PDA

View Full Version : Best place to exchange money in Sosua?

jimrock187
01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Which Cambio has the best rate? I'm staying at the NG

Hoseman
01-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Which Cambio has the best rate? I'm staying at the NGI use the one on Pedro Clisante right down the stret from Classic's Todays rate on xe is 35.5 i would use that as a guide Then see what you can get it dependson how imortant each tenth over the 35 is to you. you will get better rates today and tommorow weekend nights are the worst.

Beads
01-15-2009, 06:56 PM
You can wander around town and get various different rates and base it upon the internet but the money changers will take advantage whenever possible if you don't know the correct rate. I like using the place in Charamicos which posts their rate daily right outside. Theres other threads about this if you use the search function. Its by the Caribe Tours office in Charamicos just look for the exchange rates sign outside.

Hoseman
01-15-2009, 07:01 PM
You can wander around town and get various different rates and base it upon the internet but the money changers will take advantage whenever possible if you don't know the correct rate. I like using the place in Charamicos which posts their rate daily right outside. Theres other threads about this if you use the search function. Its by the Caribe Tours office in Charamicos just look for the exchange rates sign outside.I heard they had about the best rate.Does anyone ever use the banks?

Jimmydr
01-15-2009, 07:02 PM
I heard they had about the best rate.Does anyone ever use the banks?

I only use my paypal card. I never carry cash.

Hoseman
01-15-2009, 07:06 PM
I only use my paypal card. I never carry cash.How does that work?How do you aquire one?

Jimmydr
01-15-2009, 07:07 PM
How does that work?How do you aquire one?

Open a paypal account, request a card.

Hoseman
01-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Open a paypal account, request a card.How do you use it and where can you use it In the Theses Foreign Countries?

Jimmydr
01-15-2009, 07:13 PM
How do you use it and where can you use it In the Theses Foreign Countries?

Its a debit card, you load it up and use it at any bank.

Hoseman
01-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Its a debit card, you load it up and use it at any bank. So you can go online and transfer money from you Bank Accounts?

Jimmydr
01-15-2009, 07:20 PM
So you can go online and transfer money from you Bank Accounts?

Thats the best way, but it takes three business days. You can also use it to pay for restaurants and stores and get 1% back.

elsucio
01-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Last time i was there they were selling pesos for 34.3 at a casa de cambio on Pedro Clisante, there was a guy who was getting on a motoconcho to go Charamicos cuz they were giving 33.5, i just had to shake my head and chuckle inside..... :)

Hoseman
01-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Thats the best way, but it takes three business days. You can also use it to pay for restaurants and stores and get 1% back. I was just trying to figure out the best way to access my money when I retire and am spending months in these Countries sometimes.

Hoseman
01-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Last time i was there they were selling pesos for 34.3 at a casa de cambio on Pedro Clisante, there was a guy who was getting on a motoconcho to go Charamicos cuz they were giving 33.5, i just had to shake my head and chuckle inside..... :)When was that? in Nov.I always got between 35 and 35.3

elsucio
01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Thats the best way, but it takes three business days. You can also use it to pay for restaurants and stores and get 1% back.

I was going to call Paypal and ask, i have Paypal debit card verified by bank account, i want to have Paypal debit and BOA debit as well when i travel, in case there is a problem and i lose a card. my question is do i have to transfer money to paypal account prior to, since it is connected to bank, do nothing?

Jimmydr
01-15-2009, 07:27 PM
I was going to call Paypal and ask, i have Paypal debit card verified by bank account, i want to have Paypal debit and BOA debit as well when i travel, in case there is a problem and i lose a card. my question is do i have to transfer money to paypal account prior to, since it is connected to bank, do nothing?

You can transfer at anytime, but it takes 3 "Business" days"

Beads
01-15-2009, 07:32 PM
yea PayPal debit is awesome I use that also. I like to arrive with say $300-$500 in emergency funds and work off the PayPal card most of the time. Easier to gauge daily expenses with 1 ATM visit every day or 2.

elsucio
01-15-2009, 07:39 PM
When was that? in Nov.I always got between 35 and 35.3

December, maybe it was 35.3 and 35.5, my point was that unless you have a whole lot does it really pay to travel all the way to Charimicos for .20 mas......i mean come on,even if you were to change $1500us you would only be up 300 pesos :)

Hoseman
01-15-2009, 07:46 PM
December, maybe it was 35.3 and 35.5, my point was that unless you have a whole lot does it really pay to travel all the way to Charimicos for .20 mas......i mean come on,even if you were to change $1500us you would only be up 300 pesos :)I know what you mean that's why I told the poster It all depends on how much he care about the tenths.

eastcoastallstar
01-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Western Union in Sosua is where I change my
money.

Before I go, I check the exchange rate on Yahoo and they always match.

