PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Europa or Sea Breeze ???

robot
12-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I couldn't get a room at New Garden as it was all booked for the week of 12/29. So, I was looking at either Europa or Sea Breeze. A couple of folks have already suggested Sea Breeze. However, I would like to hear others opinions as well.

Man gone Nuts
12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't know anyone that still stays at the Europa or would choose it over the Sea Breeze.

I've not stayed at either but have been in both and they are worlds apart.

Too bad about the New Garden but the Sea Breeze is 2 minutes away and just around the corner. That'd be my choice even over the New Garden.

jimrock187
12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I stayed in the Europa a couple of years back...Europa gets power outages, hot water is pretty weak..and now i'm hearing that they are gonna charge for short time guests...
try out Seabreeze.

tomgueguen
12-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I have been in Europa only but from what I read I would choose Seabreeze.

Europa isn't a very good hotel and the staff is less than sympatic.

KoKi9290
12-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Stayed in both this year. Highly recommend SeaBreeze.

carolinajack
12-08-2008, 12:52 AM
You might also consider the CASA VALERIA which is right next door to the NG; it's more low key they have a lot of couples on holiday there...but chica friendly from what I've read here.

If you're looking for an open party atmosphere - then not the place.

If you're solo and looking for comfortable accomodations then take a look.

There are reports here by others with tips on the best rooms to reserve; attached restaurant is great for dinner.

snoozer
12-08-2008, 06:39 AM
For me Sea Breeze has it over Europa for these reasons:

Location- Closer to the action and the beach, safer walk.

Price - $ 40/ night cash

Security: Very tight at Sea Breeze

Rooms: Renovated total hotel less then a year ago. Rooms at Europa are bigger but who needs a big room?

Management: Sea Breeze owner and on-site manager is a very friendly, informative guy.

Staff: All very proffesional, has just hired an english ex-pat desk clerk so no problems for those guests that are espanol challenged.

For me no question which is better. Sea Breze every time

FnB
12-08-2008, 09:00 AM
For me Sea Breeze has it over Europa for these reasons:

Location- Closer to the action and the beach, safer walk.

Price - $ 40/ night cash

Security: Very tight at Sea Breeze

Rooms: Renovated total hotel less then a year ago. Rooms at Europa are bigger but who needs a big room?

Management: Sea Breeze owner and on-site manager is a very friendly, informative guy.

Staff: All very proffesional, has just hired an english ex-pat desk clerk so no problems for those guests that are espanol challenged.

For me no question which is better. Sea Breze every time
OK Sea Breeze or the New Garden ????????

snoozer
12-08-2008, 09:24 AM
For me, Sea Breeze. Others prefer NG.

Passport Playa
12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
I couldn't get a room at New Garden as it was all booked for the week of 12/29. So, I was looking at either Europa or Sea Breeze. A couple of folks have already suggested Sea Breeze. However, I would like to hear others opinions as well.
I would definitely recommend SeaBreeze based on my personal experience. Jihad (the owner) is a great guy who is willing to go the extra mile to accomodate his guests. I stayed there for a couple days in October and was pleasantly surprised when Jihad came to pick me up from the Caribe Tours Station and also took me back there for my return trip to El Capital.

The hotel is chica-friendly and centrally located. I can assure you that you will not go wrong by staying here!

The Mac Man

Tiger
12-08-2008, 10:42 AM
I booked a room at the Europa last year just to stay in town for a night. I also had a house at casa lindas. It was pretty nasty. Dirty, no ac and and allot of locals hanging around. I ended up not even staying.

robot
12-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the clear winner is Sea Breeze.

cainer
12-09-2008, 07:39 AM
few years ago, Hotel Europe was a good location and many bars opened in the area and safe.

