PDA

View Full Version : Tourists must pay 15$ at customs

gmalet
02-06-2009, 08:35 AM
The Dominican Air Force has purchased a number of propeller aircraft ('Súper Tucano's') to help in the fight against drug smugglers. The government has borrowed 92 million dollars (to pay for these aircraft) from the American government, and plans to generate funds to cover this amount by charging tourists an extra tax. When entering or leaving the country, tourists will be charged 15$ from 1 February onwards. It is not clear if this is a temporary charge, which will cease once the aircraft are paid for, or whether this is a permanent tax.

Beads
02-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Yea I saw that. Its the dominican logic of "Hey theres less tourists coming in we need to raise the prices!".

knotty
02-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Yea I saw that. Its the dominican logic of "Hey theres less tourists coming in we need to raise the prices!".
this logic occurs everywhere. not just dominican logic.

Vincent Vega
02-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Is it $15.00 in addition to the $10.00 tourist card? A total of $25.00? And if I pay this new tax upon entering the country, I will be charged an additional $15.00 as I leave?

PapiQueRico
02-06-2009, 10:29 AM
The Dominicans are clearly not as smart as the Colombians. The Colombians get all that shit for free. The DR government needs to fabricate a marxist guerilla problem and wait for the $$ to flow!

weyland
02-06-2009, 11:09 AM
The Dominican Air Force has purchased a number of propeller aircraft ('Súper Tucano's') to help in the fight against drug smugglers.
Apparently this type of aircraft is useless for this sort of low altitude work. Perhaps our resident aviation expert will elaborate? The other problem is that many of the biggest drug smugglers are in the military as Leonel has just admitted publicly. Perhaps it should read "to help in drug smuggling" instead.

greydread
02-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Apparently this type of aircraft is useless for this sort of low altitude work. Perhaps our resident aviation expert will elaborate? The other problem is that many of the biggest drug smugglers are in the military as Leonel has just admitted publicly. Perhaps it should read "to help in drug smuggling" instead.

This is the same type of aircraft which the Mexican government has been using to transport the drugs in Zapotec areas of the Yucatan for years. They are greedy and that is why the Zapotecs run into Oaxaca and tear shit up every so often. The Dominican government will use the $15 tax for a future purchase of helicopters to get the drugs moved out of mountainous growing regions in the West. We have seen this before. I guess this strategy is the under the table discussion at the OAS meetings.

The Colombians blamed "Marxists", the Mexicans blamed "Zapotecs" and it won't be long before the Dominicans assign a face for it's "drug problems".

I can imagine the strategists conversation right now:

"Hey, we've got a bunch of Haitians that nobody likes very much. Let's use them"

BlueDevil
02-06-2009, 04:26 PM
The Dominicans are clearly not as smart as the Colombians. The Colombians get all that shit for free. The DR government needs to fabricate a marxist guerilla problem and wait for the $$ to flow!

The key word to get more US Aid is "narco-terrorists." This little buzz word will open the purse strings for the War on Drugs and War on Terror.

Ingus_Khan
02-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Sick of them and their damn fees. Half of my damn plane ticket price is fees, $141 dollars of the $350-$450 price.:mad:

Beads
02-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Sick of them and their damn fees. Half of my damn plane ticket price is fees, $141 dollars of the $350-$450 price.:mad:

Yea when the taxes are almost as much as the ticket theres a problem. So is the $15 another $5 for the tourist card or do they tack the money onto the ticket?

3somefan
02-06-2009, 06:50 PM

Yea when the taxes are almost as much as the ticket theres a problem. So is the $15 another $5 for the tourist card or do they tack the money onto the ticket?

Almost kinda wipes out the saving in putang we get when there!! :eek:

KoKi9290
02-06-2009, 11:10 PM
I left Feb 2 from SDQ and they didn't charge me anything that I'm aware of. Of course, it may well be included in the $130+ that I paid in tax on a $160 ticket from Miami.

gmalet
02-07-2009, 07:34 AM
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/economy/2009/2/2/30946/Dominican-airports-now-charge-flyers-US15

Downtown
02-07-2009, 07:47 AM
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/economy/2009/2/2/30946/Dominican-airports-now-charge-flyers-US15

Just another of their alleged "fees" we have to pay for the privilege of visiting their fine country! Wow! Do I sound cynical?

