PDA

View Full Version : neck wallet?

bads00
01-26-2009, 11:25 AM
hey guys, i just got one of those wallets that go around your neck to put my iphone and money in, anyone else use one of these. Aslo, I plan on bringing about $1500 with me to change into pesos, do you think I will be ok till I get to the hotel Seabreeze, or should i bring travelers checks instead. I dont have or use a debit card, thanks. Usually when I travel to europe I just pay with my credit card, obviously thats not the case here.

Hunter
01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Are you fluent in spanish???

If no leave the iphone at home. First time in DR you will not need a phone....unless you are one of those lovey dovey types that will wife up and need to keep track of the wife...:p:p

You will not get held up on the way to sea breeze....but debit cards are way to go...

Skynyrd
01-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Never heard of a neck wallet, but I dont think I want one:)

I always bring a couple grand in 100.00 bills and split it up 10 bills in each front Pocket..If someone can reach down in my front pocket around my nuts and me not feel it they are welcome to it lol
Its safe from the Airport to your Hotel and then put in all in the safe except a couple hundred I change for Pecos.
Then as needed I withdraw a hundred or two from the safe.
I always try to stay a ful week and MOST times I have 3 or 4 Hundred left over on my flight back:)

Just Dont stop anyway like a store,bar ect..Get in the Taxi and GO TO THE HOTEL FIRST.

bads00
01-26-2009, 12:18 PM

If no leave the iphone at home
well I really dont know much spanish and my iphone has a great spanish dictionary with popular phrases and such, also it has a translator that will translate any word or phrase i type in, thats why i want to bring it, besides its so fucking awesome im permently attatched to it!

Hunter
01-26-2009, 12:31 PM

well I really dont know much spanish and my iphone has a great spanish dictionary with popular phrases and such, also it has a translator that will translate any word or phrase i type in, thats why i want to bring it, besides its so fucking awesome im permently attatched to it!

OK I guess take it... but just remember that is prime pickings to get stolen so beware....

GokuSS
01-26-2009, 01:23 PM
I use a money belt, worn around the waist and under the shirt. I keep a zerox copy of my driver's license & passport and enough cash for the moment. Everything else stays locked up in the safe in the room.

weyland
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM
If not leave the iPhone at home.
I am not one of the more sociable members here. I probably explore alone more than most, but I use my celular a lot in the DR (I hardly ever use it in the UK) and as my Spanish is rudimentary most of that usage is for meeting up with other guys, mostly ISOC members. That is not the main part of my holiday as it is for some guys, but it is a still an important and enjoyable part and a celular is more or less essential for that. It is also useful for ringing for a taxi when I am stranded somewhere and for noting chicas for future meetings. Of course, it doesn't have to be an iPhone to do those tasks, any old crap would do, maybe a secondhand phone bought locally.

greydread
01-26-2009, 02:34 PM

If you bring the "awesome" iphone I guarrantee you two things:

Your phone will not have full functionality in the D.R. no matter what the service provider promised you.
Someone will steal it or you will lose it and until that happens you will be walking around with a big, bright bullseye on your back.

People who show off in the D.R. become victims. You can't complain to the cops when you get ripped off because if they see your shit first...They'll take it.

Spend $12 US and get a low end, local Dominican phone from Orange or Claro and get yourself a Franklin Spanish / English translator for under $30. I've bought dozens of them and I leave them on the island with people I like. They make a great gift when your trip is over (as do the phones).

PapiQueRico
01-26-2009, 03:49 PM
hey guys, i just got one of those wallets that go around your neck to put my iphone and money in, anyone else use one of these. Aslo, I plan on bringing about $1500 with me to change into pesos, do you think I will be ok till I get to the hotel Seabreeze, or should i bring travelers checks instead. I dont have or use a debit card, thanks. Usually when I travel to europe I just pay with my credit card, obviously thats not the case here.

If it is the type I think it is I do use one. Instead of wearing it around my neck I tie it to a front belt loop and wear the wallet on my inner thigh. It is particuarly helpful at the times when you must carry everything, like when in transit. Even if i fall asleep on a train or place I feel that my passport and money are pretty secure next to my balls.

bads00
01-26-2009, 04:53 PM
ok thanks for the advice, i will keep the phone in my safe