We just took the walk Yesterday from seabreeze to La passions, and even with three of us together, we still felt like it was a dangerous walk. It is poorly lit in the area, many bars have closed down(four roses) and the bars that are still opened around the Europe Hotel, had nobody in them. NG or Seebreeze would be my suggestion.

vagabond
12-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Four roses is still open, must have been a special one night incident. I still feel very safe in the area, but there was alot more fun there in the old days.

cainer
12-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Four roses is still open, must have been a special one night incident. I still feel very safe in the area, but there was alot more fun there in the old days.

Maybe i am getting the bars mixed up. Isnt four roses the one that Yubi used to own, called hari gari or something like that?

We walked by there around 10 pm sunday night, on our way to passions, and returned 1 hour later and still not a light on in the place.

Many establishments there, close on every 2nd Sunday of the month, for some odd reason. Maybe they are one of them places.

vagabond
12-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Yes, you have them mixed up. The old Hali Gali is further up when you have passsed Europa. It's refurbished, and I think it has a new name. It has been open recently, but possible closed now. There is realy very few tourists in town for the moment.

cainer
12-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Yes, you have them mixed up. The old Hali Gali is further up when you have passsed Europa. It's refurbished, and I think it has a new name. It has been open recently, but possible closed now. There is realy very few tourists in town for the moment.

So, i know of the bar four roses, but obviously, ive forgotten where it is. Where is it then?

snoozer
12-10-2008, 08:03 AM
So, i know of the bar four roses, but obviously, ive forgotten where it is. Where is it then?

Yesterday they were delivering beer to the old Hali Gali bar so assume it is open.

Four Roses is the bar to the left of Dominoes both of which are in front of the Europa. I have one friend who comes here from Canada for three months each year and he sits there every night. When I first came here five years ago Dominoes was the place to hang out. By 10pm you could not move in there. Now usually the bartenders out number the patrons.

cainer
12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Yesterday they were delivering beer to the old Hali Gali bar so assume it is open.

Four Roses is the bar to the left of Dominoes both of which are in front of the Europa. I have one friend who comes here from Canada for three months each year and he sits there every night. When I first came here five years ago Dominoes was the place to hang out. By 10pm you could not move in there. Now usually the bartenders out number the patrons.
I noticed that also, on the Sunday when we walked by. No one was there in both of those bars and this was around 11pm at night. That whole end of town was dead. Even Passions had only about 3 gringos in there, around 10 pm at night.

Hoseman
12-10-2008, 12:59 PM
I noticed that also, on the Sunday when we walked by. No one was there in both of those bars and this was around 11pm at night. That whole end of town was dead. Even Passions had only about 3 gringos in there, around 10 pm at night.I agree with you Cainer.Most of the trips I make down toward that end of town there are not many Gringos.I was there the end ofNov. I normally stop at the 4 roses for a beer or two There would be 1 or 2 guys.The couple of times I went buy Cubre-Libre the was no one in there.When i went in Passions there was only myself and another guy.

MrHappy
12-14-2008, 06:34 AM
The better half and I always sit at 4 roses for a while, but don't ask me why.

I guess because of the location. We're both people watchers, and that seems to be the place to people watch.

Jimmydr
12-14-2008, 10:34 AM
The better half and I always sit at 4 roses for a while, but don't ask me why.

I guess because of the location. We're both people watchers, and that seems to be the place to people watch.

She hasn't dumped you yet?:D

Pacoloco
12-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Anyone have a working email for SeaBreeze? The one on their website keeps bouncing back, NG is full. :(

-Nevermind one got through, no rooms at SB either until 1/4. Hell I guess the high season has started, any other decent hotel suggestions?

robot
01-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Well, I just got back from my trip to Sosua and Sea Breeze. I have to say that Sea Breeze is a great place to stay at.....Jihad (the owner) is a first class guy who always makes sure that you got everything you need. He was there from the minute I arrived to make sure my room is where I want it to be (changed my room), assured me about safety, and provided me with some great advise. He (Jihad) appears to be a very easy going guy (very friendly with all of his guests), genuine in nature, and willing to go the extra mile for his guests (customer service was super).
My room had a little refrigerator, safe, and a great A/C. Also, they have a gated door with a 24 hour security guard for safety.
I also want to mention that they also have very helpful and 'beautiful' receptionsist at the front :lol:. Lisa (british girl) and another one from DR (forgot her name-a little more difficult name than Lisa :rolleyes:).
One last thing to mention.....I got a great exchange rate at Sea Breeze. They were giving me 34.5 peso's per $1. That was about 3 pesos (10%) more than the airport!
All in all a great short trip and would definitely stay at Sea Breeze going forward.

