PDA

View Full Version : 6 US Citizens dead in plane crash!!

3somefan
02-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Plane carrying 6 people crashes off Puerto Rico!!

2 hrs 25 mins ago

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico – A single-engine plane carrying six people crashed into the Atlantic Ocean off the north coast of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Coast Guard said Monday.

Authorities located a debris field off the northwestern city of Quebradillas, and helicopters and boats have been searching for survivors, Coast Guard spokesman Ricardo Castrodad said.

The missing pilot and all five passengers are U.S. citizens, Castrodad said.

Witnesses reported seeing an explosion on the plane before it crashed around nightfall Sunday about a half-mile (a kilometer) offshore, police spokeswoman Jessica Cardona said.

The Cessna 206, chartered by Tropical Aviation Corp., was traveling from the Casa de Campo International Airport in the Dominican Republic to San Juan, according to a Coast Guard news release.

Castrodad said rescue crews were hoping the search for survivors would become easier after daybreak.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090209/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_puerto_rico_plane_crash

MegaSquirt
02-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Welcome to the Bermuda Triangle.
Planes have gone down there before and it won't be the last either.
Where was this plane heading to? Back to DR?

yayow
02-09-2009, 09:34 AM
It was headed to Puerto Rico from D.R.

passasabe
02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
You know what really sucks? They probably had the time of their life in DR. There on the plane reflecting and then thinking...Damn I have to go back to workn in the morning. Then BANG!! Theyre fish food! Well, at least they dont have to go to work anymore :(

Population control at its best...

Don Tomas
02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Well, at least they dont have to go to work anymore

Well look at the bright side, 6 new jobs just opened up in the economy!

I'm demented!:rofl:

DRJones
02-10-2009, 06:02 PM
I read that the airplane caught fire in the air and then exploded, boom, and crashed into the ocean. The took off from Casa de Campo in La Romana. Passengers included a developer so perhaps this tragedy may cost jobs rather than create openings.

MrHappy
02-11-2009, 07:48 AM
I read that the airplane caught fire in the air and then exploded, boom, and crashed into the ocean. The took off from Casa de Campo in La Romana. Passengers included a developer so perhaps this tragedy may cost jobs rather than create openings.

The first I heard that there was an explosion. Now it makes more sense.

The flight path they took, had them directly over the runway at BQN, and there are two small airfields in the vicinity where they went down, plus they would have been able to make it to the Arecibo airport if they had any altitude at all.

But, with an explosion, all bets are out the window. I'd be willing to bet that the subsequent investigation proves a mechanic forgot to do something while it was on the ground in Casa de Campo.

I'm not a big fan of aviation support crews in this country. I had a friend who used to work on corporate jets at AILA, and some of the stories he used to tell me were downright scary.

DRJones
02-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Another article reported that there was NO explosion. What I read was that the airplane reported a fire on board at 5,000 feet. I haven't found confirmation of this. We may have to await the investigation which always takes a long time. They found a couple of bodies but sharks in the waters are a problem. What a way to go!