PDA

View Full Version : Falconbridge pledges help

NewsWhore
12-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Falconbridge Dominicana has let go hundreds of its workers, but they understand that for this reason they should provide more assistance to the community, including supporting municipalities in repairing rural roads and leveling fields for agriculture.
The Falcondo Foundation sponsors 129 schools in Bonao and La Vega. Luis Rosario, representing the mining company that belongs to Xstrata Nickel, said over the weekend that "We are going to maintain all these programs because we know the terrible impact that the temporary closure of the mine is having on these communities."
The demand for nickel has fallen partly as a result of the economic crisis caused by the financial debacle in the United States. In response to this situation, Xstrata Nickel decided on the temporary shutdown of the Falconbridge mining operation until the price of nickel recovers. One of the measures taken was the dismissal of 900 of the 1,640 workers. The repercussions of this decision have plunged the people of Bonao into uncertainty about their future, as most of the trade in the area is indirectly related to income generated from the mine.
The greatest concern about the situation was expressed by the Bonao Chamber of Commerce, whose 400 members' livelihood mostly depends on trade resulting from the payroll of the mine that used to total US$2 million each month.
Rosario said that Falconbridge would hire an agency to help workers find new jobs.
Reportedly, many of the workers commuted to the mine from neighboring areas, so the impact will be felt beyond Bonao. The company announced that it would be paying around US$20 million in severance payments, but many workers already owe large part of their due money to the company cooperative.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#8)