Ingus_Khan
02-07-2009, 08:49 AM
It says entering or leaving the DR. so is it $30 for a round trip ticket? And given all the BS scams( I have been asked for birthday regalos buy at least 3 different customs agents with their cute little notes behind the counters) hopefully I won't be asked by several people to pay the new tax just to see how gulible I am.:mad:

What can you do. Everybody who can stick it to ya without you having recourse will do so. Hell the price of oil has been stable around $40 bucks for 1 month or so but mysteriously "all" the gas stations in the city have crept up from $1.68 per gallon to $2.00 per gallon in that same period. I guess revenue from $4+ a gallon is very addictive. And the airlines have made it clear when they were asked that they were not going to stop all the extra fees they have instuted because of the "high oil price" because they need to recope losses.

Guess the first DR chica gets fucked extra hard to make me feel better for the taxes and the increase in the pussy base price to 1500DR:eek::mrgreen:

Kevy
02-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Don't forget the $20 Departure tax that if you fly a charter, you have to pay when you leave or is already added to your ticket. PLus $10 tourist card plus this $15 fee.:)

ElPlomero
02-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Go to Colombia. They haven't raised their fees.

Jimmydr
02-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Go to Colombia. They haven't raised their fees.

No, just pay it and keep going to DR.:p

Ram
02-08-2009, 12:42 AM
No, just pay it and keep going to DR.:p

....funny...I wish everyone would start going to Colombia.....

:corky:;)

cainer
02-08-2009, 02:22 AM
It says entering or leaving the DR. so is it $30 for a round trip ticket? And given all the BS scams( I have been asked for birthday regalos buy at least 3 different customs agents with their cute little notes behind the counters) hopefully I won't be asked by several people to pay the new tax just to see how gulible I am.:mad:

What can you do. Everybody who can stick it to ya without you having recourse will do so. Hell the price of oil has been stable around $40 bucks for 1 month or so but mysteriously "all" the gas stations in the city have crept up from $1.68 per gallon to $2.00 per gallon in that same period. I guess revenue from $4+ a gallon is very addictive. And the airlines have made it clear when they were asked that they were not going to stop all the extra fees they have instuted because of the "high oil price" because they need to recope losses.

Guess the first DR chica gets fucked extra hard to make me feel better for the taxes and the increase in the pussy base price to 1500DR:eek::mrgreen:

If i didnt look at the name on this post, i would have sworn i wrote it. I couldnt be more in agreement.

Gas in Canada was $0.69 a litre and the barrel was at $40. The barrel is still at $40 but gas is now $0.85 a litre. Pisses me off that someone is ripping us off. I was told it is the refineries that are now gouging us and charging more to refine the oil into gasoline. That is why prices are still rising when the barrel of oil hasnt:(

Last year when i flew to the DR, the departure tax was included in my ticket.( a Canadian thing i guess) but IN december, i had to pay the $20 departure tax. It looks like this time, its going to be the same extra $20 and now another $15:(

The tax on my airline ticket was $300, this time, its $315. When does the gouging stop?

If u add all the added taxes that i have to pay on this trip, its going to be about $60 more then previous trips. $10 more for gas to get to and from the airport, about $15 on my ticket and another $35 just to leave the DR.

No wonder everyone is broke:)

Ps, most of these taxes are in American funds, so add another %20 onto the total. Fuckers in Dr dont even take our money:)

Aren
02-08-2009, 05:43 AM
This was suppose to start from 1st Feb, has anyone actually entered or exited DR in the last week and paid this unfair tax ? $30 extra tax (on top of $10+$20) is just taking a piss. Great encouragement for tourists... !

