesus Candelier, who rejected the measure and called it "silly and an improvisation" by Interior & Police Minister Franklin Almeyda Rancier. The former National Police chief said "I call on all national organizations to ignore this illegal and willful resolution by the Minister of the Interior and of the Police, because I believe it to be unjust to disarm Dominicans who choose to act legally in order to carry a firearm to defend themselves from criminals who are well-organized, well-armed and with large economic resources."
TV personality Freddy Beras Goico was energetic and defiant in calling on the population to ignore the decree. Beras Goico criticized the authorities for wanting to disarm civilians who have licenses for firearms, when they have not been able to overcome the criminals, adding that the officials haven't been able to do anything right.
Meanwhile, the president of the Dominican Revolutionary Party (PRD), Ramon Alburquerque called for compliance with the law, because possession and carrying a firearm is protected under the law. However, Alburquerque said that, "I have not heard the minister say that he is going to disarm the criminal population."
Meanwhile, Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez said that the country is saturated with weapons, but criminals have most of them, and this threatens the population. El Caribe reports that Monsignor Agripino Nunez Collado told a television interviewer that the authorities should disarm the criminals first, before disarming the civilian population.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#5)