The exchange rate is holding at 35.50

cainer
01-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Last time i was there they were selling pesos for 34.3 at a casa de cambio on Pedro Clisante, there was a guy who was getting on a motoconcho to go Charamicos cuz they were giving 33.5, i just had to shake my head and chuckle inside..... :)

U mean this place??? I try to stop here from the airport to Sosua. Just ask your driver to stop when u see this place. Its suppose to be the best in the area. I also heard that in Sosua, that Western Union always gives a fair rate as well.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=35&pictureid=2109

sicpup71
01-16-2009, 12:25 AM
i like super super they give a good rate .

jimrock187
01-16-2009, 04:23 AM
I havent been to Sosua in 2 yrs.... last time i went I changed my money at the Europa.. (I was too lazy)..

Flight leaves in 5 hrs.... cant go back to sleep..

Downtown
01-16-2009, 07:30 AM
You can transfer at anytime, but it takes 3 "Business" days"

Jimmy,

Does PayPal charge you any transaction fees for either withdrawls, payments or transfers?

Roy
01-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Last trip, I was with 2 other mongers, and we kept going to the same place, $100 each at a time. He gave us 35 when everyone else was giving 34.5

It was the change place on Pedro Clisante right next to Happy Bar. I would suggest that you tell them how long you're going to be there if you're going to be there a while, and if he takes good care of you, you'll use him every time.

We're talking in most cases about 50 pesos per $100US, so it's $1.50 top to bottom. Not really worth hassling about in the long run, is it?

MyTio
01-16-2009, 01:23 PM
I bring less then $1000 for emergency and use papal, The best information I got from Jimmy on this site :eek:

Hoseman
01-16-2009, 01:42 PM
I bring less then $1000 for emergency and use papal, The best information I got from Jimmy on this site :eek:Is the only place you can get money off of it the Bank?

DCIronman
01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
I heard they had about the best rate.Does anyone ever use the banks?

I only use the ATMs at the larger banks. Some don't like the ATMs. But I don't mind as long as they're with a major bank and in a safe location. And I've never had one keep my card.

I hate traveling with large amounts of cash.

Hoseman
01-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I only use the ATMs at the larger banks. Some don't like the ATMs. But I don't mind as long as they're with a major bank and in a safe location. And I've never had one keep my card.

I hate traveling with large amounts of cash.I had one keep my card.I had read Hooror stories of that happening. It happened in Boca Chica.I went inside when they opened Showed my passport got it back with no problem.I was talking about going inside the bank.I hear they give the actual World Trading Rate.

Gladiator
01-16-2009, 05:54 PM
To avoid the risk of the ATM swallowing my card, I always prefer to get money directly from the bank cashier with the card and my passport.

Jimmydr
01-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Jimmy,

Does PayPal charge you any transaction fees for either withdrawls, payments or transfers?

Only $1 to take money out.

Beads
01-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Yea PayPal is cheap and keeps money separate from my checking account so I feel much safer if the card got eaten. Hasn't happened yet (knock on wood) but I like to be prepared as best as possible.

Jimmydr
01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Yea PayPal is cheap and keeps money separate from my checking account so I feel much safer if the card got eaten. Hasn't happened yet (knock on wood) but I like to be prepared as best as possible.

You can get two cards you know.

Festy
01-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Only $1 to take money out.

I have used PayPal in many countries and it is GREAT! In Thailand some guys were getting dinged $3-$5 per w/d from their banks (I want to say HSBC was one of the expensive cards) while PayPal was only a buck. My small local bank only charges me $0.50 for foreign w/d so I take both cards with me.

I can also confirm that you can get TWO cards with PayPal (have two myself), just like you can with your current ATM card (lol, have two myself). I leave a set at home in the event there is a problem while away. Keeping an emergency ATM card in the safe at your hotel incase you lose the one you carry with you is a good idea.

I am NOT sure if paypal issues ATM cards OUTSIDE the U.S. A Canadian buddy that lives in Thailand told me back in 2005 that he tried to get the PayPal ATM card but he needed a U.S. Bank account for confirmation to get the card. If this is true than PayPal may only be a good option for people with access to U.S. Banking. Can anyone confirm this?

Kevy
01-18-2009, 01:52 PM
I have used PayPal in many countries and it is GREAT! In Thailand some guys were getting dinged $3-$5 per w/d from their banks (I want to say HSBC was one of the expensive cards) while PayPal was only a buck. My small local bank only charges me $0.50 for foreign w/d so I take both cards with me.

I can also confirm that you can get TWO cards with PayPal (have two myself), just like you can with your current ATM card (lol, have two myself). I leave a set at home in the event there is a problem while away. Keeping an emergency ATM card in the safe at your hotel incase you lose the one you carry with you is a good idea.

I am NOT sure if paypal issues ATM cards OUTSIDE the U.S. A Canadian buddy that lives in Thailand told me back in 2005 that he tried to get the PayPal ATM card but he needed a U.S. Bank account for confirmation to get the card. If this is true than PayPal may only be a good option for people with access to U.S. Banking. Can anyone confirm this?

It is true, I cannot get a Paypal card in canada