They keep talking about deflation, downturn, job losses, house reposesion, bankrupt banks, companies, people.... oil is $40 (from $140) but flights from UK are costing even more this year and now this. Do you sometime get the feeling we are just being had with all this economic bullshit.... !? Bankers and billionaires ripped us all off and now cashed their checks and left, sitting back laughing at us....

weyland
02-08-2009, 06:15 AM
This was suppose to start from 1st Feb, has anyone actually entered or exited DR in the last week and paid this unfair tax ? $30 extra tax (on top of $10+$20)
I have read all these posts but am still unclear. Is it $15 extra on top of $10 entering AND $15 on top of $20 exiting, or only one extra $15 charge?

gmalet
02-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Based on the Dominican Today story it looks like you pay 5 dollars more. $15.00 to enter or if you have to pay when you leave its $15.00 to leave.

elsucio
02-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Fucking shame when my ticket to Colombia in South America is cheaper than a fucking ticket to DR

gmalet
02-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Getting to the DR has been getting to be a pain in the Ass. I live in the Chicago area and have to get up at 4 in the fucking morning to fly out. Usually 350.00 for the ticket. Then I pay 130 bucks in taxes then an additional 15.00 for a tourist card. Then a 25.00 taxi ride to the Garden. Before I even have a chica in my room I've spent over 500 bucks.

Heading to Panama on the 20th. 346 bucks round trip. No special taxes... I'll post my report when I get back.

3somefan
02-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Heading to Panama on the 20th. 346 bucks round trip. No special taxes... I'll post my report when I get back.

Have a fun time, I know someone else who is going with you, I look forward to seeing what you have to say about the place.

cainer
02-08-2009, 06:30 PM
3some returned after feb 1st, did you notice any extra departur fee when exiting?

Jimmydr
02-08-2009, 06:33 PM
3some returned after feb 1st, did you notice any extra departur fee when exiting?

Same IOUs, no problems.:D:D

3somefan
02-08-2009, 06:40 PM

Nope, no extra charges.

Same IOUs, no problems.:D:D

Exactly, I would have whipped out the IOU's anyways, so not important! :D

SJG
02-09-2009, 08:43 AM
It's probably just an increase on the tourist card from $10 to $15. I've only had to pay on the way in, never on the way out, but I always fly commercial.

Even so, I'm looking at an April trip and the taxes are $133 and the tourist card is $15, that is an extra $150. It is starting to make some of the alternatives look more attractive. I have 8 weeks of vacation to burn through this year. I may "spread the love" a little.

passasabe
02-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Thats why it pays to have family members who are flight attendants...besides an extra 15 aint gonna hurt anyone. Just chose a day where you decide whether you would want to eat or bust a nut; that should even things out

If i didnt look at the name on this post, i would have sworn i wrote it. I couldnt be more in agreement.

Gas in Canada was $0.69 a litre and the barrel was at $40. The barrel is still at $40 but gas is now $0.85 a litre. Pisses me off that someone is ripping us off. I was told it is the refineries that are now gouging us and charging more to refine the oil into gasoline. That is why prices are still rising when the barrel of oil hasnt:(

Last year when i flew to the DR, the departure tax was included in my ticket.( a Canadian thing i guess) but IN december, i had to pay the $20 departure tax. It looks like this time, its going to be the same extra $20 and now another $15:(

The tax on my airline ticket was $300, this time, its $315. When does the gouging stop?

If u add all the added taxes that i have to pay on this trip, its going to be about $60 more then previous trips. $10 more for gas to get to and from the airport, about $15 on my ticket and another $35 just to leave the DR.

No wonder everyone is broke:)

Ps, most of these taxes are in American funds, so add another %20 onto the total. Fuckers in Dr dont even take our money:)

psriches
02-26-2009, 06:00 AM
SOSUA NEWS:

It was published in all the newspapers at the end of January: from 1 February onwards all tourists would have to pay 15 dollars when entering and leaving the country.

This caused a furor among many tourists. So, on 18 February we went to the airport and asked at the information desk what was going on.
Wandy Tavera gave us the following answer:

The new price of 15 dollars does not start until 2 March 2009, so until that date everyone continues to pay just 10 dollars, if this is not already included in the price of their airline ticket.

So, its official: after 2 March all tourists will have to pay 15 dollars to enter the country. When leaving the country the 15 dollars is included in your airline ticket.

If this situation changes, we'll let you know immediately.

dijinn
02-26-2009, 10:09 AM
So all in all 30$ extra.. That is a ST suck and fuck money..in Boca Chica...Too bad..wish we have alternatives

greydread
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Wow. That was quick.

