PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Tejada pleads guilty

NewsWhore
02-12-2009, 02:30 PM
A tearful Miguel Tejada apologized yesterday afternoon (Wednesday) for lying to the US Congress. Tejada, the star shortstop of the Houston Astros, did not take any questions during the brief press conference at Minute Maid Park in Houston. "Simply put, I want to apologize," said Tejada, interrupted several times as he wiped away tears. "I committed a mistake and now I know how serious a mistake it was. I accept the responsibility and I am very sorry for what has happened." Early yesterday, Tejada pleaded guilty of a minor offense for having lied in congressional statements. Tejada's lawyer, Mark Touchey, said that the guilty plea by the player "brought this issue to a conclusion. The sentence will be administered by a judge on 26 March. This date was chosen to give time so that Tejada could participate in spring training and the World Baseball Classic. The Astros do not have a game scheduled that day.
The conditions of the deal were revealed in a letter dated 5 February and sent to Tejada's lawyers. The player had until 23 February to answer. The letter points out that "His declaration of guilt in this case can submit him to detention (jail), deportation or other penalties of the Department of Migration and Customs." Touchey said that "there are no allegations as to the use performance increasing substances by Mr. Tejada." Dressed in a gray suit, white shirt and tie, Tejada told the magistrate Alan Kay in the federal court in Washington that he lied in the statement he made during an interview translated with prosecutors in 2005 regarding the use of banned substances in the Big Leagues. He said, "I did not want to be in this situation. I want to apologize with all the United States because this country gave me the opportunity to be what I am. I am sorry for my family, for the Houston Astros and all the fans of baseball."

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#15)