PDA

View Full Version : Snokeling

sonrisa
01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Anyone have any suggestions about snorkeling. I'd like to go snorkeling one day. I understand several dive shops have snorkeling trips. Also, is there any place on the beach to rent equipment. I've heard there are some nice reefs not far from shore.

eldorob
01-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Snorkel equipment can be bought on the beach, not sure about renting. Maybee

People snorkel right on the beach, but go to DR1.com, Travel Forum, North Coast section, there is a snorkel thread right now with some info on a boat that goes out to a reef that has some pretty good sights I guess.

sonrisa
01-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks, will do. If I do go snorkeling, I'll let the members know what I discovered.

ezsmile
01-07-2009, 11:26 AM
A few years ago I took a trip to a place called 3 rocks (I think), just to the east of Sosua, for some snorkeling. Went with the Merlin Dive Centre, which is a German owned dive shop located at the entrance to Sosua Beach.
The snorkeling was way better than the reef located just off of the main Sosua Beach.
I was the only one snorkeling that day, the rest of the boat had gone out there to scuba dive.
The 3 rocks are 3 small reefs just off of the shore, water about 10-15m deep, lots of fish, clear water.

I had my own mask, snorkel, and flippers so don't know what they do for their own equipment. There is a place on the main beach that has lots of snorkel equipment;I haven't checked it out but always assumed they were rentals.

wrgold
01-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Check out northerncoastdiving.com There is a great snorkeling trip you can take that goes out to Rio San Juan through the Gri Gri lagoon. Much more to see with this trip than just snorkeling in Sosua bay. Mark is very accommodating and will even pick you up for your trip if needed. They are on Pedro Clisante about a block or so down from Classicos.

ezsmile
01-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Careful with the Gri Gri Lagoon though. I have never been there, but recently I have heard stories of a bad smell due to a sewage outflow into the lagoon. Hopefully any snorkeling would be well away from there!