I just checked and AA is now charging $25 more to fly round trip DCA to SDQ than to SXM for carnaval week :confused:

The ticket prices jumped $50 in three days. :mad:

If pussy, lodging and pussy wasn't so cheap I'd be tempted to skip the D.R. this trip. ;)

officemgr
02-27-2009, 06:07 AM
So what happens if I bought a few tourist cards during my last trip to the DR consulate in NY. Do I have to pay another 5 or should I go back to the consulate and get new cards? I hate waiting in that long line after the plane lands.

Hemp
03-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Damn!!! The crazy airfare taxes now this shit....

damn if it wasnt for the perch, I'd reallt stop going there!

gmalet
03-04-2009, 06:40 AM
It looks like they added the price to the ticket I bought. They are now charging 147 bucks in taxes to fly to POP.

Gutter Meat
05-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Can anyone that has been down to POP ,is the tourist card now $15 or still $10?

Elvis
05-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Can anyone that has been down to POP ,is the tourist card now $15 or still $10?

It's $10 in STI

Hoseman
05-05-2009, 07:30 AM
It is still $10 on Arrival but looks like they added in all in the price of the ticket.

yourmomma999
05-07-2009, 02:44 AM
its only $5 more. it isnt going to break me. However I resent the taxes we must pay to The U.S. gov't and the DR gov't. which ends up costing more than jetblue charges for the damn flight in the first place.

yourmomma999
05-07-2009, 02:54 AM
correct, The biggest drug smugglers there are , the Military and the police of which he just fired 700 and put them in jail. THey transport the drugs for the growers and dealers because it pays 100 times more than what the govt pays them. Leonel and the other politicians are making a few hundred thousand and do not care to use money they do have better.

Until they use the millions of dollars they make from charging extremely high gas prices relative to what the purchase it for (they buy the shit from Chavez dirt cheap) to pay the cops and the Military more than $50-100 a month while Leonel, the president, and all of the Politicians who claim they are not corrupt use that money to line their pockets, they are going to have these problems. And the big drug growers and dealers pay the cops their to kill their competition.

I agree with your line of thinking but I am not sure about the Haitian thing.

This is the same type of aircraft which the Mexican government has been using to transport the drugs in Zapotec areas of the Yucatan for years. They are greedy and that is why the Zapotecs run into Oaxaca and tear shit up every so often. The Dominican government will use the $15 tax for a future purchase of helicopters to get the drugs moved out of mountainous growing regions in the West. We have seen this before. I guess this strategy is the under the table discussion at the OAS meetings.

The Colombians blamed "Marxists", the Mexicans blamed "Zapotecs" and it won't be long before the Dominicans assign a face for it's "drug problems".

I can imagine the strategists conversation right now:

"Hey, we've got a bunch of Haitians that nobody likes very much. Let's use them"

yourmomma999
05-07-2009, 03:01 AM
also what are they going to do with them?

Leonel is going to send them top army guys out there to destroy the crops that feed their own kids?

HIghly unlikely that this will do anything except a small amount relative to what is grown in the uninhabited mountain areas will show up as proof as they did something.

I know for sure that Leonel is not going to go with them (the army personnel he would sent out there) and so they are not going to do anti drug ops like the U.S does in central America blowing up the coke labs and burning the coke fields, and killing whoever does not give up and tries to shoot.

More than likely this is part of something to appease the U.S. in its fight against the drug inflow here.

ALthough most of the drugs coming here come by boat or small plane from central America, or by truck or by donkey or foot through mexico, there must be a part of the trade or traffic coming from the DR and the other islands.

There is too much money in it for it not to be. And apparently this country has an evergrowing demand for it.

yourmomma999
05-07-2009, 03:02 AM
as of yet there is no exit fee

Is it $15.00 in addition to the $10.00 tourist card? A total of $25.00? And if I pay this new tax upon entering the country, I will be charged an additional $15.00 as I leave?

Hoseman
05-07-2009, 06:24 AM
They added into your ticket price.The taxesare now over $10 more than they were last year.I went down in Feb and March and I was expecting to pay more.When I purchased my ticket in march I noticed the increase in the taxes I made 8 trips last year and I know what the taxes were my last one in 08 was in Dec.