PDA

View Full Version : The Chicken Stand

BrooklynBeas
11-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Down the block from the Palace and across the street from La Passions Massage is one of the best plates of chicken you are going to get ... i know a lot of people have spoken about this in the past but there was never a thread on this alone...
For 90 pesos you get a half of a chicken from the bbq with yuca and some onions that is marinating in vinegar... very good food and cheap and quick service... usually the chicken is ready around 1-2 pm i ate there about 4 times last week!!!

D_W_
11-29-2004, 04:51 PM
No joke...the secret is that the chicken is constantly being marinated. It reminds me alot of eating chicken in Cartagena. Same flavor.

Cheap and awesome. I've eatien at least 3 times in one short week stay and nothing. Never even belched.

Actually, come to think of it, I've never gotten sick in the DR, but can't say the same about my buds.

I NEVER had seafood in a third world country. You're just playing with your life.

JDR
11-29-2004, 04:53 PM
No joke...the secret is that the chicken constantly being marinated. It reminds alot of eating chicken in Cartagena. Same flavor.

Cheap and awesome. I've eating at least 3 times in one short week stay and nothing. Never even belched.

Actually, come to think of it, I've never gotten sick in the DR, but can't say the same about my buds.

I NEVER had seafood in third world countries. you're just playing with your life.

Can you say SHRIMP!!!

D_W_
11-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Can you say SHRIMP!!!

Tell it to my buddy, when he went into shock over Cuba.

He went from 210lbs. to 155lbs in three months. Took him a almost a year to start feeling normal again.

jd_mine
11-29-2004, 05:53 PM
I got sick of the bbq wings at La Roca this last September. Cost me a day and a half of my holiday. Only time I ever got sick in DR. Except for the regular vague stomach troubles I always get after about 4 days.

gdogg
11-30-2004, 01:38 AM
Down the block from the Palace and across the street from La Passions Massage is one of the best plates of chicken you are going to get ... i know a lot of people have spoken about this in the past but there was never a thread on this alone...
For 90 pesos you get a half of a chicken from the bbq with yuca and some onions that is marinating in vinegar... very good food and cheap and quick service... usually the chicken is ready around 1-2 pm i ate there about 4 times last week!!!

I'm one of the ones that is always talking about this place. Beas, you actually made fun of us for trying to figure out how they seasoned it. It is the greatest!!

continentalmike
11-30-2004, 03:28 AM
I eat a lot at these roadside stalls.. send my gf to get the food or get it myself.. bring it back to the appartment and eat on the balcony or in bed.. while laying around naked, drinking Cuba's.. life is good.. one of my favorite's is the stall in Cabarete.. good chicken, pork or sometimes suasages.. combined with yuca or potatoes and Domenican salad.. I pay RD$ 80 ( I think) for a large portion that easily serves 2.

The food up till now has always been good and healthy enough.. but I do take vitam supplements jsut to be sure and because I drink a lot more on hols..

Also when I'm travelling and pass by a stall in the campo, I just go there and get some food, it's cheap and healthy. You can usually sit on some kind of porch to eat it.. a great place to meet real people, if you speak any Spanish. You'll soon meet some relatively unspoiled girls there too.. they start to come out of the woodwork once you're seated.. maybe that's how Jimmy meets his DR$ 500 chica's?

ilikenyacional
11-30-2004, 08:39 PM
.. they start to come out of the woodwork once you're seated..

Almost sound like an horror movie ha,ha,ha.

What you've said is so true.

BigTrick
11-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Nooo I know this isn't Beas saying how good the chicken stand is. You were talking shit in Gdoggs report. LOL

lmao!! its funny watching you guys go back and forth about chicken seasoning!! add a new forum cooking ideas by mongers!

But it is good. I ate there everyday as usual. And the guy is very conscience about old chicken. He had 2 whole birds on the grill that he wouldn't sell me because they had been sitting there too long. He told me to come back in an hour.

continentalmike
12-01-2004, 02:43 AM
.. they start to come out of the woodwork once you're seated..

Almost sound like an horror movie ha,ha,ha.

What you've said is so true.

Although they're usually very sweet, some are real dogs so a horror movie is a good comparison.. but I much prefer to praphrase Tom Hanks:

The DR is just like a box of chocolates ... you're never know what you're gonna get.. but you will get some choclate :D

BrooklynBeas
12-01-2004, 09:58 AM
extra onions that marinate in that vinegar are the way to go... as for the yuca... im not that big of a fan but my friends love it... i asked him if he can cook me some platino maduros and he said if i brought them to him he would be happy to cook them...

BigTrick
12-01-2004, 11:29 AM
extra onions that marinate in that vinegar are the way to go... as for the yuca... im not that big of a fan but my friends love it... i asked him if he can cook me some platino maduros and he said if i brought them to him he would be happy to cook them...

what exactly is platino maduros? I sure it's plantins prepared some kinds of way

BrooklynBeas
12-01-2004, 01:28 PM
thats the sweet plantain... with all the fuckin grease on it... soft

the one that you see more often in DR is the green plantain that is hard and squashed flat and fried hard

BigTrick
12-01-2004, 02:33 PM

the one that you see more often in DR is the green plantain that is hard and squashed flat and fried hard

O yea....like you get at Jamaican restaurants. I prefer those myself. I guess Dominicans don’t really eat them like that

D_W_
12-01-2004, 02:55 PM

O yea....like you get at Jamaican restaurants. I prefer those myself. I guess Dominicans don’t really eat them like that

Dominicans eat the them both ways.

nuhomet
12-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Mofongo!!!! That's my favorite. You might not be able to take a shit for two days, but it's good.
I generally like my plantains green and fried twice. My wife will even eat the discounted black ones. she mixes them with eggs. Try taking some yellow ones and just throw them on the grill next to your steak. let them get light brown and eat it with the juice from the steak (father in law taught me that one.)

Sorry can't talk food with Gingo Grande

BrooklynBeas
12-01-2004, 04:03 PM

they sure do eat them both ways!