cainer
01-01-2009, 11:15 PM
I also want to mention that they also have very helpful and 'beautiful' receptionsist at the front :lol:. Lisa (british girl) and another one from DR (forgot her name-a little more difficult name than Lisa :rolleyes:).
One last thing to mention.....I got a great exchange rate at Sea Breeze. They were giving me 34.5 peso's per $1. That was about 3 pesos (10%) more than the airport!
All in all a great short trip and would definitely stay at Sea Breeze going forward.

Lisa also owns Eddies sports Bar. Go check out that bar on a busy night and she is one of the cameraras:) Nice sexy body she has.

As for the exchange rate at SB. I do not beleive they give a great rate, just a comparable one. I actually got more at the cambio place two doors down from the seabreeze. Make a right when u exit and two doors down.

Also, the rate Seabreeze has posted, just say u think it is a bit low, compared to others and they will bump it up a quarter of a point for you.

Tiger
01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Lisa also owns Eddies sports Bar. Go check out that bar on a busy night and she is one of the cameraras:) Nice sexy body she has.

As for the exchange rate at SB. I do not beleive they give a great rate, just a comparable one. I actually got more at the cambio place two doors down from the seabreeze. Make a right when u exit and two doors down.

Also, the rate Seabreeze has posted, just say u think it is a bit low, compared to others and they will bump it up a quarter of a point for you.

Where is Eddies Sports bar?

cdstart=Tiger%27s%20Birthday%20Bash&skinjpg=http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/cdskins/claudia.jpg&yr=2009&mo=1&da=15&hr=2&mi=24&sc=0&cdend=Boo%21%21%21&txtcolor=0xff0000&untilcolor=0xff0000

snoozer
01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Where is Eddies Sports bar?

cdstart=Tiger%27s%20Birthday%20Bash&skinjpg=http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/cdskins/claudia.jpg&yr=2009&mo=1&da=15&hr=2&mi=24&sc=0&cdend=Boo%21%21%21&txtcolor=0xff0000&untilcolor=0xff0000

It is on Ayunimenti, turn down the street at Super Super, it is half way down. Not worth the walk in my opinion, usually has mostly Casa Marina tourists at night getting their fix of soccer or hockey. Each to their own!!!

Jimmydr
01-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Anyone going to Sosua really should walk up and down every block so they really get a feel for the town. If not on the first trip, then by trip #4 or #5.

cainer
01-02-2009, 02:05 PM
It is on Ayunimenti, turn down the street at Super Super, it is half way down. Not worth the walk in my opinion, usually has mostly Casa Marina tourists at night getting their fix of soccer or hockey. Each to their own!!!

But, if their is a big sporting event going on, then, it is the place to be. I went their for the Pacqiuo De La Hoya fight and it was a great atmosphere and a great time was had there.

I am guessing it also would be the place to be for the super bowl as well.

weyland
01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I am guessing it also would be the place to be for the super bowl as well.
I would guess not. They mainly cater for Brits and other Europeans. Best place for soccer for sure.

cainer
01-02-2009, 11:40 PM
I would guess not. They mainly cater for Brits and other Europeans. Best place for soccer for sure.

I am not so sure of that. Many Canadians where there and they actually had hockey games on the screens prior to the big fight. Many french Canadians. All Montreal Canadian fans and even one of the cameraras had on a Habs jesery.

weyland
01-03-2009, 06:32 AM
I am not so sure of that ... they actually had hockey games on the screens
That is consistent with my post. We play a lot of hockey in England.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/6568495f4c445a3bd.jpg