PDA

View Full Version : Senator investigated in US?

NewsWhore
01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
There are rumors that the Dominican Senator Alejandro Williams (PLD-San Pedro de Macoris), is being investigated by US authorities for possible Medicaid fraud. Senate President Reinaldo Pared Perez said he is willing to launch an investigation into William's dealings, while maintaining that he only has limited details on the Williams case. Pared says he's spoken with Williams, who informed him he would be back for Thursday's session. Listin Diario points out, however, that Williams could not be allowed to leave the US while his case is being investigated. The newspaper adds that Williams is leading somewhat of a double life. The Senator is a dentist by trade and owns a clinic in the Bronx, New York, "Medical Dental Office Dr. Alejandro Williams," where he treats at least 50 patients per day. Williams has served as the senator for San Pedro since 2006. Listin mentions that Williams is frequently absent from the Senate and is officially recorded as being absent 33% of the time. A former secretary for Williams says the Senator has become a master of excuses, taking the "excuse" letter and changing the dates and resending it to Senate president Pared Perez. Members of the San Pedro community consider Williams one of the province's "worst senators ever" and say he is rarely available. Student Michelle Cano is quoted as saying that it is no mystery that Williams lives outside the country and does no work for the community. Listin quotes Williams as saying, "that Senate position means little to me. What I earn in a month as a senator I earn in a day here." Williams had campaigned successfully on the ruling party PLD ticket against veteran PRSC senator Jose Hazim, pledging to bring an extension of the state UASD to San Pedro. Hazim owns the private San Pedro based UCE University.
Yesterday Williams was not available for talking to the press.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#5)